Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Bikes for those with Serious Lower Back Injury

Old 03-16-12, 03:45 PM
herkynhimre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes for those with Serious Lower Back Injury

Hi,

Currently, I own a mid-line Gary-fisher mountain bike. Loved it but I was seriously injured in a car accident 3 years ago and my needs have changed.

I've tried to alter the gary fisher but it's not enough.

I'm thinking I need to switch the type of bike I have to something for casual city and well maintained path rides of about an hour. I'm not sure of what styles of bikes to look at though allI know is that I can't be hunched forward with a rounded back.

Does anyone have recommendations of where I should start my research? Brands, models, styles, etc? I was thinking of maybe an urban beach cruiser style where I have the option to sit at a 90 degree angle but I'm not sure how easy those are to ride.

I should also mention that I'm 6 foot tall female and have had trouble finding frames that fit my size in the past.

I'm looking for a good quality bike, maybe not top of the line, but something to be proud of. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-12, 08:37 PM
Casbah

Bikes: Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a recumbent bike since you'd be sitting back rather than leaning forward? Take a look at some pics in the recumbent section and see if they might interest you.
Old 03-17-12, 11:41 AM
Manster

Bikes: Rans Dynamik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Although I don't have back problems, I really enjoy the upright riding position for my 17mi/day commute on a Rans Dynamik.
Old 03-17-12, 12:05 PM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have back problems and love my Salsa Fargo. I'm at the perfect angle for riding and the steel is soft. Sitting up straight straight would just send shivers of pain on a cruiser or a comfort bike. Recumbent bikes are nice as well. I test rode a couple but the roads where I live are too much of a wreck for using one.
Old 03-17-12, 12:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Talk to your physician and perhaps find a physiotherapist that specializes in such matters... when one says they have back issues that is pretty vague and what works for one person will not work for another.