Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Presenting: The New Diamond Llama

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Presenting: The New Diamond Llama

Old 06-04-20, 05:03 AM
usndoc2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long-term thoughts?

Originally Posted by planetoid117
I’ve got one on order and should be here soon. Can’t wait.
Any thoughts on the Diamond Llama after riding one for a while? I'm thinking about ordering either the DL or the NWT soon
Old 06-06-20, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Another option R&E Cycles 6 Pack , also 20" wheel Its packability comes from extensive use of many S&S BTC . https://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/6-p...pack-main.html
Very custom, so you want it built with a tall head tube there is an option...
Old 06-06-20, 01:54 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Another option R&E Cycles 6 Pack , also 20" wheel Its packability comes from extensive use of many S&S BTC . https://www.rodbikes.com/catalog/6-p...pack-main.html
Very custom, so you want it built with a tall head tube there is an option...
Dear LAWDY!!!
Full bike from $5,799
Old 06-06-20, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

We are talking Made in Seattle Washington ,

Not a low cost place to live & run a hand made bicycle building company & Stocked Retail store..
Old 06-06-20, 03:22 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
I wouldn't call this bike a folder, its dis-mountable, not folding: https://vimeo.com/138550076

For the price, S&S couplers aren't cheap and there are a lot on this bike.

They also aren't lightweight, curious to know the weight of this bike ?

Last point, its made of "Rodriguez Steel" what is that ? There are so many types of steel !
Likes For Jipe:
Old 06-07-20, 06:58 PM
planetoid117

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by usndoc2011
Any thoughts on the Diamond Llama after riding one for a while? I'm thinking about ordering either the DL or the NWT soon
Love it. It was a tough choice though because with the dl you need a chain tensioner if you go with a hub like the alfine or Rohloff. But I already have 2 other folding bikes(downtube and a brompton) and the dL just looks cool and can take wider tires. Also it can take much more of a beating since it’s meant for heavy riders. I put big bens on mine.
Old 06-08-20, 09:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Last point, its made of "Rodriguez Steel" what is that ?
that means they pick the steel tubing they use based on their long experience & current availability,
and you should not worry, un necessarily , about it, online

if you are already ordering it and are ready to put that big build deposit down , you can discuss what & why..

At that time..

Old 04-23-22, 06:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is a 2 year old thread but I'm thinking of buying one. It's up there in price at $2k plus but it is a very versatile bike and has decent gearing with the 2 x 9 option (90 inch high, 21 inch low). The H bar looks comfortable as well. I'm not a fan of straight bars for longer rides.
Old 08-02-22, 06:20 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 132 Posts
Hi bikemig
Did you ever pull the trigger on a diamond llama? I too, am bike friday (diamond llama) curious.
thanks
Old 09-04-22, 03:15 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The All Packa looks even better.
https://bikefriday.com/product/bike-friday-all-packa
Old 09-04-22, 04:35 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Looks interesting... But I wonder how the Made-in-USA crowd rationalizes putting nasty "cheap", "Asiatic" parts in their $2,500 toy. 🤣

Note the declasse Litepro (square taper!) crank.
😂😂😂

For $2,450 I'd expect no less than a nice Hollow tech 105 or Ultegra crank.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 09-04-22 at 04:42 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 09-04-22, 06:03 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
You can always buy the frame only and spec it as you require I guess.
Old 09-04-22, 06:27 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by jfouellette
You can always buy the frame only and spec it as you require I guess.
Right. But then I would go ahead and spec it with a Litepro crank and ring which sells retail, BB and bolts included, for around $40 here. I mean, if Bike Friday, the epitome of manufacturing quality serving a refined and highly discriminating clientele, specs Litepro on its products, Litepro must be quite good, right? 😉 Right? 🙄

Goes to show once again that what's good for the goose is often deemed beneath the gander.
Old 09-04-22, 07:16 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
"Will disassemble to fit into a standard airline check-able Samsonite suitcase. 31 x 21 x 12”
Not to me. 62" is the legal limit. That's false advertising.
Old 09-04-22, 09:18 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Right. But then I would go ahead and spec it with a Litepro crank and ring which sells retail, BB and bolts included, for around $40 here. I mean, if Bike Friday, the epitome of manufacturing quality serving a refined and highly discriminating clientele, specs Litepro on its products, Litepro must be quite good, right? 😉 Right? 🙄
No, Ron. Bike Friday is a small company that started to fill a small niche. Bikes that you could pack into a suitcase and travel to a destination and then tour with. You can't really compare what they do to any large manufacturer. What they do is closer to custom bike building. I don't know of anyone saying they are the epitome of anything, certainly not manufacturing. In order to build these here to user specification and size, or in small batches, it's going to cost. And what is up with "discriminating clientele". Are these "straw men"?

I am delighted and in awe of the fact that I was able to buy a Zizzo Liberte and have it shipped to my house for $320. I just don't understand how you can get that a new bike at a price like that. It was a return or a blemished bike, but I never found anything wrong with it. Is it nice as Diamond Lama, no, but it is way more than I can ask for at that price.

I am at the upper limit of fitting my folders. Zizzo, Brompton H, and Xootr Swift. All designed for Western rider's body sizes. If I was taller, I probably would look at the Lama. The bikes you post are not available to try. I would need to try them to see if I could fit.
Old 09-04-22, 09:42 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Just FYI, Bike Friday will acquire any component you request for your custom build. You can purchase one of their pre-specced models but you can also literally customize every single bit. i did that when i built up my pakiT. They didn't list or carry many of the components i wanted but they got them and installed them. i could have done it myself after buying a more base model but they gave me credit for their parts against my chosen parts and it worked out a little better especially given i didn't have to swap them out. So you can do anything from Paul Components to litepro or anything in between. With a custom bike it's all up to you. You also can buy the frame as mentioned and do whatever you want if that floats your boat and you've got the tools to assemble it.
Old 09-04-22, 09:48 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by wesgreen
"Will disassemble to fit into a standard airline check-able Samsonite suitcase. 31 x 21 x 12”
Not to me. 62" is the legal limit. That's false advertising.
If you go on the BF Facebook group you can talk to owners who have flown all over the world, many times, with their BF in suitcase and never had any problem. But be careful, lol, they'll want you to watch all their BF tour videos
Old 09-04-22, 10:45 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I see we're back to the trolling from this "Ron Damon" person. The mods should ban this dude before he ruins the Folding Bike forum again.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 09-05-22, 01:16 AM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by linberl
Just FYI, Bike Friday will acquire any component you request for your custom build. You can purchase one of their pre-specced models but you can also literally customize every single bit. i did that when i built up my pakiT. They didn't list or carry many of the components i wanted but they got them and installed them. i could have done it myself after buying a more base model but they gave me credit for their parts against my chosen parts and it worked out a little better especially given i didn't have to swap them out. So you can do anything from Paul Components to litepro or anything in between. With a custom bike it's all up to you. You also can buy the frame as mentioned and do whatever you want if that floats your boat and you've got the tools to assemble it.
Right. No one is questioning that. The real head scratcher is why BF owners will routinely turn up their noses at Asiatic bikes and parts when BF itself besmirches and defiles its enviable Made-in-USA products with these bottom feeder parts made in deplorable sweat shops. Something doesn't add up. 😉

The bike, advertised by BF, sells for $2,500 and comes with a Litepro crankset. That's some strong Kool-Aid! But when Paul specs his bikes with the very same type of components, folks pinch and turn up their noses. 😎

Last edited by Ron Damon; 09-05-22 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 07:03 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
I disagree with Ron, I think, but he should not be banned. Why are people so quick to cancel. I did not think Abu should be banned either. I do think that they are one in the same. Just let it play out. Ron does add to the forum.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-05-22, 08:37 AM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you go on the BF Facebook group you can talk to owners who have flown all over the world, many times, with their BF in suitcase and never had any problem. But be careful, lol, they'll want you to watch all their BF tour videos
That sounds very tempting, actually! (I haven't made it onto Facebook yet; maybe someday.) I hope BF riders continue to get a break from the airlines. Not everyone would want to take that risk, though. From all I've read and seen, BF make great bikes, so they shouldn't have to lie to potential customers about their product.
Old 09-05-22, 09:23 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I disagree with Ron, I think, but he should not be banned. Why are people so quick to cancel. I did not think Abu should be banned either. I do think that they are one in the same. Just let it play out. Ron does add to the forum.
It is not necessarily the issue of retaining the potential offender and personal taking of those potential offences. Others may be disturbed by the form the discussion is taking and refrain from participating in the thread, subforum or taking themselves off the forum as a whole. There are tons of discussion sites in which I would not want the tip of my nail dipped.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-05-22, 09:46 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by wesgreen
That sounds very tempting, actually! (I haven't made it onto Facebook yet; maybe someday.) I hope BF riders continue to get a break from the airlines. Not everyone would want to take that risk, though. From all I've read and seen, BF make great bikes, so they shouldn't have to lie to potential customers about their product.
I don't think they are lying as they give you the actual dimensions; if they wanted to lie they wouldn't do that, lol. It is just their experience through their many owners is that the airlines simply do not make any issues of the extra couple inches. They are basically telling you the truth, that the inches don't match but it doesn't keep people from flying with the bikes in suitcases at no extra charge. I've been on that Facebook group for 10 years and not once has anyone said they had an issue. It's like Brompton and Southwest. Technically the Brommie should not be allowed in the over head compartment but the Brompton mafia guys have never ever had a problem doing that when they fly. i'm going to be more concerned with the reality than the unenforced technical issues, ymmv.
Old 09-05-22, 12:46 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
It is not necessarily the issue of retaining the potential offender and personal taking of those potential offences. Others may be disturbed by the form the discussion is taking and refrain from participating in the thread, subforum or taking themselves off the forum as a whole. There are tons of discussion sites in which I would not want the tip of my nail dipped.
Abu/Ron can have all the bike opinions he wants, I don't care, but he doesn't leave it at that. We get this weird racial stuff about "Asiatic" vs. American or British frames and I consider that crap outside the bounds of a bike forum. He's clearly going to continue this, he's been doing it for a very long time. The mods won't deal with it so I'll be on my way again, this joint ain't worth the trouble.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 09-05-22, 01:06 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
The mods won't deal with it so I'll be on my way again, this joint ain't worth the trouble.
The mods do react, remove posts and admonish offenders in messages, giving them a chance to execute restrain on their own. The escalation usually occurs when those subtle means fail to reach effect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.