Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

clip on moutain bike rear fender

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 03:33 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Hey commuters, I'm putting an old mountain bike in service and after riding today was reminded why I have fenders on my other bikes! I have a rack already on it and want to add a clip on, quick remove fender like SKS X-tra dry. I can't tell if something like this will work with a rack - anyone know?
Old 02-16-14, 04:04 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Unless your rack is the kind that mounts to your seatpost, I don't see how the fender in question would help at all. Either way, no, that little fender isn't going to provide much more coverage than the rack you already have installed.
Old 02-16-14, 08:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Unless your rack is the kind that mounts to your seatpost, I don't see how the fender in question would help at all. Either way, no, that little fender isn't going to provide much more coverage than the rack you already have installed.
It would depend on the rack. There are lots and lots of racks that are completely open. There are other reasons to use clip-on vs stayed fenders. A more open fender with more clearance between the tire and fender is especially useful with wider tires and in snow or mud conditions. I use a clip-on and other pieces of fenders to give more complete coverage. The coverage I get in the picture below is better than many stayed fenders with far more clearance.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-17-14, 07:07 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It would depend on the rack. There are lots and lots of racks that are completely open. There are other reasons to use clip-on vs stayed fenders. A more open fender with more clearance between the tire and fender is especially useful with wider tires and in snow or mud conditions. I use a clip-on and other pieces of fenders to give more complete coverage. The coverage I get in the picture below is better than many stayed fenders with far more clearance.
Exactly what I wanted to see - thanks! Yes, my rack is open - what rear fender is that?
Old 02-17-14, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by arsprod
Exactly what I wanted to see - thanks! Yes, my rack is open - what rear fender is that?
It's an Planet bike clip-on. You get both the front and rear fender but the front fender is rubbish. The lower part in the picture is the front fender cut to fit and mounted on bolt on water bottle bosses to cover the bottom bracket and front derailer. I mounted it over the brake bridge to give me the greatest clearance. The only problem with that is that the end of the fender can be floppy. I fixed that by putting a zip tie around the light mount to hold it up.

SKS makes a similar fender called the Beaver Tail which might be stiffer. The front fender is a SKS Shockboard which is much better then the Planet Bike fender
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-17-14, 09:53 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Hey commuters, I'm putting an old mountain bike in service and after riding today was reminded why I have fenders on my other bikes! I have a rack already on it and want to add a clip on, quick remove fender like SKS X-tra dry. I can't tell if something like this will work with a rack - anyone know?
I have a fender just like that on an MTB. It's a good product, but I don't think It will fit on a bike with a rear rack. I have lots of bikes with rear racks.
I have a few bikes with fenders too. The ones that have fenders that fit under a rack are all typical stayed fenders. On one of my snow bikes I had a cut off piece of a fender just bolted onto the back of a rack with a solid plate in it. You can make a flat fender and just strap it to your
existing rack, and extend it out the back more, or forward more if there is room. I saw a temporary fender make of flat corrugated cardboard with a plastic bag over the cardboard to keep it dry, Just attached to the underside of the rack. You could make one out of plastic and keep it on.

I consider plastic fenders as a starting point, then I just cut them or attach them the way I want.
Old 02-17-14, 10:20 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by 2manybikes

I consider plastic fenders as a starting point, then I just cut them or attach them the way I want.
Yup, just ordered some SKS adventures from amazon for $15, about the same as cyccommute's planet bike set. At worst I'll zip tie them under the rack
Old 02-17-14, 10:24 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yup, just ordered some SKS adventures from amazon for $15, about the same as cyccommute's planet bike set. At worst I'll zip tie them under the rack
A good plan. Also you can just cut the zip ties if you want to take it off or change something.
Old 02-17-14, 01:50 PM
cyccommute 

To give yourself the maximum clearance, drill a couple of holes in the fender

so that you can put the ziptie through

Now use an old ziptie that you have cut off...I keep the cut off for just this purpose...and slide it onto the end of the ziptie

Pull up the head and clip it.

You can see how it works at the bottom of this picture

This picture also shows how I use a water bottom mount to hold the lower fender section.

Old 02-17-14, 02:45 PM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
To give yourself the maximum clearance, drill a couple of holes in the fender
Hah, you just saved me about an hour's worth of experimentation - thanks!