Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this Lynskey Sportive from Adrenaline Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 05:41 AM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering purchasing this bike. But before I do I wanted to get your feedback on the components, brakes, rims and anything else you care to comment on.

https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...oductid=173231

Frame \t2015 Sportive Disc
Finish \tSatin is standard, upgrades available
Sizes \tXS, S, M, ML, L, XL
Fork \tLynskey Carbon Endurance Disc Fork (or Carbon Pro Cross Upgrade Available)
Wheelset \tFSA Team 30 Disc 11 speed
Brakeset \tSram Force Hydraulic
Shifters \tSram Force22
Front Derailleur \tSram Force22 Braze on with 34.9 Sram Red Clamp
Rear Derailleur \tSram Force22 Medium Cage
Crankset \tSram Force22 (34x50T)
Cassette \tSram Force22 11x32
Saddle \tLynskey Sport Saddle
Seatpost \tLynskey Ti 27.2 x 300 x 25mm
Handlebar \tFSA Gossamer Compact Road
Stem \tFSA SLK Black (White Logos)
Headset \tFSA No.42 Sealed Integrated Bearing Set (Upgradeable to Cane Creek 110 Cartridge Bearings)
Headtube Design \tTapered/Integrated
Bottom Bracket Type \t68mm Standard English
Seatpost Diameter \t27.2mm
Seat Tube Diameter (Front Derailleur Clamp Size) \t34.9
Wheel Size \t700c
Max Tire Width \t28c
Dropouts \tInterchangeable Hanger for QR or Thru
Rear Spacing \t135mm
Brake Type \tDisc

My plans are to use this bike for multi day rides, centuries, group rides and daily weekend rides. I think with the ability for fenders and racks it should make a nice multi purpose bike.

By the way - If it matters for rims/frame ect. I am a clyde at 260 and dropping. Speaking with Lynskey they said the frame should not be an issue for my weight. But what about the rims in this package? Should I try to upgrade to a higher spoke count?
Old 10-29-15, 06:55 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I almost went for that exact bike, but ended up with the R240, as it fits my riding style better. I absolutely love the Force22 grouppo (came from Ultegra 6600 on my last bike). Though it's a bit louder shifting than the Shimano, the shifts feel much more connected. I do have the rim brakes, instead of disc, but I hear they're pretty good. The reason I went with rim brakes is because I've never had an issue with them, and switching to disc would be just to have the latest tech.

I don't think you'll have many (if any) complaints about the bike and grouppo. The wheels, on the other hand, should still be good. I ended up building up my own set and couldn't be happier with them. With Adrenaline Bikes, you may be able to work out a deal where they swap the wheelset. If you're planning on a lot of mileage, I'd go with at least a 32 spoke count on front, and 36 on the rear... if not a 36/36, just for the robustness and lower maintenance.
Old 10-29-15, 02:19 PM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silversx80
I almost went for that exact bike, but ended up with the R240, as it fits my riding style better. I absolutely love the Force22 grouppo (came from Ultegra 6600 on my last bike). Though it's a bit louder shifting than the Shimano, the shifts feel much more connected. I do have the rim brakes, instead of disc, but I hear they're pretty good. The reason I went with rim brakes is because I've never had an issue with them, and switching to disc would be just to have the latest tech.

I don't think you'll have many (if any) complaints about the bike and grouppo. The wheels, on the other hand, should still be good. I ended up building up my own set and couldn't be happier with them. With Adrenaline Bikes, you may be able to work out a deal where they swap the wheelset. If you're planning on a lot of mileage, I'd go with at least a 32 spoke count on front, and 36 on the rear... if not a 36/36, just for the robustness and lower maintenance.
I really don't need the disc brakes here in Michigan. But I can't seem to find any 15's left with rim brakes in the Force22 group. I would actually prefer rim brakes to disc. I can comfortably do road/trail side adjustments to rim brakes. But I know absolutely nothing about discs.

I'll have to look into swapping out rims. Is there a comparable quality/cost rim that I could inquire about? The price of the bike is already stretching my budget more than I wanted. But it does seem to be nicely outfitted from what little knowledge of equipment I have.

Last edited by Cheese Head; 10-29-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 02:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Good luck converting a disk brake bike to rim brakes. The hub spacing is different and it probably doesn't have a mount for the actual rim brakes on the frame. If you buy a bike with disk brakes, just learn how to maintain them, it can't be that hard.
Old 10-29-15, 02:47 PM
Cheese Head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Good luck converting a disk brake bike to rim brakes. The hub spacing is different and it probably doesn't have a mount for the actual rim brakes on the frame. If you buy a bike with disk brakes, just learn how to maintain them, it can't be that hard.
Thanks, not sure if my post was confusing but I wasn't planning on changing over the disc to rim brakes. I was just hoping to find a deal on a 2015 Lynskey Sportive with Sram Force rim brakes. But if I do go the route of disc brakes I definitely will have to learn about maintaining them.
Old 10-29-15, 02:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese Head
Thanks, not sure if my post was confusing but I wasn't planning on changing over the disc to rim brakes. I was just hoping to find a deal on a 2015 Lynskey Sportive with Sram Force rim brakes. But if I do go the route of disc brakes I definitely will have to learn about maintaining them.
Oh, sorry - you're "swapping out rims" threw me.
Old 10-29-15, 02:53 PM
Cheese Head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Oh, sorry - you're "swapping out rims" threw me.

Ya I figured that's where it came from! Any thoughts on a comparably priced set or 32 or 36 spoke disc rims I could ask Adrenaline bikes to swap out?
Old 10-29-15, 08:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
You don't need discs in Michigan? Perhaps not for stopping power or reduced braking fatigue, but I can tell you they sure are nice for keeping your bike clean when riding in the rain, and you still get the advantage of less rim wear and a lighter rim.

My advice would be to get a tubeless ready setup.