Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Veloplugs...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Veloplugs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 10:24 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Veloplugs...

Veloplugs as a solution for too tight rims? I have some tubeless wheels by HED that are *ridiculously* tight. I have been wrestling with these things since I got them. I've posted about it a few times, sorry. After finally learning the proper technique (use the drop channel, get the bead off the shelf first) I was able to change a flat on the road with them. Anyway, I retaped them with this nice Whiskey brand tape and the next flat I got on the road was STUCK. I couldn't budge the bead off the shelf with all my strength--huge blisters on both thumbs. I was so pissed that I put them on eBay and CL.

TL;DR my actual question here... Might it be possible to make tire changes easier on these with Veloplugs? What I was thinking of trying was putting a thin layer of wax or maybe petroleum jelly on the drop channel. With no tape to "bunch" up under the bead maybe I'll be able to get tires on and off more easily. I would be happier to use these with tubes as my road only set. Beats selling them for half what I paid.
Old 08-04-20, 11:38 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
Veloplugs as a solution for too tight rims?
They're less bad.

Use two wraps of 1 mil Kapton tape (16mm 5/8" for standard; 19mm 3/4" for contemporary wide rims) totaling 0.005" versus 0.010" for thin rim tapes, a bit more for two wraps of Stan's or filament tape, and 0.020" for traditional. That also provides more clearance than Velo Plugs. Even Velo Plug maker Velocity USA recommends a thin tape for their tightest tubeless ready rims.

Also start 180 degrees opposite from the valve. Make a final continuous pass milking slack around while maintaining tension to keep the second bead in the depression before flipping the last bit over.

TL;DR my actual question here... Might it be possible to make tire changes easier on these with Veloplugs?
Yes, but the thinner Kapton provides enough clearance to hand mount tires so tight you cussed at tools with Veloplugs.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-06-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-04-20, 11:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Drew is right on target. Kapton (aka Capton, Captan, Kaptan ) tape for the win.
Old 08-04-20, 11:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've got the Veloplugs on one bike.

Velocity Aerohead & Aerohead OC rims.

I don't think they do real well with some shapes of channels. Nonetheless, part of the problem with the OC rim was that the spoke holes were also off center, bringing them awfully close to the edge of the rim.

But, the off-center nature of the rim also pushed the veloplugs off-center, potentially exposing spoke hole.

My solution was the Veloplugs PLUS 1 wrap of electrical tape.
Old 08-04-20, 12:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stiff fused loop plastic rim tape deals with double wall rim holes over the spoke nip, pretty well ..
& pops out all & once, if you need to replace a spoke..

Old 08-04-20, 01:51 PM
showlow

I like the idea of Kapton tape. Going to try that. But, what about using a bead wax? I imagine that a thin layer of some kind of lubricating wax that doesn't evaporate might make it easier to pop the bead out of the channel when I need to. Maybe petroleum jelly?
Old 08-04-20, 04:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
report how it works out for you..
Old 08-05-20, 03:53 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
I like the idea of Kapton tape. Going to try that. But, what about using a bead wax? I imagine that a thin layer of some kind of lubricating wax that doesn't evaporate might make it easier to pop the bead out of the channel when I need to. Maybe petroleum jelly?
No lube, stiction can be a big part of the equation here even with a very tight tire. .
Old 08-05-20, 07:20 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I would not use petroleum jelly as it can cause some rubber compounds to harden or break down over time. I use the Scwwalbe tire mounting fluid and it is fantastic really for troublesome tires. It makes it easy to get the tire over the rim and for the tire to pop out and seat properly, then it fully evaporates and leaves no residue. Kind of like magic, it does exactly what it is supposed to do...
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 08-06-20, 03:47 PM
showlow

Originally Posted by merziac
No lube, stiction can be a big part of the equation here even with a very tight tire. .
Somebody finally bought them on eBay so I had to box them up and ship them off. Sucks, because I really liked the wheels a lot, but, I couldn't use them because I lived in constant fear of a flat. It just wasn't worth it. Took a little loss and I'm moving on. Might try some Hunt wheels instead.