Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is now a bad time to buy a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is now a bad time to buy a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 07:04 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You're entitled to your opinion, but please don't ever share it with my wife.
LOL I was going to say “You sound like my girlfriend!”
Old 07-08-20, 07:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Oh yeah. You might as well lay around and get fat & watch your bank account. Don't take a big risk and spend about $50 more for something your never gonna use. Forget about going outside & getting a big lung full of fresh air. Rolling through the countryside and smelling the flowers. Oh no. Save a couple bucks and stay inside until prices come down. GET A LIFE MAN.
Old 07-08-20, 09:31 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Prices have been way up but you can easily find a bike that doesn't work at a good price. Fixing it will give you something to do, teach you a lot, make cycling more fun and give you a nice and very useful vehicle.
Look for the right size, a quality bike underneath the dirt or grime or even rust. I've flipped bikes that had a broken rear derailleur and the seller thought of it as catastrophic damage and made them right in an hour. Personally I'd look mid 80's with all the pieces/parts. Motobecanes can be had cheaply or you may stumble upon a cro-moly Schwinn or an older Japanese cro-moly bike. If it fits and it has a lugged frame your halfway home. Add cro-moly and your there again, if it fits and is in your price neighborhood. Now, anything that works can go for $200. The flip side is even nice stuff that doesn't run gets overlooked. I've grabbed up some nice racing bikes when I get the chance, much to my wife's annoyance.🙄 There's almost nothing a hundred bucks and some elbow grease can't make right. If you don't know what a good bike looks like I'm willing to bet many of us will only be to glad to give you our two cents.😀 Try us.