Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fandango Gigi Reviews

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Fandango Gigi Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 06:52 PM
dbuhler

Bikes: Surly LHT, Novara Arriba, Cannondale RT3000 Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fandango Gigi Reviews

I did a quick search of the forum and only saw a single post mentioning the Gigi. On searching the interwebs there is also very little. Anyone ridden one of the four models? Any feedback? I know MTBTandems gets plenty of positive mentions just curious about this specific frame.

Wife and I mostly ride on our own and have been doing some more tours. Not part of the go fast crowd and would like the ability to go beyond the pavement. Bike would primarily be used for MUP, Rail trails, and gravel with maybe the occasional lightweight single track thrown in.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-20, 12:56 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've no opinion on the Fandango product line (not owing one and all), but I would mention that quite a few road tandems can become gravel (and light single track) bikes by simply slapping on a 650b wheel set. see for example my 2012 cannondale RT2, which will fit up to a 50mm 650b in the rear. I can probably go up to 2.5" in the front with the fatty fork that came with that series. So my point being, you could probably get everything you needed in a used tandem like the cannondale (or others) without paying the new bike tax so to speak.
Old 07-19-20, 05:01 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
The Fandango and Fandango "GiGi" (don't ask me) are Mtb Tandem framesets made specifically for Alex Nutt by Ventana. Ventana also makes their name brand ECDM full suspension frame and a fatty El Jeffe.

You can find various discussions in these Facebook groups...

These 2 are directly owned by Alex Nutt:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tandemmountainbikes/
https://www.facebook.com/MTB-Tandems...3789186009978/

An additional "S.O.O.R.T.A. (Self Organized Off Road Tandem Adventure)" group exists which is also somewhat tied to Alex due to some"sponsorship" or "group insurance" intertwinements.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1534869173484183/

There is also a less busy but non-associated forum here:
https://forums.mtbr.com/tandem-mountain-bikes/
Old 07-23-20, 10:59 AM
dbuhler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CaptainHaddock Thanks for the reply. We currently ride a 2000 Cannondale R3000. I have been able to put some 47mm 700c tires on but it is very iffy on clearance, as long as it is dry out those tires work fine. Unfortunately, 650b is not an option due to running V-brakes front and rear.

Last edited by dbuhler; 07-23-20 at 11:10 AM. Reason: addressing the user
Old 07-23-20, 11:09 AM
dbuhler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
twocicle Thanks for the reply and the multiple links. Not a lot of info out there which I find curious and a little concerning. I will keep checking around and doing my research. Currently leaning towards a Co-motion Java.
Old 07-25-20, 07:15 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dbuhler
twocicle Thanks for the reply and the multiple links. Not a lot of info out there which I find curious and a little concerning. I will keep checking around and doing my research. Currently leaning towards a Co-motion Java.
I have owned a Fandango and set that up as a fairly hardcore mtb trail bike. Very solid frame while also a very lightweight frame (within grams of our Calfee Dragonfly w/stainless S&S couplers). If there is the possibility you would get swayed to riding real single track trails a lot, I'd go with the Fandango. Initially I thought we would just do gravel grinding, but immediately on ride #1 I pointed it onto single tracks we were passing by, and never looked back... too much fun.

If you seriously intent to stick to mostly gravel and light trail usage, then yes, look into the GiGi. It is a newer frame design for Alex, but there are a lot of his GA followers raving about it. I haven't ridding the GiGi so can't speak about from any first hand experience.

Another popular gravel tandem is a custom Ti frame from Granite (now Chinook). People also rave about this one, but cost is a lot more than Alex's frames. For the buck, Alex's are a great option.