Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Sram guide r pads SQUEAKING no matter what

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-11-20, 07:11 PM
sammaddo7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a new sram guide r front brake and rotor and i bedded the pads in and went for i ride i then washed the bike the day after and thought it would be good to wipe down the rotor with some rubbing alcohol and since then the pads have done nothing but squeak i have light them up with a blow torch but still nothing so i sanded them I have done absolutely everything the only thing that works is jamming them with mud and this keeps them from squeaking but then after a few hours back to squeaking until i jam more dirt into them any help that isnt buying new pads as they are basically brand new
Old 07-12-20, 12:59 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by sammaddo7
I recently bought a new sram guide r front brake and rotor and i bedded the pads in and went for i ride i then washed the bike the day after and thought it would be good to wipe down the rotor with some rubbing alcohol and since then the pads have done nothing but squeak i have light them up with a blow torch but still nothing so i sanded them I have done absolutely everything the only thing that works is jamming them with mud and this keeps them from squeaking but then after a few hours back to squeaking until i jam more dirt into them any help that isnt buying new pads as they are basically brand new
You have contaminated pads or rotor. Probably pads.

If nothing works, you'll have to replace pads.

BTW, where did you came with the idea of jamming the pads with mud? Don't do that.
Old 07-12-20, 06:14 AM
sammaddo7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
You have contaminated pads or rotor. Probably pads.

If nothing works, you'll have to replace pads.

BTW, where did you came with the idea of jamming the pads with mud? Don't do that.
i was reading up online i a few people where saying if nothing works try mud as for them that has fixed all of there contamination problems is there nothing else i can do accept replace the pads?
Old 07-12-20, 07:53 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

i was reading up online i a few people where saying if nothing works try mud as for them that has fixed all of there contamination problems is there nothing else i can do accept replace the pads?
I've had success cleaning the pads with soapy water, applying degreaser after that and doing some downhill high speed stops until it recovers normal braking power. Try to drag the brake as long as you can. The idea is to heat up the brake enough to burn everything thats on the pads.

If you try that keep in mind that until the degreaser is burnt off, it's going to squeal and braking power will be very low.

In any case, unless you're a cheapskate like me, it's probably not worth it. Pads from discobrakes, which is the brand I usually use, cost 7€ each pair.
Old 07-12-20, 04:37 PM
sammaddo7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I've had success cleaning the pads with soapy water, applying degreaser after that and doing some downhill high speed stops until it recovers normal braking power. Try to drag the brake as long as you can. The idea is to heat up the brake enough to burn everything thats on the pads.

If you try that keep in mind that until the degreaser is burnt off, it's going to squeal and braking power will be very low.

In any case, unless you're a cheapskate like me, it's probably not worth it. Pads from discobrakes, which is the brand I usually use, cost 7€ each pair.
i tried this and it worked great for about 2 hours and then it squeaked for a few brake cycles and then after that it was fine again and then started squeaking again for just a few cycles as this has made it alot better should i repeat the process
Old 07-13-20, 01:48 AM
Amt0571

i tried this and it worked great for about 2 hours and then it squeaked for a few brake cycles and then after that it was fine again and then started squeaking again for just a few cycles as this has made it alot better should i repeat the process
I wouldn't worry too much if the squeaking is occasional. My brakes squeal like a furious pig if they're wet. No need for rain... sometimes passing through a wet section of road or a small puddle is enough.