Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo and Strava Moving Time Difference...why?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-19-20, 07:41 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

So I am using my Wahoo to track routes that are loaded from ride with GPS then have it sync with Strava (I never enable Strava on a ride). I’ve been noticing an average MPH difference that posts on Stava relative to what my Wahoo says. I did the calculations and it’s because the moving time is different on Strava and the Wahoo. I have the Wahoo set to auto pause when stopped and will occasionally pause it if I stop quickly for some reason. The total time of the rides are always with a second or two between Strava and Wahoo. Why is this moving time difference happening when I thought I was literally just recording the ride on the Wahoo and sending that data to Strava?
Old 07-20-20, 08:39 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Strava seems to recalculate things - so I think it drops some time that it considers you not to be moving but the Wahoo does.
Old 07-20-20, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
It's always the big unknown. Sometimes you can glean how a site comes up with certain data numbers by looking through their FAQ's or help topics.

Not every value you see on your device is logged in the file you transfer, so many values have to be derived from the data in the log file that was given to the site. Not necessarily what the device used to base that value on.
Old 07-25-20, 04:54 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
A similar thing happens with the data on my Garmin versus Strava. It seems that the biggest differences occur on routes where I stop frequently. Strava's algorithms don't seem to detect stops as quickly as the Garmin device does, so Strava will often show a longer moving time and hence a lower average speed than what the Garmin device shows. On rides where I only stop a few times the difference is much smaller.
Old 07-27-20, 07:00 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I've noticed some significant differences between my Bolt and other tracking services. It seems that my Bolt loses contact with the satellites during heavy tree cover and doesn't count the distance. When I've checked it vs Strava or Ride With GPS it always comes up short on certain routes. Other rides, like along the coast with little or no tree cover, there's no difference. I wonder if Garmin is any better? Well, once they're back on line, I guess.
Old 07-27-20, 07:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Strava's got'n algorithm for everything. Going back say 2 years, it used to be waaayyyy worse. Not unusual to have rides with 3-4 minutes difference in moving times between the recording device and the final activity on Strava-- and that's with a speed sensor.

Even now, if the stopped time is say less than 30 seconds, I can figure it's gonna get rolled in and I'll have that 1.00 move ratio. I've used Strava with Garmin 500/520, a few Bryton units, a Hammerhead Karoo, and now an Elemnt Bolt. Strava uses their own math on all of 'em. If you're having GPS errors, a speed sensor is the best place to start.
Old 07-27-20, 03:30 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I've noticed some significant differences between my Bolt and other tracking services. It seems that my Bolt loses contact with the satellites during heavy tree cover and doesn't count the distance. When I've checked it vs Strava or Ride With GPS it always comes up short on certain routes. Other rides, like along the coast with little or no tree cover, there's no difference. I wonder if Garmin is any better? Well, once they're back on line, I guess.
Try adding a Wahoo Speed sensor.
The Bolt will even auto calibrate it for you.

Barry
Old 07-27-20, 05:05 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Try adding a Wahoo Speed sensor.
The Bolt will even auto calibrate it for you.

Barry
I've had one for quite some time. While it seems to read the speed accurately, the distances are off. The speed sensor never loses contact with the Bolt, and has no bearing on distance, so it's nice to have a constant and accurate speed readout, but that's as far as it goes.