Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Solo century route in Central Valley or Wine Country?

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 07-07-20, 04:09 PM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

So, like I'm sure many of you are, I'm processing my Covid angst by biking most days. Thinking of giving myself a goal - maybe doing a solo century? I'd prefer to start near Sacramento and prioritize roads that are smooth and relatively car free. I'd prefer natural beauty, but the car thing is even bigger. Flat-ish is good too.

Would appreciate any route advice. Also, ideas about water stops these days - prefer to stay super safe. I've done centuries before that were organized, but nothing like this. Any other advice also appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-07-20, 04:59 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by ChillDilettante
So, like I'm sure many of you are, I'm processing my Covid angst by biking most days. Thinking of giving myself a goal - maybe doing a solo century? I'd prefer to start near Sacramento and prioritize roads that are smooth and relatively car free. I'd prefer natural beauty, but the car thing is even bigger. Flat-ish is good too.

Would appreciate any route advice. Also, ideas about water stops these days - prefer to stay super safe. I've done centuries before that were organized, but nothing like this. Any other advice also appreciated. Thanks!
Do the Foxy's Fall route. It gets a bit lumpy as you get towards the back side of Napa and up towards Berryessa, but there's only a couple of proper hills, and it's a beautiful ride. I saw people doing it on fixies and single speeds.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31222665

The old route goes a bit closer to Vacaville on the outbound leg, and adds a couple of small climbs (Steiger barely counts as a climb). https://www.tourofcalifornia.org/201...l-century.html

Water stops; Detour via orchard Ave if you take the Vacaville route. Mankas Corner, Moscowite Corner, Winters. That should be enough to get you home.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 07-07-20, 06:05 PM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
This looks like a real possibility. Will check it out. Thanks.I mean if fixies can do it......
Old 07-07-20, 06:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you want flat, you can't get much flatter than this: https://1bvcds2l78kp3btc1c45z7tx-wpe...century.v3.pdf
Old 07-07-20, 10:25 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Perhaps farther from Sac than you care for but you can do a century in the Sierra Valley which takes you along farms, ranches, etc... by taking two laps that are nearly completely flat and very limited traffic. Google Sierraville and Loyalton, if it’s not too far away I can better describe the route.
Old 07-07-20, 11:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
I'd prefer to start near Sacramento and prioritize roads that are smooth and relatively car free. I'd prefer natural beauty, but the car thing is even bigger. Flat-ish is good too.
Lodi! I finished this century before noon.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-08-20, 12:39 PM
ChillDilettante

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Perhaps farther from Sac than you care for but you can do a century in the Sierra Valley which takes you along farms, ranches, etc... by taking two laps that are nearly completely flat and very limited traffic. Google Sierraville and Loyalton, if it’s not too far away I can better describe the route.
This sounds great. I have access to a place in Truckee, so I could get an early start. Please do share some details. Thank you.
Old 07-08-20, 02:04 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Starting in Sierraville, head West on Hwy 49 to Sattley
At Sattley head North on Beckworth/Calpine Rd to Hwy 70
Take 70 East to Vinton
Take 49 South back to Sierraville for one full lap. You will pass through Loyalton on your way to Sierraville.

On your second lap you will stop in Loyalton which is about 10 miles before Sierraville ending up with a total of about 104 miles. (Sierraville to Sierraville x2 is about 114 miles) It makes more sense to stop there than reach a true 100 stopping in the middle of nowhere. This route is basically a big square (sort of) around the Sierra Valley. Great roads, very little traffic. great scenery and SAFE. I'm planning on doing it solo with gf support in September on a cool day, you are welcome to join and I think there might be one or two others.
Old 07-09-20, 06:14 PM
ChillDilettante

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
That sounds fantastic! I love how simple the wayfinding it, which seems key for a solo ride. I think I'll go ride one lap sometime soon to scope it out. Any suggestions on water stops? I can't quite tell if there might be stores or parks in the middle section. Please do keep me in the loop on your September plan! Thanks so much.
Old 07-09-20, 06:20 PM
Tomm Willians

That sounds fantastic! I love how simple the wayfinding it, which seems key for a solo ride. I think I'll go ride one lap sometime soon to scope it out. Any suggestions on water stops? I can't quite tell if there might be stores or parks in the middle section. Please do keep me in the loop on your September plan! Thanks so much.
Other than Sierraville and Loyalton there are zero possibilities for resupply and they being only 10-12 miles away from each other means you’re riding most of the loop before you run into either one. There are no active stores in Vinton, Sattley or Beckworth so don’t waste your time. The basic plan ( STC) with the gf support team is that she will park at designated points around the loop with whatever we need and once all riders have passed drive to the next point.

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 07-09-20 at 06:24 PM.