Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 03:46 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
We can disagree on some points here.

You say it is extremely common that high end bikes are bought because they are high end bikes. This could be a common belief that some folks hold because people say it, not because there is evidence or proof. People used to think the earth was flat
Well, pretty much all evidence on this subject is anecdotal, but I do have a fair bit of that.

I raced until recently. I still have a lot to do with racers. Every season racers turn up with new bikes, of course. In many cases they are an obvious upgrade on the previous equipment. In others, not so much. Sometimes it is indulgent parents thinking that their teenage Merckx has to have the best. We had a 13 year-old kid in our club racing on a WindyMilla with firecrest wheels and Di2, the bike was worth £7000 (over $10000). The kid was good, he'd have been winning on a £600 aluminium frame that he'd grow out of no less slowly. His parents should have known better.

But it isn't just the kids and their proud parents. An elderly Cat 3 friend of mine turned up on a Venge last season. I asked him if it made him any faster and he assured me it did. It didn't, of course, or not to the point that it improved his chances, he was still the one-paced slightly overweight diesel he's always been. But he really really enjoyed the attention the bike got in the car park. He's in his fifties but cost-benefit analysis and diminishing returns were far from his thoughts when he bought that bike - he just wanted it. And he's not alone. Just as in golf there are 24-handicappers who buy a new set of Pings every year in the vain hope it will turn them into better players, in cycling there are pack-fodder racers, some of them our age, who simply have to have the best and latest even though the 250 gram saving is dwarfed by what they ate last week. It isn't about performance, it's about self-image.
Old 12-23-15, 04:03 AM
TriDanny47

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Any chance we could get away from the us versus them? Me being guilty of that at times, too. The point of the OP was more about folks in this age range looking at prices a little differently. Maybe seeing expensive differently? Maybe seeing buying something they truly love being less price dependent, and if expensive possibly less expensive over time due to fewer replacement bikes/parts?
To answer your original question - most people peak in income by 50, I woukd think, and if they managed their finances well and had no financial disasters should have a good equity/debt ratio by this age ... So more disposable income. But that is only half the story ... You have to have it to spend it ... But you also have to be willing to spend it. Attitudes about money are going to dictate how that plays out. Human nature being what it is ... You will have both ends of the bell curve, from the extreme misers to the profligate spenders.

Personally ... My income is peak, I have more assets now than ever, house fully paid for, paid cash for my last car 2 years ago have no debt ... Single no kids ... I have a dog and set up a pet trust for him if things go south while he is alive and healthy ... Some siblings who are my named beneficiaries but none of them desperately need $ either. So if I want something I tend to buy it sooner or later.

Alas ... There is a flip side to that which is now playing out ... Too many good intentions and plans ... Resulting in too much "stuff" sitting around unused. I told myself I'm DONE in the new year buying anything bike until I get everything I now own fully into service ... I don't want a repeat of my "small appliance graveyard" experience of about 10 years ago ... Said I was going to ditch eating out and cook from scratch at home ... Bought a lot of kitchen appliances cookware etc - used things like a pasta maker or an ice cream maker maybe twice ... Just sits there in the graveyard cabinets in my kitchen.
Old 12-23-15, 04:29 AM
TriDanny47

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Also ... Where you are is going to be a factor. My town is kinda "Tale of Two Cities" - pretty wealthy suburb upper middle class with all the bells and whistles - local mall has Nieman Marcus, SFA, Nordtrom etc, upscale designer boutiques in the downtown shopping district, lot of Mercedes and similar cars in the driveways, 3000 square foot and up homes for anything built in the last 40 years ... County seat a few miles down the road is pretty inner city poverty ... Big rust belt city 20 miles away that is the hub of the region is notorious as a symbol of urban decay and poverty ... But it's at least coming back in the downtown.

It's pretty easy to get caught up in a habit when the dealers are everywhere. In the urban center it's drugs ... In my town bike addiction is just as easily fed ... 3 LBS's, a Performance store, a regional chain store, a couple of ski/snowboard shops that try to fill in the summer sales with a decent selection of bikes, REI, and you can always get a tube or CO2 cylinders etc 24/7 at a couple of big box stores if desperate. Two bike clubs through two of the shops ... my gym has a bike club ... A really nice local and regional path and trail system of MUPs. So it's an easy addiction to feed.
Old 12-23-15, 04:55 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Simple enough...

Less bucks, more bikes.

Nobody will let us hoard pets, so there are bikes.
Old 12-23-15, 05:40 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The thing about bikes is that nearly everyone, if they're possessed, has within reach virtually any bike they desire. Not so with cars and boats.
Old 12-23-15, 06:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have always tended to things on my own. Shoot, I even prefer to ride alone (yeahhh all by myself)

That said, I cant stand Huffy's or Schwinns. Just sayin'. Am I elitist? Nope, not by a longshot. I dont care for the new Cannondales, Treks, Colnagos but I sure have a liking to the old ones.
Old 12-23-15, 06:14 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I do not know how many of the posts you read or did not read, but the market did come up during this discussion. We could waste time arguing about the merits of the different price points and features, but it would be wasted efforts. Given I have no debt and a pretty solid financial plan, I see it as a balance. Both my father and uncle passed away not enjoying the financial freedom they worked hard to earn.

So, I have very nice bikes. I try to ride the wheels off of them. I will not pass away with as large of a number for my children to fight over, but still a large number. Please note, I was debt free before my fathers' passing and most of his money is in a fund for my stepmother. I did not feel like hearing any silliness over that.

I do wonder if you, and anyone who only buys entry level bikes, would enjoy your cycling more with higher end bikes? But, I am tired after a long day and this is way off the point of the OP. And, hopefully when I wake up in the morning, there are more posts on topic.
You asked for the opinions of other 50+ cyclists in your OP regarding buying expensive bikes, and I merely offered mine. It was not my intention to offend anyone with it.
Old 12-23-15, 07:24 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
As we get older many of us ride for pure enjoyment and are not trying to get the last millimeter of competitive edge out of our bikes so spending multiple thousands to shave a few ounces may not appeal. Also, a lot of 50+ members are more interested in continually buying or building N+1 bikes and thus may aim for more affordable to ensure more often. My wife and I have gone both directions. We have ridden moderately priced cyclocross bikes for many years and were pretty happy with them but more recently had bikes custom built to our carefully fitted specifications. Both of us are very happy with these new bikes, my wife far more so than I. My take is that I would rather have divided that extravagance into the purchase of maybe three off the shelf bikes over a few years. My wife's reaction is that a perfectly comfortable ride is the answer to her dreams. Probably the most important factor is that we live below our means overall and can easily afford to splurge on bikes which mean a lot to us. So why not?

Edit: I am a lousy mechanic or I would probably be most interested in rebuilding classic, beautiful lugged steel frames into show pieces.

Last edited by donheff; 12-23-15 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 07:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have a hard time figuring out why some people need to judge others, and in relation to this thread's content, why someone needs to judge what bicycle another person has chosen to buy/ride/build. If they are so perfect, and have nothing else to worry about other than deciding what others should ride, there are more pressing problems in the world they could be solving with their superior intellect, and knowledge. If you have the coins to buy high end bicycles and kit, its good that you do, regardless of you abilities. There is no test or qualifying I am aware of to be allowed to do so, and conversely, if you enjoy riding an inexpensive, lower cost and equipped bicycle, good for you, its no reason for you to be degrading others for buying a more expensive bicycle. (Why do some feel its their place to be judging what others ride?)

I am in much the same boat as TriDanny, health-wise, and cycling pretty well saved my life, according to my doctors, and by me also, for that fact. The fact I have an entry level ride, no upgrades to speak of, chose to wear Lycra shorts and cycling jerseys, is my choice, and mine alone. Its the fact I get to ride when I want to, for as long, and as far as I want to, that makes me happy to be on a bicycle. This is probably the biggest factor in why I don't judge anyone about their choice of ride, also. I have no idea as to what their abilities, or their bank balance is, its absolutely none of my business.

I suspect that some of those that are getting their panties in a wad, about choosing a mid or high end bicycle, is that they may well be jealous of the more expensive ride that is bugging them. And, for a rich, snobby person to look down their nose at someone about the level of bicycle they are riding is just plain wrong, and speaks to their morals. You see this in other areas of interest, as well. cooking and cars were mentioned, I've listened to a lot of this fighting over the years. Maybe middle level income folks are in the driver's seat here, they can gripe and comment about both sides of this argument.

End of the line, its a lot of human nature that is powering all of this, and the thoughts being put forward. We all have the right to act, and speak, as we choose, bit its not always to wisest thing to speak our thoughts out loud, or type them out. I will end by saying that I wish everyone here, A Very Merry Christmas, or that they had a wonderful Hanukkah, or which ever event you choose, without any judgement about their choice of beliefs, either.

Bill

Edit: all those that disagree with my thoughts, you may now proceed to tear me a new one, laugh at me, or poke holes in my post, I won't be judging you for doing so.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-23-15 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 08:16 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To be fair, Bill, with one or two exceptions I see surprisingly little "judging" going on here. Mostly the debate seems to be about the various motives for the purchases, rather than castigating the purchasers.

As I said earlier, for me the difference in cost between ordinary and good is well worth paying. The much greater difference in cost for the much smaller difference in function between good and best is not, generally. But that doesn't mean I think I'm superior to those who take a different view, however weak or strong a cyclist they might be.

And what is good depends on context, of course. My most expensive bike is the heaviest and slowest, a 36 lb expedition tourer with a Rohloff hub, because indestructibility rather than speed and agility was the priority. And I have a custom steel road bike - seriously expensive by many people's standards, but worth it to me for aesthetics and perfection of fit and handling, and peanuts by comparison with the top-of-the-range Propel or Cervelo or whatever. And, and... . We all make our choices, and I don't see that it's unacceptable to debate the various motives for those choices.
Old 12-23-15, 08:25 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Shoot, I even prefer to ride alone (yeahhh all by myself)
Just so you know ... that Thorogood reference did no pass unnoticed by everyone.

Oh ... and I love Schwinns. I'd still be riding my old Fastback (Tanya) if it weren't so appropriate to give to the chillun. Huffy's not so much.

Old 12-23-15, 08:59 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You asked for the opinions of other 50+ cyclists in your OP regarding buying expensive bikes, and I merely offered mine. It was not my intention to offend anyone with it.
I think I was tired and let the grumpy side out, sorry.
Old 12-23-15, 09:14 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by chasm54
To be fair, Bill, with one or two exceptions I see surprisingly little "judging" going on here. Mostly the debate seems to be about the various motives for the purchases, rather than castigating the purchasers.

As I said earlier, for me the difference in cost between ordinary and good is well worth paying. The much greater difference in cost for the much smaller difference in function between good and best is not, generally. But that doesn't mean I think I'm superior to those who take a different view, however weak or strong a cyclist they might be.

And what is good depends on context, of course. My most expensive bike is the heaviest and slowest, a 36 lb expedition tourer with a Rohloff hub, because indestructibility rather than speed and agility was the priority. And I have a custom steel road bike - seriously expensive by many people's standards, but worth it to me for aesthetics and perfection of fit and handling, and peanuts by comparison with the top-of-the-range Propel or Cervelo or whatever. And, and... . We all make our choices, and I don't see that it's unacceptable to debate the various motives for those choices.
I agree that there is very little judging going on here, which I am grateful to see. I greatly enjoy the discussion and opinions, even if late in the evening my inner grumpy appeared.

I was thinking about the good versus best debate. Sometimes I buy good and sometimes I buy best, when it comes to components. For example, MTB shifters below a certain point struggle to shift under load, are crunchy when they shift, do not feel as good to the fingers, and just are not that pretty. But, near the top of the good zone they do all those things well. Then, the best shifters are just lighter. MTB brakes are a different story. Good MTB brakes, like XTs function very well. But, the best MTB brakes are not just lighter. The XTRs are lighter, have more power, and most importantly have amazing feel, both in braking performance and tactile feel.

So, for me, it is well worth it to spend that extra money for certain things, like XTRs. However, when I was younger and had no money, I would have been extremely happy to buy good, like XT.
Old 12-23-15, 09:16 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
To be fair, Bill, with one or two exceptions I see surprisingly little "judging" going on here. Mostly the debate seems to be about the various motives for the purchases, rather than castigating the purchasers....snip
You may well be right, Chas, but too many times I have read posts that are very judgmental about the level of someones bike, here, and in other of the Forums in BF. We each have our take on what is being asked, I was only giving my thoughts on what I have read. No one is singled out, and I fully accept that I could be incorrect. To each their own, I suppose.

If anything I am guilty of expanding well beyond the OPs intent, to include the general tendencies in the various fora. But, I am probably guilty of a whole lot more, too. Merry Christmas to all.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-23-15, 09:38 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
You may well be right, Chas, but too many times I have read posts that are very judgmental about the level of someones bike, here, and in other of the Forums in BF. We each have our take on what is being asked, I was only giving my thoughts on what I have read. No one is singled out, and I fully accept that I could be incorrect. To each their own, I suppose.

If anything I am guilty of expanding well beyond the OPs intent, to include the general tendencies in the various fora. But, I am probably guilty of a whole lot more, too. Merry Christmas to all.

Bill
i do think (know) in general there is tremendous judging that goes on, but that this thread has escaped that to a large degree. I said know above, given the crap I took for putting Reynolds wheels on my commuter (Spesh Sirrus). Nobody asked me why I did, yet instead provided their unbridled opinions on the stupidity of doing that. Yet, I love those wheels. Light, strong, pretty, and I got a ridiculously good deal on them. That experience made me more aware of the "why do you care what I ride" thinking, and keeps me curious about what others are thinking. I literally ask people that question when someone in person has the -whatever you might call it- to criticize my bike. The answers range from "sorry" and a quick ride off, to jerky snobs, to great discussions. I tend to get the best discussions around my Venge, though. I have WI pedals and clips on it. People have made some snotty comments about that, my age, and my lack of wearing tight fitting kit when riding my aero bike, and THOSE pedals. I have experienced the same things with those folks when I ask them, Why do you care so much about my bike? I love my Venge for that occasional ride when I want to feel fast, noting I am not really fast. But, my times on a specific ride are decent. I love the bike because it is the fastest bike I have owned, knowing I cannot max it out is OK with me. I got a great deal on it. And, it had caught my eye because it is beautiful to me. If anyone is curious, I use clipped pedals after 30+ years of martial arts heavily damaged my knees. Biking, without mashing, has saved my knees.
Old 12-23-15, 09:48 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There are so many different types of bike, different levels and configurations of bike and components, different reasons for riding and different reasons for choosing whatever you choose. As long as what you choose doesn't harm someone else or put you or your family into financial distress, it's all good.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 12-23-15 at 09:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-23-15, 09:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
...I am an iconoclast and a non-conformist. I really don' care to fit in with others.

I bought my bikes and I ride my bikes not to impress anyone nor to fit in with a certain crowd...
I am impressed by this.
Old 12-23-15, 09:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
This is a very common attitude. The implication is that people who aren't great cyclists shouldn't have great bikes. They don't deserve it, is that it? Or at least, the bikes are wasted on them?

I can't see it, myself. People are entitled to spend their money as they choose. I don't expect people with expensive cars to have the skills of F1 drivers, I don't expect people with the latest Cervelo to climb like Pantani. And I certainly don't expect them to put off buying their Cervelo until they can.
+1. Back in '93 I went to pick up a new Italian road frame built up to my specs. Some guy in the shop asked one of the employees who went to the front of the store for a second if I "deserved that bike." Wish I had heard him say it. I am paying for it so damn right I deserve it. Earlier this year I dropped over $7K (including 8% sales tax and ceramic coating) for a custom Ti frame built with DA 9000. The final price tag did not even include wheels, which I switched over from the custom frame I was retiring. I have an odd body (e.g., my calves are basically the same length ad my thighs) so I got a great fitting, custom bike that won't rust like my IF. At the same time I patronized a local business owned and run by a city resident. Plenty of people with less expensive bikes ride faster than I do. I couldn't care less. I got what I wanted and really enjoy it.
Old 12-23-15, 09:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
... An elderly Cat 3 friend of mine ... He's in his fifties ...
Holy smokes! I'm 56, and still feel fabulous riding. Elderly?

As to the question - it still astonishes me how much my puny ego wants to reign and rule over things.

I'll argue that I can tell the difference between a well-fitting bike and one that doesn't. And can readily tell when I'm on a really good wheelset. ...and enjoy the feeling of a fine frame...
Old 12-23-15, 10:07 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

As to the question - it still astonishes me how much my puny ego wants to reign and rule over things.

I'll argue that I can tell the difference between a well-fitting bike and one that doesn't. And can readily tell when I'm on a really good wheelset. ...and enjoy the feeling of a fine frame...
Good wheels are hard to argue. If folks who do not want to spend large sums on bikes got hooked on good wheels they might get addicted in many ways
Old 12-23-15, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
If you could find just one more thing to bring upon you the wrath of the unhappy, you would have a trifecta. You need to work harder on that, no slacking.
How 'bout:
Posters/cyclists who claim/imply that anyone who doesn't ride a bike (product, style, technique) just like themselves are NOT worthy. Not only that, but such lowlifes are ruining cycling for the True/Real/Serious Cyclists™ like "us."

Another trifecta entry is: posters/cyclists who imply that people who don't ride bikes as often as themselves (or not at all) are obese, fat, slobs despoiling the Earth.
Old 12-23-15, 10:27 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Thank goodness cyclists don't only have to have bikes commensurate with their abilities or I'd be riding around on a rusty old supermarket special.

All my bikes are too good for me!
Old 12-23-15, 10:28 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How 'bout:
Posters/cyclists who claim/imply that anyone who doesn't ride a bike (product, style, technique) just like themselves are NOT worthy. Not only that, but such lowlifes are ruining cycling for the True/Real/Serious Cyclists™ like "us."

Another trifecta entry is: posters/cyclists who imply that people who don't ride bikes as often as themselves (or not at all) are obese, fat, slobs despoiling the Earth.
What if real cyclist was defined as anyone who is passionate at some level?

I do think folks should ride their bikes, that is what bikes are for.... But, it is their bike and I do not need to understand.

i guess that is were I struggle with some folks. I can see having a discussion with my wife or a good friend about the general concept of - why buy a bike if you are not going to ride it-, yet I cannot imagine giving a stranger crap about it. There is a huge difference between providing an opinion when asked and giving someone a hard time to fulfill some inner need a person might have to judge others.

In the end, bikes supposed to bring joy at many levels in a country in which bikes are rarely a necessity.
Old 12-23-15, 10:32 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Thank goodness cyclists don't only have to have bikes commensurate with their abilities or I'd be riding around on a rusty old supermarket special.

All my bikes are too good for me!
Imagine what it would look like if we had to take skills/abilities testing to qualify to own certain bikes? Would there be any special factors for age? I do have one leg about an inch shorter than the other.... Could that get me a special pass?
Old 12-23-15, 10:34 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Are you racing Cat3, though? That was the context in which I was describing him. Being 20 years older than the average rider in the field makes one an elderly racer.

And you and he are both younger than me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.