Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal recommendation for 10,000 mile bike ride

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 06:32 AM
David78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all - I am looking to purchase durable single entry spd pedals that are flat on other side. My thinking is that I'd prefer sealed bearings over unsealed. My price point is 100 bucks or less. Any recommendations on such pedals that can last the 10000 mile trip? I will be on developed roadway the entire time so mud, gravel, dirt will be limited. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-20, 08:15 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Shimano PD-EH500. Successor to the venerable PD-A530 but now with grip pins so if you need to ride flats your feet won't slip! Ticks all your boxes, single sided, sealed, under a hunner. I'd buy a pair myself if my A530s would die, but they won't... think I'll drill and tap them and install pins instead.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 07-19-20, 09:48 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Shimano PD-EH500. Successor to the venerable PD-A530 but now with grip pins so if you need to ride flats your feet won't slip! Ticks all your boxes, single sided, sealed, under a hunner. I'd buy a pair myself if my A530s would die, but they won't... think I'll drill and tap them and install pins instead.
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion! This appears at first glance to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-19-20, 10:29 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Also check the Shimano PD-M324. SPD on one side,old school on the other. I run these on my tandems and gravel bike, and run the PD-EH500‘s on my road bike. I can recommend both.

Where are you riding?
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 07-19-20, 05:01 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Also check the Shimano PD-M324. SPD on one side,old school on the other.
I use PD-M324s on the tandems and commuter bike and am generally happy. One downside: They're chrome steel and rust where they get scratched. And they're about 150 grams heavier than the PD-EH500, I believe.
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 07-19-20, 10:01 PM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also check the Shimano PD-M324. SPD on one side,old school on the other. I run these on my tandems and gravel bike, and run the PD-EH500‘s on my road bike. I can recommend both.

Where are you riding?
I'm doing a solo ride circumnavigating the US. The plan is to spend as much time camping in the woods and avoid cities (with the exception of a few) God willing, lots of national parks, forests, and state parks are in the picture. The trip will take about a year. While I could pump out multiple 100 mile days back to back that's not my goal. Rather it's to enjoy the journey and determine whether this life given my skill set could be a sustainable existence for me. It's actually about 13000 miles. However as of right now it's a waiting game to see what will happen with covid19. Additionally, I broke my wrist while training and am in a cast until it heals.
Old 07-20-20, 02:35 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I have done a coast-to-coast ride (although not 10K miles) with Shimano PD-M324 pedals and found them to be great.
Likes For Tony Marley:
Old 07-20-20, 05:49 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by David78
I'm doing a solo ride circumnavigating the US. ....
sounds like a great adventure. If you haven’t planned to already, suggest you chronicle your ride with an online blog. Great way for your family and friends to journey with you and it’s fun years later to go back and relive the experience. This pandemic will be over before we know it and things should return to normal (depending on how you define normal 😁j. Good luck!
Likes For Alcanbrad:
Old 07-20-20, 07:51 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I've used both the 324 and the 530. For touring my preference would the the 530(EH500) style, because the platform is more comfortable in thongs (flip flops-rubber sandals to you barbarians) So if you do a "quick" ride to the supermarket from your campsite to pick something up and then end up visiting 3 shops (because one is closed and one out of stock) to get what you need it's more comfortable.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 07-20-20, 10:15 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like a great adventure. If you haven’t planned to already, suggest you chronicle your ride with an online blog. Great way for your family and friends to journey with you and it’s fun years later to go back and relive the experience. This pandemic will be over before we know it and things should return to normal (depending on how you define normal 😁j. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm super excited. I do plan to have an online journal.
Old 07-27-20, 05:54 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: PD-eh500 were purchased last week. Installing today. Buying some marine grease.