Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fuji Saratoga 1988

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 02:07 PM
ordnajela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Saratoga 1988

Good afternoon.

I have the opportunity of buying a Fuji Saratoga from 1988 for $180.00 USD.

I intend to use it on a daily urban commute of around eight miles.

Is this a good price or am I better off searching for another bicycle/waiting stores to be supplied with new ones?
Ideally, I would be interested on something new with a chromoly or aluminium frame although around here that would cost me at least $450.00 USD.

Search is made difficult since I'm from Mexico.

Thank you.

P.D.: Can't upload pictures as I'm new here.

Last edited by ordnajela; 07-24-20 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Wrote Saragota instead of Saratoga.
Old 07-25-20, 06:32 AM
Pedal303

Bikes: LOOK 595, Univega Viva Sport, Peugeot PSV, Trek 1400, Stranger BMX Custom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
How is the condition overall? How are wheels and tires? I think 150-180 sounds fair. Look like it has a triple butted ishiwata frame. Green or black?
Old 07-25-20, 07:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
It's all about condition. A 1988 Fuji bike is 32 years old now. So, if it doesn't have new tires, chain, grips, etc., etc., etc, THEN.............................. it's not worth $180. If it's all original I'd put the price closer to $50. BUT.................. If it's been completely refurbished with new tires, chain, brake pads, handlebar wrap, grease & bearings .............. THEN...... $180 is a reasonable price. Be good. Have fun.
Old 07-29-20, 08:01 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Obviously it depends on condition. It is, however, a touring bike. Touring bikes make great all purpose bikes. They are a bit heavy and a little slow, in comparison to competitive road racing bikes, but are good for carrying loads and covering long distances more comfortably. In the U.S., prices vary from place to place, and the pandemic-related bike shortage is causing a crazy increase in the price of used bikes ... if you can find one. Other than that, bikes like that can go for $50 in fair shape to $300+ in nice shape. In the past few years, prior to the pandemic bike shortage, the used bike market was pretty soft. You could find nice bikes for $20. About 10 times that now. Besides purchase price, you have to figure in the cost of new tires, etc. If needed. BTW, I have a later model Saratoga. I like the name. I am from "new yawk", and Saratoga is in New York (upstate). Mine is like new, has a Brooks Pro leather saddle in like new shape, and a few accessories. Right now, it would probably fetch about $400 to $450 locally right now in a hot market. Most of the interest here is in anything in the $200 +/- range. Not worth it for me to sell, which I don't want to do anyway. It sits in a place of honor in my "man cave" so I can look at it like it's a work of fine art work! I love the cobalt blue paint job! A photo of mine...

Last edited by cycleheimer; 07-29-20 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 11-05-20, 08:56 PM
ordnajela

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your considerate answer.

A couple of months down the road the seller got in touch with me because he had lowered the price. I went ahead and bought it.

It's been with me for about two weeks and it's great. It was in great condition (altough not as good as yours) —mostly original pieces in good shape. I hope I can ride it for a longer distance soon rather than just my commute.

Greetings.
Old 11-05-20, 09:05 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by ordnajela

A couple of months down the road the seller got in touch with me because he had lowered the price. I went ahead and bought it.

It's been with me for about two weeks and it's great. It was in great condition (altough not as good as yours) —mostly original pieces in good shape. I hope I can ride it for a longer distance soon rather than just my commute.

Greetings.
Congratulations on the Fuji. It's a fine bike. Please check out the tires and try to figure out how old they are. For safety reasons, tires that are over 20 years old usually need to be replaced. Old tires really need to be replaced if you encounter long downhill runs that exceed 30mph. Be good. Have fun.
Old 11-05-20, 09:07 PM
ordnajela

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

I will check them out. I appreciate the observation.
Old 11-17-20, 07:24 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ordnajela

Greetings.
Welcome to the forums!