Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 06:06 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
Not sure on the year, but yeah the decals hint at 70's. But yeah I think the only "neat" things are the handlebars and the triple crank... and the fenders and racks ofcourse. Oh and it does have wire routing accommodations for lighting as well.
Old 01-03-18, 03:00 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I decided to test out a few things for my eventual Miyata 1000 build (frame in for small repairs) on my maybe-my-coworker-is-interested-in-it Cannondale ST. Now that I have caught this touring bike bug (go figure...), to whatever degree, I was looking at the ST again, which I had slated for selling. I had bought it to be a winter rider, but side pull brakes and 32mm tires made fender choosing very difficult, and I bailed before wasting any more time. It looked better without fenders, too.

Well, all the parts for the Miyata (3x9 DT Dura-Ace more or less), minus stem and bars (stem on the way), are on the Cannondale, and it is wonderful!! The 7800 rear derailleur, with the B-tension wound out pretty good, works just fine with a 32T cog. Win! I will post pictures when I get the stem in (and the bars mounted).

I just have to figure out what to build the Miyata up with. Such a dilemma!
Old 01-03-18, 05:40 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 406 Posts
Given the ice and cold, I'm not riding the wildness so I decided to tackle a task that's been put off for years. My 79 Moto Mirage was almost a Super Mirage as, over the years, I'd changed out the steel bits for alloy bits, except for the bars. They've been sitting on the floor for too long. Yesterday I finished swapping them out then realized that the steel bars could go onto Babe, the Blue Oxen to replace those horrid Sears Free Spirit "drop bars" that some drunken engineer designed on a dark Monday morning - you know, the bars that curve into the hooks then just go straight down, no drops. Now Babe has proper steel bars to provide greater aerobic benefit and the drunken Free Spirit bars go into the tip to become pots and pans.
Old 01-03-18, 08:49 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I've been slowly making progress on a rusty, crusty Peugeot. I wanted to save the Huret wingnuts, but as they're French, that meant saving the rest of the hubs. A bench polisher made quick work! I'll start a build thread soon, after I de-rust the frame, as I want to get some input from you guys about building it back up.

Old 01-03-18, 09:34 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Nice work @tiredhands !
Old 01-03-18, 10:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Some wintertime maintenance for the Bianchi Eros last night. Its RX100 freehub gums up on occasion when grease migrates from the wheel bearing into the freehub mechanism. It's not enough to prevent the bike from being ridden, but it causes a slight drag when coasting and the occasional missed engagement upon pedalling again, especially when it's colder out. In the past, I have suspected that I used too much grease when repacking the wheel bearing, so it was getting pushed into the freehub. But I thought I did a good job of using less and only putting it where it was needed last time. I'm wondering now if I've been leaving too much WD-40 and/or oil in the freehub after relubing it, which then seeps out over time and encourages the grease to circulate. So this time around, I'm going to give it extra time to drain out before reassembling. We'll find out if that works.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-03-18, 12:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
@DQRider, when I was in college, my only bike, my pride and joy, a brand new PXN-10, was stolen. My roommate loaned me his C. Itoh, even lower than your Bridgestone. That kind of bike was beneath my dignity, so to speak. I commuted on it and came to love and appreciate it, and it warmed me to the concept of beater bikes. Other than wheel truing, the bike never really needed anything, a testament to its decent construction. The ride was slow but predictable and comfortable. I oiled it and maintained it in other ways. I think I changed the tires on it before returning it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-06-18, 07:32 PM
ParaWK4

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got this Schwinn Tempo a while ago and it has been sitting as a bare frame. I put a Tange chrome fork with a longer steering tube on it. I plan to continue to build it up with parts on hand as a friction shift 6-speed. I haven't been very excited about this one but the chrome fork spices it up a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8573C.jpg (1.10 MB, 250 views)
Old 01-06-18, 08:01 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@DQRider, when I was in college, my only bike, my pride and joy, a brand new PXN-10, was stolen. My roommate loaned me his C. Itoh, even lower than your Bridgestone. That kind of bike was beneath my dignity, so to speak. I commuted on it and came to love and appreciate it, and it warmed me to the concept of beater bikes. Other than wheel truing, the bike never really needed anything, a testament to its decent construction. The ride was slow but predictable and comfortable. I oiled it and maintained it in other ways. I think I changed the tires on it before returning it.
Sorry I've taken so long to answer, but life gets in the way sometimes...

Yeah, at the same time that I am learning what Quality is in a vintage steel bicycle, I've begun to appreciate the charms of these strange little innovations various makers tried with their lower-end models to make them stand out from the rabble.

Among the curious bits and bobs I've discovered on this Bridgestone, is a little plastic cable wheel like those on the old English 3-speeds, except this one is about 1/3 the size of those and it is screwed into a braze-on on the downtube ahead of the crank.

It's supposed to warm up enough tomorrow that I should be able to work out in my shop. I have limited heating out there, and standing in a 30°F room trying to work on small parts with my bare hands got old in a hurry. I'll shoot some photos tomorrow; significant progress has been made...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-06-18, 08:54 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
This fifty year old car. Bringing it back to life after a 15+15 year hybernation.

Old 01-06-18, 08:59 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
This fifty year old car. Bringing it back to life after a 15+15 year hybernation.

Oh, we're gonna need more details on the Cougar sir.
Old 01-06-18, 09:49 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Oh, we're gonna need more details on the Cougar sir.
Well.. it's a long story

My dad bought it back in the late 70s(he was in the used car business). I drove it some while I was in high school, when I got bored with my own cars. I Joined the Marines in 83 and forgot about the car until my dad passed away in 2000.

After his passing, my brothers and I went through all of his 'stuff'. He had this underground garage that was real damp and full of his lifetimes worth of things. So, in the back corner of the shop, underneath piles of tools, nick-nacs, and other junk, was this 67 Cougar. When I uncovered it, it brought back many fond memories of school, friends and cruising in this old Merc. It had been there for at least 15-17 years(still in the dark about the history up to that point)

I spent a few hours digging it out and changing fluids in it. To my surprise, the damn thing fired right off with a shot of ether and some fresh gas. Anyhow, I bought a house shortly after that(as well as kids,wife, & a whole bunch of other responsibilities),so the car went into my garage for another 15 years...

Forward to last summer:

My son had been egging me on to do something about the neglected Cougar. In July we dumped some gas into it and a shot of ether... And whadyaknow, it fired right up. Well, it was like opening up a can of worms. The brakes were frozen, carburetor was all gummed up from old gas, and whole bunch of other stuff needed fixed. Every time I fired it up, it seems like something else needs attention.

It's a 1967 standard Cougar with a 289 4V, factory air and an automatic transmission. The brakes are four wheel drums with NO power assist.

But hey, we got it drive-able, licensed and insured, and have been driving it and fixing things as we go. My kids freakin love it!

Old 01-07-18, 02:21 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Well.. it's a long story

My dad bought it back in the late 70s(he was in the used car business). I drove it some while I was in high school, when I got bored with my own cars. I Joined the Marines in 83 and forgot about the car until my dad passed away in 2000.

After his passing, my brothers and I went through all of his 'stuff'. He had this underground garage that was real damp and full of his lifetimes worth of things. So, in the back corner of the shop, underneath piles of tools, nick-nacs, and other junk, was this 67 Cougar. When I uncovered it, it brought back many fond memories of school, friends and cruising in this old Merc. It had been there for at least 15-17 years(still in the dark about the history up to that point)

I spent a few hours digging it out and changing fluids in it. To my surprise, the damn thing fired right off with a shot of ether and some fresh gas. Anyhow, I bought a house shortly after that(as well as kids,wife, & a whole bunch of other responsibilities),so the car went into my garage for another 15 years...

Forward to last summer:

My son had been egging me on to do something about the neglected Cougar. In July we dumped some gas into it and a shot of ether... And whadyaknow, it fired right up. Well, it was like opening up a can of worms. The brakes were frozen, carburetor was all gummed up from old gas, and whole bunch of other stuff needed fixed. Every time I fired it up, it seems like something else needs attention.

It's a 1967 standard Cougar with a 289 4V, factory air and an automatic transmission. The brakes are four wheel drums with NO power assist.

But hey, we got it drive-able, licensed and insured, and have been driving it and fixing things as we go. My kids freakin love it!

Sounds like somebody needs to call the "Garage Squad"! (Fix-er-up show on Velocity channel.)

Old 01-07-18, 02:40 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Progress...

... on the Unnecessary Bridgestone.

To review (and sorry for double posting, but this requires contrast).

Before:

And now that I have it stripped-down and mostly mocked-up with only a few pieces missing -

In Process:

I wish the sun was out today, it would look a lot nicer. Still, you get the idea of where I'm going with this one. Nothing is permanently mounted yet, so I still have options. It's going to get a nice chainguard, and a saddlebag, and one or two new graphics, but it's mostly all there.

It just occurred to me that there will still be a lot of winter left by the time I finish this. Time to look for that next project...

Old 01-07-18, 05:52 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Well.. it's a long story

Forward to last summer:

Great story, and history on the project. If you kids dig it, run with it. Excellent way to spend quality time.
Old 01-07-18, 07:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
This morning I swapped out the DA 7400 series brake calipers for 7700 series calipers on my Serotta. The rest of the components were 7700 series so I wanted the calipers to match. Seems a bit anal when I think about it.
Not at all, it completes the group, plus you get dual-pivot. 😎
I'm planning to upgrade my early 105 calipers to Tri-Color, eventually, just because everything else is Tri-Color. Oh, and the FD.
I was just tweaking the fit on my trekking bars this afternoon, after installing one of those adjustable stems not too long ago. It fits way better now, and looks pretty good too. 😁
Old 01-07-18, 09:06 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 131 Posts
I've been doing some annual maintenance on a 1986 Lotus Excelle I'd bought new but gave to my then-teenage nephew when I bought a new bike in 2007.
Nice to have Ol' Paint back in the basement corral, even if it is only temporary. Glad to know my nephew exercises it regularly.
After I gave it away, I missed it and purchased another one I found on CL, which I ride occasionally.

Fun with bikes.
Old 01-07-18, 09:58 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Too much cold/snow here in Jersey to venture out, so I've been doing some updating, 1x converting and beer drinking.

Just posted the first three on the Retro/Brifter thread. Also just finished a new Ritchey Swiss Cross, which I'll claim KOF C&V status, since the original first hit the market more than 20yrs ago. These are tig-welded lightweight steel main frames with a CF fork.

'78 Chris Kvale, just converted to 1x, weighs in at 21.6lbs (w/o bottle or computer):

'82 Columbine, swapped out crank, wheels, seatpost and cassette just to slim her down, to about 21.5lbs (w/o pump, bottle or computer):

2011 Waterford ST-22, fully neoretro, just converted to 1x, weighs 22.5lbs w/fenders, rear rack (no rack bag, bottles, computer or headlight):

2017 Ritchey Swiss Cross, v2b; pretty light a 19.6lbs:
Old 01-07-18, 10:02 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Been doing a whole lot of cleaning and polishing of the shiny bits for a Raleigh DL1 project. Working on the bars and wheels now including an AW 3spd rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0739[1].jpg (827.5 KB, 202 views)
Old 01-08-18, 12:13 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Been doing a whole lot of cleaning and polishing of the shiny bits for a Raleigh DL1 project. Working on the bars and wheels now including an AW 3spd rebuild.
Did some polishing this weekend too.....

It's the Ciinelli 1R stem that's test mounted on my Bottecchia in the pic.
Came out really nice but it took a lot of time and effort to get it all the scratches off and all polished up. Reminded me why I don' do polishing of anodized parts that often. What a mess it makes and so much effort for such a simple thing! Didn't help when the plastic front cap went missing after it pinged off into a dark corner of the garage when I tried to snap it back on....... took over an hour to find the dang thing. Almost gave up when it magically fell out of a small microfiber rag that I was about to wipe the bike frame with.... I swear, my garage is haunted or something, as i remember checking that rag and the area around it and found nothing....
Next time I'll remember to wear a bunny suit gloves and a hat when I polish another component. I have to remember too how I got the anodizing off too to make things go quicker....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-08-18 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 12:21 AM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm working on my NOS just purchased 2015 Bianchi Impulso, removing the Ultegra 6800 and subbing in Campy Potenza. I plan on riding it for my birthday in February. As an aside, I'll have a pretty sweet deal for new-take-off 6800 STIs, GS rear, and braze-on FD coming up soon.
Old 01-10-18, 04:05 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Decided to modernized my Ciocc a little. Last year year, it got Brifters. This year, I'm trying out the new, outboard bottom bracket. Got the Shimano Ultegra BBR60 bearings installed today. Waiting for the crankset. Also, waiting for a 13-34T casette. This will be my dedicated climber. KB

OutBoard Bearing.jpg
Old 01-10-18, 11:00 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I've been dealing with a weird illness of some sort (equilibrium-based--real fun) ever since Jan 1 and there have been some other factors that have led it to linger. So to pass the time during some properly dreary and rainy days and nights, I cleaned up the apartment from its post-Christmas mess, and assembled my '99 Marinoni again, lol. Why have organized piles of frames, wheels, and parts, when you can organize them into one easy-to-move bicycle?!? Genius! Also, it weighs in at a hair over 20.0 lbs with pedals and cages. 25mm tires juuuuust clear the seat tube in the back, and the underside of the fork crown in front. Full 7800 with light Vuelta wheels. 11-28T cassette in back. It'll climb in more ways than one...if only it would stop raining so I can try it out...

Somehow, I still have yet to re-tighten the headset on my Miyata winter bike that I ride every day....go figure.

Old 01-15-18, 11:58 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks to a number of forum members, I spent some time this winter putting this little number together:
[IMG][/IMG]

I know in the heirarchy of Bianchi frame this is pretty low end, but it is by far the nicest bike I have built so far. Shimano Tricolor parts are very nice to work with as well . I still need to fine tune the gearing, and if anyone can see anything from this pic that looks like it needs attention please don't hesitate to point it out.

I took it for a spin yesterday afternoon and I can't decide (due to my lack of experience I suppose) whether it is a squirrelly ride due to some mechanical issue I'm missing or if it's just so much more responsive than anything I've ridden so far . I hope it's the latter, and I suppose time will tell as I come to trust it more and finish fine-tuning it, because this thing can really move.

Edit: I see the RD position, that's something I know needs to be adjusted.
Old 01-15-18, 12:36 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Thanks to a number of forum members, I spent some time this winter putting this little number together:
[IMG][/IMG]

I know in the heirarchy of Bianchi frame this is pretty low end, but it is by far the nicest bike I have built so far. Shimano Tricolor parts are very nice to work with as well . I still need to fine tune the gearing, and if anyone can see anything from this pic that looks like it needs attention please don't hesitate to point it out.

I took it for a spin yesterday afternoon and I can't decide (due to my lack of experience I suppose) whether it is a squirrelly ride due to some mechanical issue I'm missing or if it's just so much more responsive than anything I've ridden so far . I hope it's the latter, and I suppose time will tell as I come to trust it more and finish fine-tuning it, because this thing can really move.

Edit: I see the RD position, that's something I know needs to be adjusted.

The Brava is a great bike IMHO. Bought a used one for my daughter about 15 years ago. She still rides it. She has refused many offers for another bike. It has moved all over the country with her.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.