Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Clicking noise in fork

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Clicking noise in fork

Old 07-26-20, 07:40 PM
Sealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clicking noise in fork

I just performed my first fork lowers cleaning on a Rockhopper I bought recently (2017 Rockhopper Sport). The fork is a Suntour XCM. After doing the servicing, I've noticed a clicking noise when depressing the fork suspension. I need to depress the suspension quite far to get the click (60-70mm of 100mm of travel). It seems like the click is coming from left stanchion (the side with the spring in it).

For the servicing, I mostly followed
. I found no oil in the fork. The left stanchion, the one with the spring in it, had a large plastic piece on the end that sits at the bottom of the lowers. The right stanchion had the hydraulic lock out which was enclosed. I wiped everything off with some citrus-based degreaser and some rags, and I applied Slickoleum liberally (I think?) on the stanchions and in the lowers. The suspension actually glides quite nicely now and there's no black grease coming out of the lowers. I did not open the fork uppers during the servicing. I'm worried that maybe the uppers are not seated in the lowers correctly leading to this clicking noise.

I also cleaned and re-greased the headset during this. I used Slickoleum for this too. It's a simple ball and cage headset from FSA. I wasn't paying close attention when I took it apart, and I had some trouble putting it back together in the correct order as I couldn't find a product number for it. I managed to find a video of someone servicing a nearly identical headset. I'm pretty confident it's seated correctly and properly tightened (the fork is tight with the frame).

Finally, I'm not 100% sure the clicking is new or not. It could just be that I'm paying more attention. I also just removed a kickstand from the bike that it came with. The kickstand was really loud when riding and it could've masked the clicking of the fork.
Old 07-27-20, 05:51 PM
Sealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If anyone is interested, I think the sound is just the coil suspension in the fork contacting the side of the stanchion during compression. Basically, springs in coil forks can bend/buckle as they're compressed and click against the inside of the stanchion. Nice coil forks have shrink-wrap around the spring in the stanchion that mitigates this, but my fork is far from nice. I don't think the clicking noise I'm getting is a problem.
Likes For Sealth: