Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Amenia to Copake Falls, NY

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 07-03-17, 06:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

And back.

One of my all time favorite rides. The Harlem Valley Bike trail, 8 miles from Amenia to Millerton on the trail, 9 miles on road to the next section on Under Mt. Rd., then back on the trail for 4 miles to Copake Falls and an add'l mile or so on the extension north from Copake Falls. Then back, so 45 RT.

The trail is great. The road section north from Millerton is exceptional. Views of the Catskill Mountains across the Hudson. The paragliders launching themselves off Mt.Brace on the Taconic ridge to the east. Hordes of folks on the path on an almost holiday.

I was literally stunned by the numbers of folks riding the path out of Millerton as well as Copake Falls. The term "build it and they will come" applies in spades here. I was first on this route maybe 5 years ago on a weekday in July, saw a few cyclists but nothing like today. Next time I'm going swimming at Rudd Pond State Park, just north of Millerton.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/15775876

Here's some photos, Boston Corners Rd., looking south and north (plus my buddy Dave), the trail south of Millerton, plenty of shade. The free bike tool rack in Copake Falls, the old train mileage marker a mile north of Copake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1794.jpg (96.7 KB, 77 views)
IMG_1799.jpg (97.6 KB, 72 views)
IMG_1793.jpg (98.5 KB, 75 views)
IMG_1792.jpg (98.3 KB, 70 views)
IMG_1795.jpg (95.2 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-03-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 09:39 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Nice! And thanks for posting the route! You can get tired, you know, of Round Swamp.......
Old 07-04-17, 07:46 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Nice! And thanks for posting the route! You can get tired, you know, of Round Swamp.......
As note that from L.I. it's a 2 hr. drive, one-way. Maybe a weekend get-a-way route. There's camping and cabins at Taconic State Park in Copake Falls as well as swimming area, plus a swimming pond and tent camping at Rudd Pond state park in Millerton.

We start in Amenia, which is 2.5 miles north of the actual trail southern terminus in Wassaic, only as the Wassaic to Amenia route I find boring as it's right along Rt22.

Lot's of additional on road options north of Copake, including heading east up the mountain.
Old 07-04-17, 07:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I've done a loop from S. Egremont, up Mt Washington road (a killer) and then down Bashbish Falls to Copake, down the trail to the end, on the route you took to Millerton, then up 41 back to S. Egremont. I don't recommend going the other way as the ride UP Bashbish is too steep. I know the NYCC does a ride that way but I don't know how they do that uphill. Even going downhill is treacherous, you are holding on to those brakes tight. I've also done the trail from Millerton to Wassaic, and then down 22 to Pawling. The part on 22 wasn't so great.
Old 07-05-17, 09:34 AM
SBinNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If you are looking for an organized ride that covers this ground and others, try the Harlem River Rail Ride.

Here's a link
Old 07-06-17, 01:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
I rode the section of the trail from Millerton to Amenia during my Brattleboro to Philly ride last September. Very pretty.
Attached Images
HVT.jpg (99.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-10-17, 02:57 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I've done a loop from S. Egremont, up Mt Washington road (a killer) and then down Bashbish Falls to Copake, down the trail to the end, on the route you took to Millerton, then up 41 back to S. Egremont. I don't recommend going the other way as the ride UP Bashbish is too steep. I know the NYCC does a ride that way but I don't know how they do that uphill. Even going downhill is treacherous, you are holding on to those brakes tight. I've also done the trail from Millerton to Wassaic, and then down 22 to Pawling. The part on 22 wasn't so great.
I go over Mt. Everest/Washington from the NY side all the time, have been since I moved to Pawling. I wouldn't recommend going your direction because the descent w/ those switchbacks would take the fun out of going downhill. I ride through that area all the time, some part of it almost daily in the summer. Almost all of my rides involve heading up/down that section of 22 from Pawling to the rail trail- if you know what you're doing it's just fine - there are also alternatives to Rt 22 just east of it, it'll be hillier.
Old 07-16-17, 07:12 PM
ChipSeals

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Steve B. That is a great ride. Just about anything north of Wassaic is beautiful up there. I discovered it as a gateway to the Western Massachusetts / Great Barrington area, and it's become a weekend destination for me now.

South of Wassaic is also beautiful, but tangibly different, especially on Route 22 toward Pawling. A few too many howling pickups at 45-55mph if you get caught at the wrong time of day.
Old 07-16-17, 07:41 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
I stayed in a rented house with my family in Ancram maybe 5 years ago. All there was to ride was a rusted old beater in the basement - it must have weighed 40 pounds. But I pumped up the tires, put some WD-40 on the chain (that's all there was around) and explored the area - Copake, Millerton. I enjoyed the nice roads and the scenery, but I didn't know there was a trail there. Is the trail new?
Old 07-16-17, 08:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Though I've never ridden the trail, the Central Valley has always been one of my favorite cycling areas. A fine mesh of quiet roads, with nicely rolling terrain, and hills if /when you want to climb them.

Often, I'll ride north out of either lower Westchester, or use the train to Brewster, then continue northward until I'm ready to loop back to take a train home. Folks from NYC can take the Harlem division out in the morning, do a nice loop and swing west to the Hudson River and take a train home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-16-17, 08:20 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I stayed in a rented house with my family in Ancram maybe 5 years ago. All there was to ride was a rusted old beater in the basement - it must have weighed 40 pounds. But I pumped up the tires, put some WD-40 on the chain (that's all there was around) and explored the area - Copake, Millerton. I enjoyed the nice roads and the scenery, but I didn't know there was a trail there. Is the trail new?
New as in past 10 years or so (20 apparently). They keep opening sections as they get money to build.

The lower part is in Duchess, the northern in Columbia counties. The trail is on the northen right-of-way of the Metro North Harlem train line, that currently ends in Wassaic, which is where the southern 9.5 miles of trail begins. The rail line went to Chatham NY where it connected to an east-west railroad line. The rail trail is planned to go the 40 something miles from Wassaic to Chatham.

Harlem Valley Rail Trail ? Wassaic to Chatham or Bust
Old 07-20-17, 04:12 PM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WE ride every time we stay at Copake, great trail
Old 07-20-17, 05:06 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
If you are looking for an organized ride that covers this ground and others, try the Harlem River Rail Ride.

Here's a link
The area is beautiful and has great riding. The HVRR is one of the highlights of the summer. It is a well run ride with great rest stops and food before and after. I would recommend it to anyone within any driving distance. One of the best out there.
Old 07-21-17, 07:11 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
The area is beautiful and has great riding. The HVRR is one of the highlights of the summer. It is a well run ride with great rest stops and food before and after. I would recommend it to anyone within any driving distance. One of the best out there.
$80 to ride the roads I'm usually on anyway is an instant pass for me. Tour of the Litchfield Hills is half the price.
Old 07-21-17, 07:16 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Having ridden both, I enjoy doing the HVRR much more. For me the route and food is better, but both are great.