Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any info on Pulstar hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 10:11 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

I've been searching for a set of period correct wheels for my mtb conversion. These caught my eye and the price seems right. Are any of you familiar with them? It seems that they might need an overhaul if not some replacement parts. Bearings won't be an issue but I'm not sure of the thread pitch for the lock nuts.

​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/174343025221

Thanks.
Old 07-08-20, 11:52 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Some very useful information here.
Old 07-09-20, 04:06 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Some very useful information here.
​​​​​​Thanks.
For some reason that link won't open. If it's the Bikepro page about the hubs, I've seen it. I'm looking for more user experience for how/if these fail and where/if parts can be had easily. Clearly the freehub leaves something to be desired but that article makes it seem like they have specific axles too and I'd rather not purchase these unseen if they'll just be a money pit.
Old 07-09-20, 10:26 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
I've been searching for a set of period correct wheels for my mtb conversion. These caught my eye and the price seems right. Are any of you familiar with them? It seems that they might need an overhaul if not some replacement parts. Bearings won't be an issue but I'm not sure of the thread pitch for the lock nuts.

​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/174343025221

Thanks.
Buddy of mine, tall guy, hard rider, used them for years on his hardtail MTB and mechanically (bearings, freewheel) there was no issue. Need proprietary spokes of course, which may or may not be an issue for you. The theory about the straight spokes being less prone to breaking was not true in his case and it was the reason he eventually got rid of them.
Old 07-09-20, 10:41 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I've been riding one for 20+ years on my front wheel. A beautiful and period-correct purple. I've never broken a spoke or even had it trued or maintained, come to think of it, and I rode it on a 1500-mile bike tour with front panniers in 1993. I guess I love my Pulstar hub, yeah.