Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss R460 Wheelset for Gravel Tires?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-27-20, 01:52 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Any issues with the wheelset below being used with gravel tires? Inner rim width is 18mm...is that too small for a 40mm (or larger) tire if I want to go that route? I am using the lighter wheels that came with my revolt advanced 0 for road tires and want a cheaper set I can use for light to moderate gravel/offroad use. Any thoughts would be helpful. Specs all seem to line up for my bike to just throw a cassette and disc on and ride...

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...formance/r-460
Old 06-27-20, 02:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I would go for a wider rim. It would work though
Old 06-28-20, 01:54 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I have these on my bike.

I have run 38mm Gravelking SK and Maxxis Rambler on them tubeless. No worries at all. I have beat the heck out of them and they're near perfect. Measuring 39 and 37.5 on my rims. Never a burp. If I had disc brakes, I'd try something wider but really it isn't a big deal.

I have Bitex hubs, Sapim Race spokes, and 3x 32 spoke lacing. I use rim brakes but they do make a disc version of the same thing.

My local shop sells them for $45. I've gotten 4. One to fix the rim on a bike I sold, one for a road wheel for my gravel bike, and 2 for the wheelset described. I think they're a bargain for what they offer.
Old 06-28-20, 08:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I think you can get by, but wider would be a lot better to give you more tire volume cushion and to shoulder-up the sidewall when cornering. If it were me, I'd hold out for 22 - 25 mm internal width.
Old 06-29-20, 08:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
It'll work, but why not just go with the DT Swiss R470 (internal width of 20mm), or R500 (internal width of 22mm)?
The wider rims will be better suited for gravel/cx tires.
Old 06-29-20, 09:06 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
The others saying you might look into something else are right.

I'm happily running 38s on mine though, without any of the issues people are suggesting.

If you're building up the wheels yourself, there would be pretty minimal price difference <$100 and inconsequential weight gain to find something wider from DT or a different company.