Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Forging steel seat post clamp or collar clamp

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 08:58 PM
Petit Breton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

HELLO FROM ARGENTINA I WANTED TO ASK IF SOMEONE HAS EXPERIENCE IN MAKING THE OLD STEEL CLAMPS THAT THE BIKES WITH BRIANZA TYPE LUG WAS CARRYING. THE SAME LACK OF brand IN GENARAL SOME WERE STAMPED WITH THE BRANDS ""OLMO"" OR ""FREJUS"" OR ""MAGISTRONI"". I HAVE TO REBUILD THESE CLAMP AND I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO FORCE THEM FORGED OR COLD FORCED. EXCUSE THE EDITOR I AM USING TRANSLATOR. thank you
Old 08-01-20, 09:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Are you trying to make replacements? Seems to be that a simple band with a brazed on binder would do the trick. Might have to use a beautiful thing (lathe) to produce the bans to a fit spec first.

Unsure what you mean by force them and doubt that they were forged as I know that process. Andy
Old 08-02-20, 07:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Unsure what you mean by force them and doubt that they were forged as I know that process. Andy
Andy, I think the word "forced" he used should have translated to "stamped". Google Translate is remarkably good but not perfect.
Old 08-02-20, 11:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Blacksmiths Forge things.. on anvils with hammers and red hot steel..

Fabricating can combine a piece of steel tubing and brass brazing on a piece which a smaller tube*
will allow a bolt to squeeze a slot you then cut to tighten this clamp you have made

* these are pieces made to do this...
Old 08-02-20, 12:45 PM
Petit Breton

Hi, I meant stamping the markings on the seat collar. the translator is not always accurate with the words. I have some experience with metal forging in cutlery. It would not be a problem for me. but the query is if someone from this forum has made these pieces. the process of the lathe I discard it since I DO NOT HAVE a lathe and also here in Argentina the labor of a turner is usually somewhat expensive. They will also wonder why I do not buy the necklace on eBay or similar. It is also too expensive to buy foreign pages since the value between the Argentine peso and the American dollar is very disadvantageous for Argentines
Old 08-02-20, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Much of bike parts are made in Taiwan... perhaps you have importers buying from same sources direct from there?

Seek stamping numbers and letters tools? https://www.beaducation.com/pc/36-me...ber-stamp-sets
Old 08-02-20, 06:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
I would suggest posting in Frambuilders https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/

and now i have to have chimichurri sauce

Old 08-03-20, 11:36 AM
Petit Breton

Thank you for responding. My intention IS NOT TO MANUFACTURE seat collars in industrial quantities. it is only learning to make this piece that are NOT VERY COMMON to find in my country. in the art of restoring it would be to recreate this piece as faithfully as possible as it was originally. Thank you
Old 08-03-20, 11:58 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts

...if you are talking about these, they got used on almost everything those guys made, during a fairly long time period.
For something like that, your best bet is finding them used, off dead bicycles. I believe that is a stamp forged part (stamped into a mold).

Stamp forging is very difficult to replicate by a home shop worker, mostly because you need the block or the mold to do so.
I guess you could maybe pantograph something that you pounded out and machined to roughly the same profile, but it would be a whole lot of work.

There are some modern seat clamps, (made mostly from aluminum), that you could maybe carve to an approximation of one of those, if you can find one in the proper diameter.
Old 08-03-20, 12:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/vintage-40-5...MAAOSwMwddgAbp

...75 euro is a lot of money for this part, but considering the hours it would take to manufacture one, it's probably cheaper.
Old 08-03-20, 01:54 PM
Petit Breton

hello in Argentina bring a seat collar that is worth 75 dollars would cost much more and would cost around 134 dollars in Argentina since there is a dollar transaction tax of 30% on the value of the product and another import tax of 50% on the the value of the product that is equivalent to 134 dollars placed in Argentina and that value represents almost 25% of the salary of a low-class worker for us prohibitive, in addition to the work time left over in these times of world economic recession. With respect to stamping the brand, it is not necessary to use the stamping technique. Electro-etching technique can be used. thank you
Old 08-03-20, 02:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...Argentina (and SA in general) is not exactly new to bicycles. Are there no sources of used bicycles, like scrap yards and the like, similar to what we use for this purpose here ? I used to visit the waste transfer station here, and sift through a huge pile of bikes when I needed something old.
Old 08-03-20, 02:50 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Petit Breton
Hi, I meant stamping the markings on the seat collar.
"Stamping" is also a method of forming a piece of metal into a shape. Seat collars can be made by stamping a piece of sheet metal to the desired shape using a forming die in a press.
Old 08-05-20, 06:08 PM
Petit Breton

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...Argentina (and SA in general) is not exactly new to bicycles. Are there no sources of used bicycles, like scrap yards and the like, similar to what we use for this purpose here ? I used to visit the waste transfer station here, and sift through a huge pile of bikes when I needed something old.
Hello, there are no such junkyards here, but it is a good point that you say. It occurs to me that the old bike shops, those very small neighborhood or town maybe find something. thanks for answering