Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Recovery this time of year

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 04:56 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Back out riding with the onset of spring, what could be better? The ability to recover after the riding would help. I have read that as we age, recovery time increases, and I feel it this week. I went out and fought the wind 2 days in a row, and I just can't get out again today. Having a job where I'm on my feet all day doesn't help either. I know as I add more rides, more miles on the rides, and the temperature continues to increase, I will feel better quicker, but for now, I'm thinking about couching it tonight.
Old 03-22-16, 05:19 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate riding in wind, especially gusty. Did it today, high 60's and sunny, 'cause we're under a blizzard warning for late tonight through tomorrow and that will be fer me a couple days couch time.

I've had minimal recovery time increase issues as I've aged. Consider myself quite lucky in that respect.

Last edited by ltxi; 03-22-16 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 09:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I knew it was going to be windy Tuesday so I went out deliberately to see how well my conditioning is progressing after six months of riding 3-4 times a week. There was a steady 22 mph quartering wind, mostly in my face both directions, with gusts over 30 mph. My average speed is 12 mph and on good days I can maintain that pace for an hour before I need a break for a few minutes.

I just started using Cyclemeter (after a recommendation from another BF member) and it showed my pace slowed only slightly, to just under 12 mph over my usual 12 mile route Tuesday. That really surprised me because my legs felt dead, and I seldom got into the second chain ring. It felt like I was going only 5-8 mph.

The main difference I've noticed over the past six months is not that I'm riding any faster over distance, but my rest breaks and recovery days are shorter. Last year I often needed 15 minutes to recover from an asthma attack after only 3-5 miles. Then I needed a couple of days to recover from rides longer than 10 miles. Now I usually need only a minute or two to recover from asthma, and only a day's rest after 20-30 mile rides.
Old 03-23-16, 08:26 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't begrudge recovery time as I usually only ride 3-4 times weekly once I've re-found my legs. I have found however, as I've gotten less young, that it takes a lot longer to warm up.