Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-12-19, 03:08 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
Thanks Dalai! I see a bunch of guys with that setup at T-Town. It does work, but not what I'm looking for.
Fair enough. My local indoor has an elevator on the outfield side but only steps on the infield side of the tunnel and agree steps are a pain. But it is only one set in and out so preferred this to the multiple trips to the carpark; which could a long walk if other events were on as it is part of a multiple sport complex. Plus avoided the sore arms carrying the rollers and other gear. Will look into Carletons suggested bag though, sounds interesting!
Old 03-12-19, 04:57 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'll add my wife has the smaller Ogio Endurance 7.0.

Both bags have external helmet strap systems, which are nice. But the 9.0 is large enough I can fit shoes, clothes, track sack, towel and helmet inside the main compartment. The helmet strap would let me bring two helmets - regular and aero. It also has two external pockets for bottles (7.0 has one).

There are also plenty of pockets on the side and an expandable area for storing a wet suit - would probably work for a track sack as well.
Old 03-12-19, 05:11 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Lots of good options here, thanks guys!
Old 03-14-19, 09:56 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
Anyone have any links to any cheap and decent track gear bags. I like the look of the bls ones but they seem overly expensive.
Just after something for cogs, chainrings and tools, I already have a bag I've used for years but it's getting a bit old.
Laptop bag - one made for the older larger laptops. Mine cost me $15 and I have too much room, thus allowing me to carry much more than I'll probably ever need I purchased based on recommendation from a friend and best move ever. Cheap as hell and had room for my 60t that no gear bags at the time catered for. I use cardboard pockets to separate the chainrings so they don't scratch up on each other. Can carry it in the hand or they come with a shoulder strap for more carry options.
Old 03-14-19, 10:47 PM
brawlo

Another +1 for the Ogio bags. My bag is pretty much the equivalent of Dalai's system, but the handle and wheels are contained in the bag. Motocross gear bags are well suited to what we need. They can be large enough to take everything we need, they're often compartmentalised to separate various bits, and a lot of them come with handles and wheels to aid transport. If I spent more time at tracks where I had to carry my gear though, I'd invest in one of those little trolleys that have been posted about before and just carry everything including the bike in one go.
Old 03-15-19, 06:15 AM
nlaughton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
Lots of good options here, thanks guys!
One more for you - last year I started using my High Sierra ski boot backpack as a temporary track bag. Its just a big square-ish backpack, no fancy compartments, just a couple of pockets. It is just the right size for my tools/shoes/helmet/gear and I have been using it ever since.

Amazon has hundreds of boot backpacks from about $40 - might be worth a look.
Old 03-15-19, 10:57 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
This has always been an interesting topic for me. I've created a thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyc...your-gear.html

(I feel like there used to be an old thread on this, but I can't find it.)
Old 04-12-19, 09:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Small thing that every trackie will find handy...

I bought some chairs from IKEA and in each one they included a 5mm ball-head allen wrench...the kind that are perfect for removing chainring bolts.

So, if you are ever in IKEA, there is an area, usually near the Merchandise Returns area, where small parts bins are located with all of the weird IKEA tools, screws, nuts, bolts, etc... free of charge (I think). These allen wrenches should be over there.

It's always nice to have one or two extra in case someone borrows yours in the infield and doesn't return it. Or one for the track sack and one for the toolbox.

EDIT:

For those who aren't familiar, the ball-head end is especially nice. It allows one to vary the angle slightly and still maintain contact. This makes for easy spinning of the chainring bolts on and off with the fingers.
Old 04-13-19, 02:47 AM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Sorry if I missed this if already posted, but are Stone chainrings crap quality, or good? I'm looking for a good, affordable, round, stiff big ring or two (58 and 60t). Thank you for insights as always.
Old 04-14-19, 04:56 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
How could I get a Fuji Norcom seatpost? Had written to all email addresses available at internet related with Fuji, Fuji dist., Oval, etc., without success.
It's related with track because I use the wonderful Fuji Track Elite frame, but its seatpost is too far back and the one-screw system doesn't hold the seat level, when you get the extra "g" on track banks.
The Norcom have same system/profile but it's much more advanced and will not suffer from the high moment that is moving my seat..

This with the battery is the Norcom TT bike seatpost:
this the original:
Old 04-14-19, 06:10 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly?
Fuji won't answer your emails (they never have mine) you will have to find a brick and mortar dealer and go through them if you want a seatpost or any other parts.
The toppers are Ritchey WCS Alloy 1-bolt . It's the same on the track elite and the Norcom.
Old 04-14-19, 07:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Morelock
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly?
Fuji won't answer your emails (they never have mine) you will have to find a brick and mortar dealer and go through them if you want a seatpost or any other parts.
The toppers are Ritchey WCS Alloy 1-bolt . It's the same on the track elite and the Norcom.
I think he's asking if we know of any other way to get this seatpost outside of what he's done so far.

If I recall, he lives in South America (Brazil?), so finding a brick and mortar Fuji dealing shop might not be easy.

RA Cycles in NYC is a major bike shop. They can get just about anything. If you can work something out with them, maybe they can get you the post and ship it to you. I bought my first TK1 from them and they got me an upgraded seatpost soon after. They also tried to get me a seatpost for my LOOK 496 but were not able...but they tried.

https://www.racycles.com
Old 04-14-19, 07:22 PM
brawlo

Originally Posted by Super D
Sorry if I missed this if already posted, but are Stone chainrings crap quality, or good? I'm looking for a good, affordable, round, stiff big ring or two (58 and 60t). Thank you for insights as always.
I'd be guessing, but I would assume that most, if not all chainrings are now CNC machined. They should all be good for roundness which was one of the biggest failings in the past. So nowadays, the quality will be in the alloys/materials used for production and how well they wear. You won't really find a good answer for that without some longer term users, but if you're a metallurgical kind of person, the alloy details are listed

Having said that, Gebhardt rings are cheaper (for me and where I live) and have a proven record. GR8 rings are around the same price as the Stone and I already have those in 58t & 60t. There's probably a whole lot of other manufacturers around now seeing as all you really need is a CNC machine and a design file and off you go with some alloy from any supplier
Old 04-14-19, 08:08 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think he's asking if we know of any other way to get this seatpost outside of what he's done so far.

If I recall, he lives in South America (Brazil?), so finding a brick and mortar Fuji dealing shop might not be easy.

RA Cycles in NYC is a major bike shop. They can get just about anything. If you can work something out with them, maybe they can get you the post and ship it to you. I bought my first TK1 from them and they got me an upgraded seatpost soon after. They also tried to get me a seatpost for my LOOK 496 but were not able...but they tried.

https://www.racycles.com
ahh gotcha, that makes sense.

Another option (failing contacting somewhere like RA) would be using a middle man from someone/where with access to a brick/mortar.

It's pretty annoying to have a brand like Fuji that sells a lot of bikes online not be willing to talk to the consumer directly about small parts. I tried to buy some of the Norcom stems (matches the Track Elite's lines nicely) a year or so ago but also got the cold shoulder. Eventually just bought some used through forums.
Old 04-15-19, 12:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

What happened to Shane Perkins at Worlds? He was rostered for TS, but it seems that he didn't ride even once.

How is his moving to RUS working out in general?
Old 04-15-19, 04:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
What happened to Shane Perkins at Worlds? He was rostered for TS, but it seems that he didn't ride even once.

How is his moving to RUS working out in general?
I asked this a couple of weeks ago. Seems unclear, but maybe he just missed qualification? Or was an alternate? In any case, he's here now doing pro keirin and actually earning some Y.
Old 04-16-19, 01:23 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I asked this a couple of weeks ago. Seems unclear, but maybe he just missed qualification? Or was an alternate? In any case, he's here now doing pro keirin and actually earning some Y.
I found it really strange at the time, because he was hyping it up and mentioning looking forward to his involvement. Then the week of the competition he went radio silent.
Old 04-16-19, 02:32 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
I found it really strange at the time, because he was hyping it up and mentioning looking forward to his involvement. Then the week of the competition he went radio silent.
Agree. I was also pretty surprised. Weird backroom maneuvering at the Russian team? Seems a real shame as he obviously went through a lot to change nationalities only to be left home.
Old 05-20-19, 05:11 PM
Super D

I've been using basic, similarly-priced, EAI Deluxe and DA cogs. I notice no difference in performance or durability so far, but what do I know.

Is it worth it to spend more on cogs, or are these just fine for regular working stiffs?
Old 05-20-19, 09:42 PM
brawlo

Originally Posted by Super D
I've been using basic, similarly-priced, EAI Deluxe and DA cogs. I notice no difference in performance or durability so far, but what do I know.

Is it worth it to spend more on cogs, or are these just fine for regular working stiffs?
No. For the regular Joe, the claimed (I've never personally come across any substantiation to the various claims) benefits are miniscule and your money will be better spent on things that mean more. I've seen many records set on gear that is thought to be sub standard by the collective mind. Get faster, get stronger (on the bike).

However, if you've got the coin and it excites you and it makes you want to ride, go for it. The whole damn bike industry is built around the sale of parts that the vast majority of riders don't really need
Old 05-20-19, 11:20 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by brawlo
No. For the regular Joe, the claimed (I've never personally come across any substantiation to the various claims) benefits are miniscule and your money will be better spent on things that mean more. I've seen many records set on gear that is thought to be sub standard by the collective mind. Get faster, get stronger (on the bike).

However, if you've got the coin and it excites you and it makes you want to ride, go for it. The whole damn bike industry is built around the sale of parts that the vast majority of riders don't really need
Makes sense. I'm just about to order a couple larger cogs and a larger chainring, so figured I'd ask. I don't really have extra coin to throw away, saving up for another track frame.
Old 05-21-19, 06:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've bought several DA cogs from NJS-Export. They are used, but they are generally in great shape and decently priced. I've also found that prices on the eBay site (listed at the bottom of the page) tend to be a bit cheaper. Shipping from Japan typically takes less than a week to get all the way to the East Coast.
Old 05-26-19, 09:19 AM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
What kind of lockring would I need to be able to use a 12t cog?
Old 05-26-19, 01:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by AmahlAmahlAmahl
What kind of lockring would I need to be able to use a 12t cog?
https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...ro-mo-lockring

Shimano’s doesn’t accommodate 12t because their range begins at 13t.

A 12t lockring will work with any cog.
Old 05-26-19, 03:19 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Clinchers for outdoor velodrome?

Started riding at the local velodrome a couple weeks ago, and I just traded a commute bike for a track bike that needs new tires. I'll be running exclusively on an outdoor, cement track. No boards, and (if it needs to be said) no road.

I'll be using clinchers for now. Can I run any old fairly low-resistance, reasonably supple road tires for the moment (e.g., Conti GP 4000s)?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.