Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tacx Trainer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tacx Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 08:42 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Tacx Trainer

Hello,

I've been considering getting an indoor trainer lately. Not just because of the California "shelter-in-place" order but also to use during the cold/wet winter months. Having said that I've been looking at the Tacx Flow Smart Trainer.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular trainer? If so, do you know if it works well with Zwift and what extra pieces of equipment (cables, dongles, etc) are needed for Zwift? Or does it work right out of the box with Bluetooth?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-20, 09:17 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Hello,

I've been considering getting an indoor trainer lately. Not just because of the California "shelter-in-place" order but also to use during the cold/wet winter months. Having said that I've been looking at the Tacx Flow Smart Trainer.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular trainer? If so, do you know if it works well with Zwift and what extra pieces of equipment (cables, dongles, etc) are needed for Zwift? Or does it work right out of the box with Bluetooth?

Thanks.
That is pretty low end for smart trainers.. only 800W capability and only goes to 6% incline feel. a Kickr Snap would be better if you have to keep the budget down.

personally i think going direct drive is worth the extra money for accuracy, reliability and ease of use. Clever Training has a few on sale in the 6-700 range that should still be fine.
Old 03-30-20, 10:57 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I have a tacx vortex, which is one step up from the flow, but looks like they have more similarities than differences. It works fine with zwift. I already had an ant+ dongle from an old garmin watch so I'm using that to connect my stuff to my pc. My pc does have bluetooth and so does the vortex but I actually never tried connecting that way as ant+ worked right away. I'm also sending my heart rate through ant+ to zwift/my pc.
Old 03-31-20, 07:12 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I also have a Vortex and it is alright. Chain Reactions was dumping them last year for around $230 so I figured why not give it a try. The 800 watts limit could be an issue if you are strong, vortex goes to 950 and my all out sprint is a bit over 700. Not really a problem for me and even if I could break 800 I can only do it for a few seconds anyway. The bigger annoyance is the max incline if you want a more realistic feel. When it says 6% max what that means is no matter how steep Zwift says the climb is you never feel any difference once you hit 6% and you spend a decent amount of time doing climbs greater than 6%. If you can get the Flow cheap enough it is a good way to try out a smart trainer without spending a ton of money on a good one.
Old 03-31-20, 07:41 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Hello,

Thanks.
FYI, if you are not an experienced cyclist, you will like the Flow. 800w & 6% is more than enough for casual riders. Buy whatever fits your needs, not what other people here tell you that you should buy.

If you're looking for a little upgrade, check the Vortex (950w & 7%). CCC had it for 200-250$ I believe last fall, it was a hell of a deal.

It comes bluetooth ready & ANT+ I believe. You will be able to connect it to Zwift if you have a laptop with bluetooth or an Ipad, for instance. If your bike has Thru Axle, you will need an adaptor. If you have quick release, you will be able to plug it to the trainer. It comes with a Tacx QR.

Last edited by eduskator; 03-31-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-02-20, 08:16 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Tacx, in general, makes good gear. I'm using a direct drive model and it works perfectly. That said, consider a wheel-off trainer if this is something you'll be using regularly. The wear and tear on the rear tire and wheel may cause you to replace it, like it did for me, and some road tires simply can't handle trainer use. If you do go wheel-on I'd suggest setting up a dedicated rear wheel for trainer use with an appropriate tire.
Old 04-02-20, 12:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Hello,

Thanks.
This is a very good question. To the OP: You are looking long term, beyond the current crisis. The trainer you are asking about is entry level for "smart" training. It is very good as an entry level product, but if you are a serious cyclist as far as training goals go, you may quickly outgrow it, especially if you start to enjoy indoor training and its benefits.Wheel on trainers are hard on tires(unless you use trainer specific tires), and wheels, and they are tricky to calibrate. Direct drive trainers only stress your chain in a very clean environment(no road grit). Long term, for a serious cyclist interested in home training, direct drive trainers are a better choice
Old 04-06-20, 12:58 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
New review on the flow trainer:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/04/...th-review.html