Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New (to me) temp commuter bike!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-17-20, 07:08 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts

I'm far away from home in Omaha, Nebraska for a total of six weeks (a week and a half in) for job training. Instead of spending a couple hundred bucks to ship an existing bike back and forth I decided to buy a bike locally when I got here. Found a ready-built commuter bike for a fair price on Craigslist which was a minor miracle in these times of bike shortages at every LBS and even Target and Wal Mart.

Came with the rack, panniers and bags. I picked up a cheap Bell mini-pump, pre-glued patch kit, spare tube and a $17 kryptonite chain lock to keep it locked up outside the office.

I've been put up in an apartment about 3.5 miles from the office, so for me it's a ~17 minute ride to work so far. Since I picked up the Trek last Tuesday evening, I haven't taken a car to work once. Racked up 110 miles so far including a 40 mile trip on Saturday.

Anyway, that 3.5 mile commute has 150 feet of climbing on the way there, and 220 feet of climbing on the way back. Nothing too crazy but it's the first time in my life I've had the opportunity to really bike-commute and I love it so far!

Hard part is figuring out what to do with the bike after I'm done with it at the end of July.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-17-20, 07:32 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Nice bike. Looks like you got lucky! Have fun the next few weeks.
Old 06-20-20, 04:46 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I'm far away from home in Omaha, Nebraska for a total of six weeks (a week and a half in) for job training. Instead of spending a couple hundred bucks to ship an existing bike back and forth I decided to buy a bike locally when I got here. Found a ready-built commuter bike for a fair price on Craigslist which was a minor miracle in these times of bike shortages at every LBS and even Target and Wal Mart.

Came with the rack, panniers and bags. I picked up a cheap Bell mini-pump, pre-glued patch kit, spare tube and a $17 kryptonite chain lock to keep it locked up outside the office.

I've been put up in an apartment about 3.5 miles from the office, so for me it's a ~17 minute ride to work so far. Since I picked up the Trek last Tuesday evening, I haven't taken a car to work once. Racked up 110 miles so far including a 40 mile trip on Saturday.

Anyway, that 3.5 mile commute has 150 feet of climbing on the way there, and 220 feet of climbing on the way back. Nothing too crazy but it's the first time in my life I've had the opportunity to really bike-commute and I love it so far!

Hard part is figuring out what to do with the bike after I'm done with it at the end of July.
Sweet bike! Obviously you have two options; take it home with you, or pass it on. How much do you love it?
Old 06-20-20, 05:10 PM
General Geoff

With 160 miles on it so far, it's OK. The plain flat bars make my hands numb on long rides, and the saddle makes my nether regions numb after about 20 miles. It's keeping me active during my training which is what I needed from it, but it honestly doesn't do anything my other two bikes don't do better.

I'm asking my family and friends if anyone is interested in it.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 06-27-20, 06:58 PM
General Geoff

I'm back home for a fortnight, before returning to Omaha. Took a quick 4 mile ride on my Lynskey and I gotta say, the Trek really makes me appreciate this bike a lot more.

The daily riding I did in Omaha has markedly improved my climbing though. Gonna go on a longer ride tomorrow to see what I can do.
Likes For General Geoff: