Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you clean your bikes?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-19-20, 12:01 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

I began winter commuting in 2018. I do so on a big box store bike that I really don't care about. A quick spray down with the hose at work each day is all it gets. I have no way of cleaning it at home, so it sits in a somewhat heated (warmer than the outside) basement with the salt laden slush dripping off of it until it dries. Corrosion has taken over potions of this bike. I am sure that the spoke nipples are permanently part of the wheels at this point.

I recently purchased a fat bike that I do care about, and I am terrified of rust and corrosion. I have no way of cleaning it once it is home - short of putting it in the bath tub. How do you keep your "good bikes" in good shape during the winter?

Last edited by medic75; 01-19-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 03:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Don't worry about rust, most steel frames will outlast you....I don't really do any special cleaning. Spraying a bike with a water hose or washing it in a shower is a bad idea because water and moisture will get inside a frame and stay there for a long time...Serious rust usually starts inside the frame and not on the outside...I usually just wipe the dirt and salt with a dry rag. The only thing I rinse regularly with water is disc brake calipers to get all the salt out of them...I recommend spraying some rustproofing oil inside a steel frame and don't worry too much about the outside. I have two steel framed bikes which are 12 years old and have been ridden in the worst winter conditions and the frames are as good as new. Both of my frames have been treated with rustproofing oil on the inside.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-19-20, 03:29 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I live right in the city and my building has no outside hose situation. I keep a towel I don't care about in the garage and wipe the bike down fairly well after a ride, more so in the wet, obviously. Once a week, or, after a long ride (100 miles, say), I carefully place it in the shower under pretty warm water. Rinse everything down, Run my hands over the brakes, pedals, tubes, saddle, quickly, just pulling off the stuff that isn't coming with just the warm water. Personally,, I do the rear end first then the front.

When the water starts to run clearer, out comes the bike onto some crappy old towels. A quickie dry job with one of those and the bike is done. Took 14 minutes today. Another 5 to clean up the tub/shower/bathroom area. So, about 20 minutes once a week and the bike stays looking pretty darn good for this time of year. That's my urban living solution. I'm sure other people have other ideas.

Old 01-19-20, 03:39 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't worry about rust, most steel frames will outlast you....I don't really do any special cleaning. Spraying a bike with a water hose or washing it in a shower is a bad idea because water and moisture will get inside a frame and stay there for a long time...Serious rust usually starts inside the frame and not on the outside...I usually just wipe the dirt and salt with a dry rag. The only thing I rinse regularly with water is disc brake calipers to get all the salt out of them...I recommend spraying some rustproofing oil inside a steel frame and don't worry too much about the outside. I have two steel framed bikes which are 12 years old and have been ridden in the worst winter conditions and the frames are as good as new. Both of my frames have been treated with rustproofing oil on the inside.
Out here in the Land Of The Endless Rain (Portland/ Seattle), we put our bikes in a greaaaaat big shower every time we go for a ride, pretty much every day from early November to May. It rains literally for weeks on end here with no break. No serious, legit Pacific Northwest rider stops riding in the winter--none that I know, anyway. We just gear up and go. And I don't think our bikes are in any worse shape than those in Boston or Manhattan.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-19-20, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Out here in the Land Of The Endless Rain (Portland/ Seattle), we put our bikes in a greaaaaat big shower every time we go for a ride, pretty much every day from early November to May. It rains literally for weeks on end here with no break. No serious, legit Pacific Northwest rider stops riding in the winter--none that I know, anyway. We just gear up and go. And I don't think our bikes are in any worse shape than those in Boston or Manhattan.
Here we have something a lot worse than rain and it's called road salt and it can be very corrosive.. During some bad winters my bikes are getting " salt spray baths " for days on end...On dry winter days the air sometimes has a salty taste, when the wind blows around all the dried out salt that's on the roads.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-19-20, 06:46 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Here we have something a lot worse than rain and it's called road salt and it can be very corrosive.. During some bad winters my bikes are getting " salt spray baths " for days on end...On dry winter days the air sometimes has a salty taste, when the wind blows around all the dried out salt that's on the roads.
Yes, what wolfchild said - SALT. That is my concern. I have included a couple photos of my commuter for reference. While my fat bike doesn't see much road use, it does get attched to the bike rack and gets covered in all of the stuff that my vehicles tires kick up.

Old 01-19-20, 06:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
bucket, long handle soft brush, check the big box auto cleaning aisle. warm water & dawn dish soap

I've since replaced the long handled brush cuz it got too greasy & I stopped using wet lube. the long handled brush is really the most useful one for me. if I stay on top of my cleaning I don't have to use the others & solvents

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-21-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-20-20, 10:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by medic75
I have no way of cleaning it once it is home - short of putting it in the bath tub
why is that? I don't understand. do you live in an apartment?
Old 01-20-20, 11:06 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
have no way of cleaning it once it is home - short of putting it in the bath tub. How do you keep your "good bikes" in good shape during the winter?
Every week or every two weeks, depending on the weather, I take my bicycle outside and wipe the whole thing down, first with a PARC tool and then clean the chain with solvent and then wipe down with Clorox wipes. I believe I learned about this method from other posters.

I would also suggest regularly checking the PSI on your tires to make sure they are not too over-inflated and not too underinflated.
Old 01-20-20, 11:13 AM
Phoenix800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
My main problem is road salt. After each ride I rinse it off using my wife's watering can from her flower garden. I fill it up with warm water and then shower the bike with it. My bike then gets stored in my garage that is at 40F. The next day, the bike is dry and I spray down derailleurs with PB Blaster (penetrating oil) and lube the chain. I also spray the spoke nipples once in a while.
Old 01-25-20, 10:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I've lived in apartments for most of my life. You don't need any special facilities or a lot of space. You can spread newspapers on the floor. Or you can mop the floor after you're done. Use a bucket and some soap and water and then maybe some metal polish if you like. Sometimes a solvent such as mineral spirits helps cut the worst of the grime.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-25-20, 12:07 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Road salt can be a bike and/or component killer if you don't hose your bike down and lubricate/grease. One winter, I almost reduced my Giant Defy to scrap value due to neglecting to wash it down and it's still got a stuck seatpin that will remain in there until it gets thrown into the furnace. Nowadays, I hose my bike down after every ride and spray lube the chain. I must admit to not checking my seatpin as often as I should though and will check them all tomorrow.
Old 01-25-20, 04:58 PM
rumrunn6

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-25-20, 06:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When my bike gets a lot of snow/ice buildup on a ride I stick it in the bathtub and give it a good cleaning. Just be careful not to get water inside the cable housings if you plan to take it outside in the cold later that day/night. The moisture can freeze and prevent shifting or braking.

Cheers
Old 01-25-20, 07:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I honestly think that it's a waste of time and overkill to wash a whole bike after every ride....All you really need to do is lube the chain and maybe rinse your disc brake calipers once in a while with some water to get the salt out of them and that's it.
Old 01-26-20, 08:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Up in Wisconsin-land, I washed my good winter bikes in the bathtub (making sure to dry them thoroughly). Outdoor washing was not an option - anyone who keeps a hose hooked up November-April is asking for a busted pipe!

The kitchen is fine as well, but then I have to mop. I hate mopping.

Baby wipes are also convenient, especially if it's just a bit of mud or road spray rather than three inches of frozen-on gunk. I use them for summer cleaning, too!
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 01-27-20, 11:45 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I usually setup my repair stand in the entry way and place 2 boot trays under the bike to catch melting snow and water I used for cleaning. I also use the boot trays when doing maintenance to catch greasedirt clumps falling off the drive train, get that on your socks and you'll have grease streaks on the floor / carpet.

For the most part if its warm enough that my bike needs a cleaning, it is warm enough to wash it outside. If its too early / late in the year to have the garden hose hooked up, I'll use one of those hand pump 2 gallon chemical sprayers for rinsing.
Old 01-27-20, 12:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I honestly think that it's a waste of time and overkill to wash a whole bike after every ride....All you really need to do is lube the chain and maybe rinse your disc brake calipers once in a while with some water to get the salt out of them and that's it.
I don't wash my bike after every ride, just when there's a lot of snow, ice or slush built up on it. Sometimes I get a 2+ liters container and fill it with really hot water and pour that over the areas of the bike that have a lot of crud on them before I bring the bike inside. I lock the bike outside and then come in to get the hot water. It's really useful for getting most of the stuff out of the recesses on knobby tires. It's surprising how much stuff can drip off of two knobby tires and a bottom bracket shell area of a bicycle. I'd rather have that fall off outside than inside.

For the times the bike needs a more thorough cleaning, I was it in the bathtub.

Cheers
Old 01-27-20, 12:32 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
A good alternative to cleaning in the bathtub is using a pump sprayer (like those typically used for gardening) filled with hot water from the bathtub. This lets you quickly melt away all the salty ice outside without having to clean it out of your bathtub or kitchen. I don't wash it like this after every single ride, but about every week or 50 to 100 winter miles. Sometimes I use soap and sometimes I just rinse depending on how dirty it looks.

I do wipe the chain down after every single ride in the winter. I apply new wet lube frequently.

I'm trying to keep my spoke nipples lubricated by giving them a drop of wet lube after cleaning. This is an ongoing experiment.
Old 01-27-20, 12:42 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
A flattened cardboard box underneath will save your floor.

After a particularly dirty spin, I will:
* knock off big chunks with water, then let it dry (you can skip this if you have to)
* wipe off whatever's left with a rag & WD40
* take off the cassette and wipe it all down w/a rag & WD40
* pay special attention to get gunk out of the headtube, brakes, BB and crankset areas
* clean & lube the chain

You shouldn't have much problem doing this in your kitchen on a bike stand, except maybe the water part, but you could skip that and just wipe down more with more rags & WD40. I use WD40 for general cleaning because it shifts any road grease, lightly oils everything, and displaces water... and it smells nice.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-29-20, 01:32 PM
parkbrav

ridelikeaturtle is making think, are there pressurized water-spray bottles that might be convenient to store in an apartment and convenient to use, and at the same time not damage a bicycle paint etc.?
Old 01-29-20, 01:38 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by EviLDORK

I'm trying to keep my spoke nipples lubricated by giving them a drop of wet lube after cleaning. This is an ongoing experiment.[
I've also considered this as the wheels on my Giant Defy creak badly (I'm on my second pair) but wouldn't the oil in the lube get onto the inner tubes? I think oil on the inner tubes is considered a bad thing but perhaps there is a gentler 'oil'.
Old 01-29-20, 03:04 PM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
ridelikeaturtle is making think, are there pressurized water-spray bottles that might be convenient to store in an apartment and convenient to use, and at the same time not damage a bicycle paint etc.?
I use a pressurized water spray bottle stored in my apartment. It has a 2 gallon capacity, but I rarely need more than half of that to clean my bike. It's much easier for me than using either a bucket, a garden hose, or the bathtub.

Originally Posted by Welshboy
I've also considered this as the wheels on my Giant Defy creak badly (I'm on my second pair) but wouldn't the oil in the lube get onto the inner tubes? I think oil on the inner tubes is considered a bad thing but perhaps there is a gentler 'oil'.
There are lubricants made for specifically for spokes, but I'm just using what I assume to be the next best thing. Most lubricants are too inert to attack your inner tubes much, but I haven't seen any evidence of anything seeping past my rim tape anyway.
Old 01-30-20, 01:33 PM
parkbrav

I understand, I will look in to the pressurized water spray. There's no garden hose at the apartment, and even if there was, chances are the water hose would be shut down for the winter (preventing the pipes from freezing).
Old 01-30-20, 10:11 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
This is how I was cleaning my bike indoors last year. I've since moved, but still a viable option if your options are limited.