Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your BMI and Well Being

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Your BMI and Well Being

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 04:53 PM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
IMHO, aspects of life such as spiritual, relationships, friendships, emotional ties, using your mind in a variety of ways to challenge your brain cells (so to speak) are just as important - or even more so - than the physical and diet regimen. And, I think there is a lot of research to prove this. So, I participate in singing groups, contribute a lot of time to helping others (in many different ways), try and have great family relationships, do a great variety of different types of physical exercises (not just one such as bicycling).

Well, we will never know, will we, until the grim reaper shows up at the door.

Whatever rings your bell and makes you happy and doesn't hurt others is the way to go.
A very balanced way to live your life; you seem like you would be a fun person to be around.
Old 07-12-14, 05:23 PM
1986raleigh

Bikes: '86 Raleigh marathon, '09 Fuji newest 4.0, 2001 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
if your interested in reducing your weight, it takes several things and those several things 99% cant or wont do.

Totally all in Commited

Lifestyle Change

Quite simply that if you cant follow these 2 requirements, you most likely will never make it to the other side. You need to hold yourself 100% accountable for what goes in the mouth and thats 80% of the battle. People say i hardly eat this , i hardly eat that. EVERY SINGLE thing that goes in that mouth has CALORIES and Calories if not burned go into Fat. How i look at it is that when i stick something in my mouth to feed my face it HAS A CONSEQUENCE no matter what it is. I can account for almost every single thing that goes in my mouth at the end of the day..! When you start holding yourself fully accountable for feeding your face, you will prevail..I KNOW..I been FAT FREE for almost 7 years wihtout putting on ONE SINGLE # Still maintaining 150lbs and proud of it..
So you are one of the one percent who do commit and proud of it good for you whatever floats your boat.

Sounds to me like for years you were overweight and hated yourself you finally turned it around, lost the weight you wanted and maintaining where you want to be enjoy your new lifestyle, just understand not everyone agrees with obsession you seem to exude.
Old 07-12-14, 05:39 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 1986raleigh
So you are one of the one percent who do commit and proud of it good for you whatever floats your boat.

Sounds to me like for years you were overweight and hated yourself you finally turned it around, lost the weight you wanted and maintaining where you want to be enjoy your new lifestyle, just understand not everyone agrees with obsession you seem to exude.
Yes actually i was a 265lb obese overweight lathargic fellow whom ate anything and everything. Drank lots of beer and custom cut 2 1/4inch thick cut porterhouse steaks from the local butcher shop. Loved fried chick and fried pork cutlets, loved baby back ribs and lots of french cut lamb chops. At 54.5 years old one day I decided enough was enough and without saying a word, i started my new gig. Yes matter a fact it does float my boat and what others do, i could careless. I am just sharing my story and i am sure there is others just like me. What ever it may be called is exactly what i am 110% content with. Those 44 trousers like mighty big on my now when i try them on just for kicks as the 31's are what i wear now for the last 5 or so years..
Old 07-12-14, 08:48 PM
howellhandmade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maintaining a healthy weight (or even an unhealthy one) is a matter of calories, leavened with proper attention to nutritional requirements. There's a saying that is often applied to personal economics: "You can have ANYTHING you want. You can't have EVERYTHING you want." For each individual, maintaining X weight requires a balance between Y intake and Z expenditure. Only in America does it count as an achievement NOT to eat as much as you can hold. There is room in a healthy, weight-maintaining diet for almost anything you could want, and there is CERTAINLY room for enjoyment of what you eat. You just can't eat as much as you might like of everything you want. You have to make choices. You CAN have a steak, you just can't have it any more than every so often. And you might have to eat a bit less of other things to compensate. This might be different for people with food addiction issues -- like how an alcoholic can't take that first drink -- but for most of us the best route is moderation.

Frankly, trekmogul, you should race. At least TT. The kind of asceticism and deprivation you seem to need is a racer's ethos, of paring every ounce from his frame that isn't used in powering the bicycle. And then the question isn't well-being, it's speed. Among racers, there is less concern for a rich, balanced life, and more admiration for being willing to do "whatever it takes."
Old 07-12-14, 09:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by howellhandmade
Frankly, trekmogul, you should race. At least TT. The kind of asceticism and deprivation you seem to need is a racer's ethos, of paring every ounce from his frame that isn't used in powering the bicycle. And then the question isn't well-being, it's speed. Among racers, there is less concern for a rich, balanced life, and more admiration for being willing to do "whatever it takes."
I think for these fellows, the catch phrase is "Pain IS Gain."
Old 07-12-14, 10:10 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Personally i really like carrot cake

"I like grapes."
Old 07-13-14, 05:20 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by howellhandmade
Maintaining a healthy weight (or even an unhealthy one) is a matter of calories, leavened with proper attention to nutritional requirements. There's a saying that is often applied to personal economics: "You can have ANYTHING you want. You can't have EVERYTHING you want." For each individual, maintaining X weight requires a balance between Y intake and Z expenditure. Only in America does it count as an achievement NOT to eat as much as you can hold. There is room in a healthy, weight-maintaining diet for almost anything you could want, and there is CERTAINLY room for enjoyment of what you eat. You just can't eat as much as you might like of everything you want. You have to make choices. You CAN have a steak, you just can't have it any more than every so often. And you might have to eat a bit less of other things to compensate. This might be different for people with food addiction issues -- like how an alcoholic can't take that first drink -- but for most of us the best route is moderation.

There is no reason what so ever i can not have a steak or a piece of fried chicken or a slab of baby back ribs at all, however i just flat out refuse to ever touch any meat again for no paticular reason but the challenge of not touching it. I have gone from one extreme to another and dont know moderation of anything.. Once in a great while i will sin and splurge a 1000 calorie meal, however those 1000 calories are not nasty deep fried calories etc. If I happen to do this, then i compensate and adjust the next days intake to balance it out. Is any of this really important..? Mabe not but it floats my little boat..
Old 07-13-14, 05:20 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by null66
"i like grapes."
i love sri lankan food..
Old 07-13-14, 08:49 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Personally i really like carrot cake
My favorite vegetable. The cream cheese frosting provides protein, another essential food group.
Old 07-14-14, 12:08 PM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
My favorite vegetable. The cream cheese frosting provides protein, another essential food group.
I use to love cream cheese on every thing myself along with lots of rasberry jelly..Yum...!
Old 07-14-14, 09:25 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not giving these up.

I am at 25.1, shooting for 24.4 by the end of the year.
Attached Images

Last edited by RideMyWheel; 07-14-14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 02:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
At 5'9" and 180 lbs my BMI is 27 and overweight. At 21% body fat I am considered "healthy." FWIW I weighed 185 lbs playing college football and 178 lbs at the end of Basic Training in 1969.
Old 07-15-14, 05:42 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was offended myself by the gross pictures he posted and found it rather insulting actually.
No offense was intended nor were the pictures meant to be a statement about you personally, so there is no reason for you to be insulted. I posted the pictures to illustrate that low body fat alone does not guarantee health or fitness, a point sadly missed in our culture of "no such thing as too thin" or "thin at all costs".

The answer to your original question

Does a low BMI in short terms mean you're more healthy than someone with a high BMI..?
is still, not necessarily, because BMI alone provides far too little information about the individuals in question, not to mention that BMI is a tool used because it is fast, easy and cheap, rather than being an accurate indicator of individual fitness.

Consider two individuals of the same height and weight: One is an avid cyclist who also cross trains with weights three days a week, eats a quality diet, and has a bodyfat percentage of 15. The other hasn't done any serious exercise in a decade, lives on cola and snack foods, smokes and has a bodyfat percentage of 21. The BMI table ranks these two individuals exactly equal because their height and weight are the same.

Now consider two other individuals of the same height but differing weights: The first lives on cigarettes and energy drinks, rarely sleeps more than an hour or two, and his exercise is limited to spending all night in clubs where he shows off his "six pack" abs despite that fact that he weighs only 135 pounds and has arms like broom handles. The second eats a diet rich in lean proteins, vegetables, and healthy fats though he overeats a bit, he commutes 20 miles a day by bicycle and has a physically demanding job, his recreation is being an active outdoorsman hiking and rock climbing, and he sleeps an average of 8+ hours a night. Though muscular, he struggles a bit to maintain a healthy weight at 175 pounds. Obviously with the lower body weight per given height the first individual has a significantly lower BMI but not too many would argue that the second individual had the healthier lifestyle.

Again, kudos on your healthy lifestyle and BMI, but a simple yes or no answer to your original question would be inaccurate and misleading to others reading your post. No offense was ever implied, you may infer as you wish.

To everyone else: I'm all for Healthy, Fit, and Lean in that order.

Last edited by GravelMN; 07-15-14 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-15-14, 06:48 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Again, kudos on your healthy lifestyle and BMI, but a simple yes or no answer to your original question would be inaccurate and misleading to others reading your post.
Whose being misleading here? The OP posted his own real-life experience and his own numbers. You, on the other hand, are posting fictional characters that you created to boost your argument.

BTW: The BMI scale includes both underweight and overweight as potentially unhealthy.
Old 07-15-14, 08:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
Whose being misleading here? The OP posted his own real-life experience and his own numbers. You, on the other hand, are posting fictional characters that you created to boost your argument.

BTW: The BMI scale includes both underweight and overweight as potentially unhealthy.
Yeah, he should have used my post.....5'9" (originally 5'10") and 180 lbs. Only 2 lbs heavier than '69 after Basic Training and 5 lbs less than my college football weight. BTW I was not a lineman....QB & CB and the fastest guy on the freshman team. These day at age 68 I ride 100 hilly miles a week, BP is 120/78 and resting heart rate is 50-55 bpm. Wear 34" jeans. According to BMI I am overweight. As almost everyone has said BMI is limited.
Old 07-16-14, 05:41 PM
trekmogul 

Thanks Big..It was and IS still a big deal that i have been able to continue this on without falling off of the wagon ever. Everytime there might be a time i crave some of that crap i use to eat, i just say to myself "remember how hard this was". I eat extremely well and matter a fact it is quite expensive the way i do eat actually..
Old 07-18-14, 11:50 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat in your diet or fat on your body? I already been down the FAT Body Syndrome for most of my adult life until i decided to do something about it 7 years ago. We went from 265lbs to 148 lbs 7 years ago and have not put on a single lb ever since. There was no issues, no quack tricks, no doctore, no stomach stapling or anything BUT an entire life style change. 44 Trousers 7 years ago are now 31 trousers. I had that 35BMI for many years until one day i woke up and thought i needed a change. I have never been so fit, so in shape mentally and physically then i have these last 7 years of my life. I am engrossed in this new life style 7 days a week 24 hours a day with no waivering ofcoarse ever..! There is not many that can do what i did and continue it onwards. I could go on and on about this obsession I live now.
For real?