Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did I make the right choice? (Tarmac/Supersix)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-30-20, 12:13 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts

I’m still agonizing over a decision I made last summer.

Last July, after test rides on 5 or 6 different bikes and a few hundred hours researching them online, I bought a lightly used 2017 Tarmac Expert Disc Ultegra. The top contender was a 2019 Cannondale Supersix Evo (also Ultegra), with the old school level top tube and rim brakes. Subjectively, on 30-minute test rides, the Supersix seemed to have more of a balanced and assured handling, whereas the Tarmac was quick, almost a teensy bit nervous.

Most of my riding involves climbing, and I liked the lightweight Supersix. But at the time, it seemed like a good idea to opt for the newer style frame of the Tarmac, with its disc brakes and lower price.

The Tarmac has been good to me for these past 9 months. But still I have doubts. Did I make the right call? Or should I trade in my Tarmac for the Supersix?
Thanks for your time & opinions.

Below is a picture of my Tarmac, and a pic of the Supersix found online.

Old 03-30-20, 12:18 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Love the look of that Tarmac--beautiful.

What is lacking in the Tarmac? What is it not doing for you? Are you hoping/looking for a more aggressive geometry for some reason?
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-30-20, 12:31 AM
cyclic_eric

It's fairly heavy, at 18 lbs. My last bike was 16 lbs, and the Supersix has the benefit of those carbon hoops.
Another issue is that I just haven't gotten the fit sorted out. I've gone as far as I can on my own, next is to get a pro fitting done.
The Tarmac has quick-release hubs front and rear, and my local bike shop says only custom built carbon wheels will fit.
idk
So I guess the weight is one issue, fitting another, and then - please forgive me here - I need to convince myself that the Tarmac is cool.
Old 03-30-20, 07:25 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
What size is that frame? I have a 60cm Madone 9 and with pedals plus cages and a power meter it weighs in about that.
Old 03-30-20, 07:37 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
It's fairly heavy, at 18 lbs. My last bike was 16 lbs, and the Supersix has the benefit of those carbon hoops.
Another issue is that I just haven't gotten the fit sorted out. I've gone as far as I can on my own, next is to get a pro fitting done.
The Tarmac has quick-release hubs front and rear, and my local bike shop says only custom built carbon wheels will fit.
idk
So I guess the weight is one issue, fitting another, and then - please forgive me here - I need to convince myself that the Tarmac is cool.
A thing to consider, I know that most disc wheels are thru-axle nowadays, but it's also very common for hub manufacturers to design their hubs with interchangeable end caps, so that you can run them either with a thru-axle or with quick release skewers. For example, the wheelset on my MTB can be run at 15x100/12x142 or 9x100/10x135.

And FWIW, to answer your initial question, I would have gone with the Cannondale. I probably wouldn't hate owning the Tarmac, but the Cannondale is definitely a hotter bike.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 03-30-20, 07:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
SCS spacing?

It's a nice bike. Going forward, I'd much rather have discs and a small weight penalty. If I had to choose between those two bike, I would have went with the Tarmac, too.
Old 03-30-20, 07:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
SCS spacing?

It's a nice bike. Going forward, I'd much rather have discs and a small weight penalty. If I had to choose between those two bike, I would have went with the Tarmac, too.
I agree that I would rather have discs at this point, since that is the way the market is going. (Not saying discs are needed, but it sets you up better for future compatability.) That said, if it is SCS spacing, I believe you can purchase a new RD hanger that eliminates the SCS so you can use different wheels, though it is increasingly difficult to find QR disc wheels.

In the end, OP, you're comparing an Accord to a Camry. They are both quality bikes that are very similar in many ways, and you really didn't make a bad choice.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-30-20, 08:02 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
As an 1 and only bike in your stable..Tarmac Disc.

But I am more partial to the Dale with the R7000....since I have an inventory of Rim brake Wheelset.
Old 03-30-20, 08:40 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

The cannondale has a TA front and a QR rear. IMO that’s even worse than having QR front and rear because you’ll never find such a wheelset (unless you go with interchangeable end caps).

It’s not that tough to get a custom wheel built. People do it all the time. It was the only way to get a wheel until the 80s or so.

I personally think you are reeeeally splitting hairs trying to find a difference between these two bikes. The frames are both stiff, light, racy and use QR discs. The rest is parts.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 03-30-20, 11:06 AM
cyclic_eric

My tarmac is a 54cm.
From what I understand, it is a SCS (short chainstay) at 40.5cm long. The hubs are DT Swiss 350. 135 mm rear dropout spacing. It sounds like I may be limited to Roval or Next wheels, idk.
So if it can be accomplished, carbon rims, and perhaps a carbon stem/handlebar set, will save a bunch of weight, and upgrade to a livelier feeling ride.
I guess I'll try to read up on wheels. What a p.i.t.a.
I should go for a ride.

Old 03-30-20, 11:28 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
It wouldnt matter. You would be asking this the other way round of you bought the 6.
Tarmacs are great bikes. I have 4 of them.
I have a 16 with disk and sram axs 12 speed. Its heaver too 18 ish lbs.

but it is rock solid.
ebay. Carbon wheels from king bike. It's a woman but I cant recall her name. As far as getting wheels that will fit they can make anything you need. These are dt swiss hubs 60mm carbons with xdr freehub for axs12 speed for 500.00. Hard to beat

Last edited by ls01; 03-30-20 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-30-20, 11:42 AM
cyclic_eric

Thanks -
Great looking ride
Old 03-30-20, 09:11 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Supersix is Super nice
QR axles are better for rim brakes
Old 03-30-20, 10:55 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
People seem to have covered the wheel aspect pretty well. Two small things to add,

-If a bike isn't fit properly, you're never going to be able to fully enjoy it no matter how nice it is. I know a few people around here strongly advocate for doing the fit yourself, I'm of the opinion that unless you have a ton of experience setting bikes up, spending the time and money on a professional fit is a necessity.
-Once you get into "nice" bikes, things become as much (if not more) about how you feel about the bike and how the bike makes you feel, as the actual function of the bike. There are a ton of great options at any given price point and bike type (including both bikes in question), and if you're more excited about the Cannondale to the point it's going to get you out riding more...go for it. I think you probably already know the answer to the logical value/benefit question for the lighter rim brake bike vs the functionality of the disc bike as-is, having come from a ~16lb rim brake bike and having ridden the Tarmac for nine months.
Old 03-30-20, 11:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
There's no wrong choice with either of those fine bikes. However, I would have the bike that felt best to me, no doubt at all. That's what makes me happy when I ride. The group, the braking system (assuming excellent brakes), the "hotness", none of that matters a bit when you're riding. But the handling, comfort, overall feel.... that's what makes me happy, gets me on the bike and makes me ride more and faster.

IMHO, disk vs rim is not the most important factor by a long shot. Good rim brakes are.... good enough for pro riders, at least some of them, to this day. As far as future compatibility, I don't believe you'll ever want for quality rim brake wheels. At least until the time you'd want a new bike anyway.

For you the obvious choice is n+1 . Glad I could be of help. 8-)

Last edited by Camilo; 03-30-20 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-30-20, 11:20 PM
cyclic_eric

Originally Posted by bahula03
People seem to have covered the wheel aspect pretty well. Two small things to add,
-If a bike isn't fit properly, you're never going to be able to fully enjoy it no matter how nice it is. I know a few people around here strongly advocate for doing the fit yourself, I'm of the opinion that unless you have a ton of experience setting bikes up, spending the time and money on a professional fit is a necessity.
-Once you get into "nice" bikes, things become as much (if not more) about how you feel about the bike and how the bike makes you feel, as the actual function of the bike. There are a ton of great options at any given price point and bike type (including both bikes in question), and if you're more excited about the Cannondale to the point it's going to get you out riding more...go for it. I think you probably already know the answer to the logical value/benefit question for the lighter rim brake bike vs the functionality of the disc bike as-is, having come from a ~16lb rim brake bike and having ridden the Tarmac for nine months.
Well said bahula03. Once everyone is ok with getting within 6 ft of each other again I'll schedule a fitting. I hope that time comes soon.
I think I probably made the right call, logically speaking. The discs do feel safer, imo. But once stores open up again, I may go have another look at the Supersix, just to torture myself.
In fact, I'll probably go around to all my local bike shops, and just buy anything remotely useful.