Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 09-05-20, 05:42 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Ok IM experts a question. This thread has peaked my interest over the years in picking up an IM, however I just completed refurbing a 89 Specialized Allez and they appear (no blasphemy intended) at a glance to be similar (duck)...? any IM folks own both and can tell me the differences in broad strokes.....?

Inquisitive in Seattle

(Side note as an apartment dweller my room for vintage bikes is unfortunately finite and I am at 5 currently )
For <40 miles, that Allez SE, which is more like a crit handler, will feel more agile, and if you pay attention you will be fine.
For >40 miles, the Ironman will be a bit more stable if you tire and a bit easier to maintain your place and relax your attention.
Once you get into the 80’s of mileage, the Ironman is a bit easier to be consistent on. At 100, you realize why you like it.

My opinion only.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-05-20, 06:22 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
For <40 miles, that Allez SE, which is more like a crit handler, will feel more agile, and if you pay attention you will be fine.
For >40 miles, the Ironman will be a bit more stable if you tire and a bit easier to maintain your place and relax your attention.
Once you get into the 80’s of mileage, the Ironman is a bit easier to be consistent on. At 100, you realize why you like it.

My opinion only.
Thanks for the input -that is what I was looking for
Old 09-06-20, 04:20 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Hey, folks. I've joined your club!

An old co-worker friend of mine dropped me a line this week, and mentioned that he still had the bike he has been wanting to give me for a while. So we got together, and I am now the proud owner of a 1987 Centurion Iron Man Dave Scott Expert. (Do I have all that in the correct order?)

She's a true garage queen. He bought it back in the day to ride and get in shape, etc., but the gearing was too tall for him. Said he had a cassette somewhere that he had always meant to put on, but he couldn't find it.

So I brought her home, wiped her down, lubed the chain, pumped up the tires ... and she rides beautifully. Tires held air, rims are true, everything works like it just rolled out of the LBS.

What's wrong? Oh, the bike computer doesn't display even with a new battery ... need to re-wrap the bars. New brake pads, tubes and tires wouldn't hurt, but other than that she's ready to go. (Don't worry, I'm not gonna go out for a 40-mile ride on the original tires and tubes! Just went for a slow spin around the block.)

I own him one fine barbecue some day.

In any case, here she is in all her glory.

105 components are beautiful.

Condition out of the garage. Never been crashed, I'd wager.

Matching seat bag!

Nitto stem and vintage Cat-Eye.

Quality seat tube.

Holy cow, that cover comes off!

BB Serial Number N6P6754. Database anywhere?

Wait ... there's a friction option?! Sweet!

Miami Vice with a black accent.

She cleans up real pur'dy!

Last edited by Chinghis; 09-06-20 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling!
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 09-06-20, 04:28 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Nice looking Miami Vice, such vibrant colors. Congratulations and welcome.
Gorgeous and stunningly beautiful really. Everytime I look at it new words come to mind.
Inspiring me to wax my MV.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-07-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-06-20, 04:29 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Ace bike. Just great.
Welcome to the Empire.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-07-20 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-06-20, 05:43 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
With one of the still functioning saddle covers!
Old 09-06-20, 05:46 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Chinghis

Before any real miles, lube and grease the bearings all around.
Old 09-06-20, 05:55 PM
aluminummonster

Bikes: 1984 Trek 610, 1985 Cannondale ST400, 1987 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 10 Posts
Have always wanted an Ironman, but never wanted to drop the dough on it. After I sold a Circuit that I just could get comfy on yesterday afternoon, the c&v gods smiled on me with a text only CL ad for an Ironman Expert for $100 bucks.

Needless to say, I came home with it. Looks like the previous owner swapped wheelsets, as this one has a Mavic dark anodized wheelset on Shimano 600 hubs and a 7 speed cassette or freewheel (anyone know for sure?) and 600 shifters. Everything else is 105.

Two hours later after some goo gone on the hoods, and some thorough cleaning and lubing, I'm a happy camper.
Likes For aluminummonster:
Old 09-06-20, 07:02 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Wow that's sharp. A 7-speed is probably a cassette, but since it's a swap, only you can know, and only by looking at it.

The GooGone sounds promising; I've read a lot of posts about sticky hoods, esp. white. rosefarts has such a post here from just a few days ago about an IM he's working on for his wife; might be worth a shot.
Old 09-06-20, 07:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by aluminummonster
Have always wanted an Ironman, but never wanted to drop the dough on it. After I sold a Circuit that I just could get comfy on yesterday afternoon, the c&v gods smiled on me with a text only CL ad for an Ironman Expert for $100 bucks.

Needless to say, I came home with it. Looks like the previous owner swapped wheelsets, as this one has a Mavic dark anodized wheelset on Shimano 600 hubs and a 7 speed cassette or freewheel (anyone know for sure?) and 600 shifters. Everything else is 105.

Two hours later after some goo gone on the hoods, and some thorough cleaning and lubing, I'm a happy camper.
Nice! Great deal too at $100!

Great mix of components too, all excellent.

One of the two red Ironman models is on my bucket list. Some day.

The wheel could be freewheel or freehub, no way of knowing without inspecting the rear hub closely. The bike won't care. Once adjusted you can switch between rear wheels with 7-speed freewheel or another with 7-speed cassette, no problems. I like SunRace freewheels for that -- they're agreeable to both Shimano and Suntour index shifting systems.

I have 7-speed freewheel and freehub cassette wheels -- or *had*, I should say. I had a run of bad luck with wheels and all three rear wheels on three sets went bad a month or so ago. Rims cracked on two with freewheels, and the hub needs overhauling on the third with cassette. Nothing wrong with the original stuff, just 30+ years old, ridden a lot on our rough roads and chipseal. I got plenty of good from 'em.
Old 09-06-20, 07:16 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

50 yesterday and 70 today.
Temps back in the 90’s .

Earlier in the day. 26 miles in, we found a covered bridge...
On the downhill side of 62 years old....flattering kit for sure!

24% climb, check out the old bridge stanchions for the grade.

I was already in the small ring, but wanted to keep my cadence consistent.
The idea was to incrementally gear up and smoothly get into the grind.

Didn’t work out; dropped chain, barely got unclipped to avoid a fall.

Had to get chain back on; knew better than to start up with crankset on the uphill side.

Got moving, BUT.....

...could not get L foot clipped in.
Kept the foot on the pedal, though, and luckily it didn’t slip, saved my shin.
(you do not want to know what words were being uttered at this time)

So, 16 miles later, went back and climbed it again, cut 53 seconds off the climb time.
Rode the Wraith. I can’t climb 24% on an Ironman.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-07-20 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-06-20, 07:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Chinghis

An old co-worker friend of mine dropped me a line this week, and mentioned that he still had the bike he has been wanting to give me for a while. So we got together, and I am now the proud owner of a 1987 Centurion Iron Man Dave Scott Expert. (Do I have all that in the correct order?)

She's a true garage queen. He bought it back in the day to ride and get in shape, etc., but the gearing was too tall for him. Said he had a cassette somewhere that he had always meant to put on, but he couldn't find it.

So I brought her home, wiped her down, lubed the chain, pumped up the tires ... and she rides beautifully. Tires held air, rims are true, everything works like it just rolled out of the LBS.

What's wrong? Oh, the bike computer doesn't display even with a new battery ... need to re-wrap the bars. New brake pads, tubes and tires wouldn't hurt, but other than that she's ready to go. (Don't worry, I'm not gonna go out for a 40-mile ride on the original tires and tubes! Just went for a slow spin around the block.)

In any case, here she is in all her glory.

105 components are beautiful.

Condition out of the garage. Never been crashed, I'd wager.

Matching seat bag!

Nitto stem and vintage Cat-Eye.

Quality seat tube.

Holy cow, that cover comes off!

BB Serial Number N6P6754. Database anywhere?

Wait ... there's a friction option?! Sweet!

Miami Vice with a black accent.

Wow, those look like the original tires too. Super skinny by today's standards, 700x18 or x19. And Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims! I rode a set of those for a year. Just as nice as the slightly lighter Araya CTL-370, those really lightweight low profile climber's rims. And the best looking low profile box section rims with that gray anodized finish, IMO.
Old 09-06-20, 07:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Temps back in the 90’s .
24% climb. I was already in the small ring, but wanted to keep my cadence consistent and incrementally grab cogs.
Didn’t work out; dropped some chain and was lucky not to fall, I unclipped just in time.
Could not clip L foot back in, climbed it with one clipped, one just pushing pedal.
So, 16 miles later went at it again, 34/32 and rode right up, cut 53 seconds off the time.

In a bridge, about mile 26.
That looks absolutely brutal.

I'm not sure I could climb that without switching mine to a 110 BCD crankset for the 34T small ring.

Gotta admit, I'd be tempted to try it with my 38, 39 or even 42 small ring, but I'd probably use platform pedals and regular shoes the first time, in case I needed to bail out.

The steepest climb I can find locally is nothing like that. Maybe low double digits, around 15% at worst. And only 400 yards at most before it flattens out a bit.
Old 09-07-20, 02:16 AM
texaspandj

Congratulations on your great find. That's an '87 expert its original 105 components would be identical to the Miami Vice on this same page.
Cool thing about this era in Shimano components were they were all pretty much compatible, so you could change one component at a time if need be.
Old 09-07-20, 07:03 AM
texaspandj

Temps back in the 90’s .
24% climb. I was already in the small ring, but wanted to keep my cadence consistent and incrementally grab cogs.
Didn’t work out; dropped some chain and was lucky not to fall, I unclipped just in time.
Could not clip L foot back in, climbed it with one clipped, one just pushing pedal.
So, 16 miles later went at it again, 34/32 and rode right up, cut 53 seconds off the time.

In a bridge, about mile 26.
My response to anything Robbie post is usually Dang RT.
Looks like fun.
Old 09-07-20, 08:12 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Chinghis Lovely Miami Vice. I had one in similar condition and it is now with a dad who rides with his son and daughter--all on IMs. Too bad about your CatEye. Tap it a little, spray it with tuner cleaner. It's gotta work!
Old 09-07-20, 08:41 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis

That looks like a really nice Ironman. You did good! Have fun with it.
Old 09-07-20, 09:03 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The world just keeps getting better.
Old 09-07-20, 09:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
The last 2 IM acquisitions listed are super clean!
Old 09-07-20, 09:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Temps back in the 90’s .

Earlier in the day. 26 miles in, we found a covered bridge...
On the downhill side of 62 years old....flattering kit for sure!

24% climb, check out the old bridge stanchions for the grade.

I was already in the small ring, but wanted to keep my cadence consistent.
The idea was to incrementally gear up and smoothly get into the grind.

Didn’t work out; dropped chain, barely got unclipped to avoid a fall.

Had to get chain back on; knew better than to start up with crankset on the uphill side.

Got moving, BUT.....

...could not get L foot clipped in.
Kept the foot on the pedal, though, and luckily it didn’t slip, saved my shin.
(you do not want to know what words were being uttered at this time)

So, 16 miles later, went back and climbed it again, cut 53 seconds off the climb time.
That kit you have on is en fuego! 🔥
The pics with the vehicles in the background really tell the story. I don't know if I could make it even with a triple. Maybe I could zigzagging like one of the riders.
The drops on the bike in the covered bridge sure are shallow.

Last edited by seypat; 09-07-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 09:53 PM
ilbarbaro

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80s tri to modern gravel?

Folks,

I still have my ‘89 purple haze master. What do you think of converting it to a “gravel” bike? Can the frame and fork take it? Can the 600 brakes fit a wider tire like a 28 .. or more?
Old 09-07-20, 10:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by ilbarbaro
I still have my ‘89 “Purple Haze” Master.
Can the 600 brakes fit a wider tire like a 28 .. or more?
Nope. Neither can the rear brake bridge.

What do you think of converting it to a “gravel” bike?
I, too, considered it. A long time ago. Not very workable.

Can the frame and fork take it?
Yes. It’s an Ironman.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-07-20 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 10:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
That kit you have on is en fuego! 🔥

The drops on the bike in the covered bridge sure are shallow.
Thanks.

Yep on the bars. When I was behind him, I was jealous.
Old 09-08-20, 01:42 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Nice looking Miami Vice, such vibrant colors. Congratulations and welcome.
Gorgeous and stunningly beautiful really. Everytime I look at it new words come to mind.
Inspiring me to wax my MV.
Thank you! I find myself just staring at it, honestly. I didn't realize I would find it so pretty.

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
With one of the still functioning saddle covers!
Those are rare, I take it? Can I hand-wash it, I assume?

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Chinghis

Before any real miles, lube and grease the bearings all around.
Thanks, good advice ... but I was antsy today and took it out on new tires for a 20-mile ride. Sorry, won't do it again But yeah, I will probably take her in for an overhaul and pedal-change. I like the bike too much to topple over in toe-clips at a light because I forgot they aren't clipless! Would also like a nice white leather saddle. The seat today was OK, but won't take much abuse, I don't think. Certainly not the cover, may as well keep it nice.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Wow, those look like the original tires too. Super skinny by today's standards, 700x18 or x19. And Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims! I rode a set of those for a year. Just as nice as the slightly lighter Araya CTL-370, those really lightweight low profile climber's rims. And the best looking low profile box section rims with that gray anodized finish, IMO.
"Super skinny" - you're telling me! I rode it before looking at them, and then realized that they're 20s. Even at just 80 pounds super-hard ride. I put on some 28s, and, yeah, that's as big as you can go, I think. Kind of had to squeeze them past the brakes.

I thought of doing conversions to make it more rideable, but I remembered today how fun a fast road bike is. So I don't want to change much (certainly too pretty to ride on gravel!), except maybe a lower gear range for hill-climbing. But I do like her as she is.

Originally Posted by Classtime
Chinghis Lovely Miami Vice. I had one in similar condition and it is now with a dad who rides with his son and daughter--all on IMs. Too bad about your CatEye. Tap it a little, spray it with tuner cleaner. It's gotta work!
Thanks, gonna give that a shot!

Originally Posted by 76SLT
That looks like a really nice Ironman. You did good! Have fun with it.
Thanks, I shall!
Old 09-08-20, 08:51 AM
ilbarbaro

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. Neither can the rear brake bridge.

I, too, considered it. A long time ago. Not very workable.

Yes. It’s an Ironman.

Thanks, Robbie!

I hate seeing it unused. Might have to put her up for sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.