Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Getting a New Touring Fork

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 03:54 PM
mbusha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an older Trek 520. A few years ago, the fork broke and, since I needed it replaced quickly, so I threw on a Surly Cross Check since my LBS had one in stock. I'm going to be doing some longer tours this summer, however, and am looking to swap the fork for something a little more appropriate. Basically, I want something that can: 1) mount a sturdy front rack and mudguard, 2) supports v-brakes, 3) works with a threadless headset, and 4) fits 700c wheels. So far, all I've come across is the Surly Long Haul Trucker, but I'm sure there are other options. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 03-05-11, 04:27 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_511246_-1___

Nashbar sells one, it might be OK.

I fairly recently crashed my 08 Trek 520 and replaced it with a new Long Haul Trucker frame, and the shop said they couldn't reuse the headset because apparently it was 1" on the 520, and needed to be 1 1/8" on the LHT. My quick googling led me to think that there might be some steerer differences on 520s by model year or frame size, you should check. Checking on Surly's site, the cross check fork is available in both, but the LHT fork isn't. Make sure your steerer isn't bigger than your headset.

I had poor luck getting a replacement frame from Trek, but there's no reason not to try. All I did was email Trek--a local almost-all-Trek shop recently told me that they can sometimes have better luck with these things. Worth a shot if you need a 1" threadless steerer fork.

Last edited by cpach; 03-05-11 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Accidentally recommended a fork without canti bosses
Old 03-05-11, 05:03 PM
mbusha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reminding me! Can't believe I forgot to check the size. I've got a 1" steer tube, so the LHT won't work for me. Looks like I may be contacting Trek to see if they still make one if I can't find anything else.
Old 03-05-11, 05:19 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
another problem is that the LHT fork probably has a longer dropout to crown race distance so it would change the handling.
Old 03-05-11, 05:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've got a 1" steer tube
So in reality you need a 1" steerer fork, then you need to measure how long the head tube is.
a threaded to threadless 1" conversion is easy, most stems come with a shim.

Surely the old fork can be a guide to someone to Build a New fork with all the desired features .
then all will be optimum ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-05-11 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 01:49 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...gged-fork.aspx