Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-bike specific chains?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-bike specific chains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 01:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
e-bike specific chains?

Shimano, KMC and I assume others manufacture an e-bike specific version of their chains.

Is the difference significant enough to warrant purchase? My main concern is breaking a chain, not how fast I will wear it out.

I've been using XTR 11-speed chains on my bikes, including my wife's 11-speed 105-level Cannondale/Bosch ebike. Nothing bad has happened with hers, but she isn't exactly torquing it to death. I just put one on my 11-speed mountain bike conversion, but am now wondering if a CN-E8000 11-speed ebike specific "STEPS" chain might be a better choice?
Old 07-29-23, 03:37 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The added wear on e-bike chains is when it has to absorb the tension of the motor drive and the chainring at the same time. The 70 lb Class II bikes are likely to put more stress on the chain than a 30 lb Class III e-bike or a commuter bike ridden primarily on flat ground. The SRAM PC-GX Eagle chains are made for electric mountain bikes (Turbo Levo) and are very strong and smooth chains.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 07-29-23, 04:35 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I've been using inexpensive 8-speed chains on my BBS02-equipped MTB for eight years (my wife and son for shorter times) and have never had an incident. I used to carry a "quick link", in case there was a problem, but stopped several years ago since it was superfluous.
Likes For 2old:
Old 07-31-23, 11:20 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I converted several older steel bikes to 10 speed cassette with the appropriate 10 speed chain. I have since found that the jewel like 10 speed chains wear rather quickly. I bought a RAD City with a 7 speed rear freewheel. The chain is beefy as heck and I'm finding that it is wearing much better than the 10 speed chain. I recently found out about the heavier duty chains being put on e-bikes and I suspect that is what is on my RAD. May be going back to 7 speed setups on my old steel bikes with e-bike chains.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 08-05-23, 11:40 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
My understanding is that the e-bike chains are not intended to increase life over a regular chain. They wear just as quickly.

The difference is how the plates are peened. E-bikes are far more likely to be shifted under load, which puts a heavy side-load on the chain. The stronger peening makes the chains more resistant to breakage when an inexperienced rider shifts without taking enough load off of the pedals. Some e-bikes also have a significant torque lag (torque continues to be applied after the rider stops pedaling) which makes the problem even worse.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 08-05-23, 11:45 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I bought one of the Shimano 11-speed e-bike chains on sale (25% off Shimano stuff at REI), and put it on. If there is a difference, I can't see it. The peening explanation makes sense. It was also the longest chain I have ever seen (136 links I think, about 20 more than I needed). Now at least I can use my XTR chain for its original intended purpose.
Old 08-06-23, 09:20 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
From another thread, but the poster says he works for KMC

Like others have said I just buy standard chains, replace them when they are worn and haven't had an issue

Originally Posted by Papa Ado
The primary difference of our e-bike chains vs regular chains is the pin riveting technology used. Extended durability is an added bonus from us as e-bike riders usually ride farther.

Mid motors exert massive force across the chain between the chainring and cassette. When shifting under this load, the torsional stress is immense and this is where most chains fail on e-bikes (unfortunately, also on regular bikes on occasion). The issue is the chain plates are pulled in opposite directions when shifting on cassette teeth while the motor is pulling the chain. If a regular chain hasn't shifted correctly by the time it makes it to the top of the cassette and is "twisted", the pin power may not be enough to hold the chain together and calamity may ensue where the plate pulls away from the pin. Our new ebike-specific chains have a larger pin that is riveted in a completely different way than regular chains and have been recognized by ebike brands and product managers around the world. Check your favorite brands ebike specs and you'll see many are already using our ebike chains.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-06-23, 07:31 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
My understanding is that the e-bike chains are not intended to increase life over a regular chain. They wear just as quickly.

The difference is how the plates are peened. E-bikes are far more likely to be shifted under load, which puts a heavy side-load on the chain. The stronger peening makes the chains more resistant to breakage when an inexperienced rider shifts without taking enough load off of the pedals. Some e-bikes also have a significant torque lag (torque continues to be applied after the rider stops pedaling) which makes the problem even worse.
Some chain manufacturers will add extra durability (giving longer chain life) to eBike-specific chains through harder pins and rollers. For example, KMC has "Sport" and "Turbo" e-series chains with the latter offering 3x chain life. To note, the Turbo models are the only ones available in the aftermarket.

However, KMC is the only chain manufacturer that uses a unique riveting process to flatten the pin thus significantly increasing pin power. This better holds the chain plates together, preventing the plate peeling off and resulting chain failure. Pin difference shown below

Standard (left) vs e-series chain pins (right)
Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 08-06-23, 10:04 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I didn't know about the peeling problem and I've not had that issue with my 10 speed chains. What I'm looking for is better materials, longer wearing materials, and frankly a wider pin and roller assembly to spread wear over a greater surface area. 7 speed chain is wider that 10 speed chain and this width is in pin and roller length, both of which are the wear areas of a chain. I was glad to see the recommendations for tougher chain and will seek it out for my 10 speeds. No chains last forever but my e-bike 7 speed chain has been bulletproof with little signs of wear over 3000+ miles. I ride in Pedal Assist mode 1 and pedal all the time. I try to maintain a 12 to 15mph speed. Pedal Assist mode 1 on my RAD is 50 watts of power so you have to add some watts of your own to maintain higher speeds.
Old 08-07-23, 12:47 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
WAG with no specific knowledge but I bet chain care and rider habits swamp any differences in chain construction or materials.
Old 08-09-23, 02:44 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Chains on an e-bike have to handle higher loads with the combined pedal power of the rider and the power applied by the drive motor. I use standard Shimano chains for 11-speed bikes on my e-road bike and have spare chains as I expect the chains to last half as long. The price has dropped for the chains by more than 30% from its pandemic price gouging level.

Over reliance on the bike motor going up hills is going to shorten chain life so I drop to the same gear I would use without the motor and go up the hills at the same speed.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-09-23, 03:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
when I tested a regular shimano chain to their ebike chain I got 1000 more miles 2000 verses 3000 but it was twice the price. I am testing the KMC chain right now as Now I need a longer chain so after having to split a second chain and buy more quick links its not such a bad deal.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 08-09-23, 03:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The 136 links was 20 more than I needed, but if this is an issue for someone, it alone would be a compelling reason. I got the e-version on sale, so it was cheaper that the XTR/Dura Ace one I was going to use.

I wax my chains, and for non-ebikes at least, that really helps with the lifespan.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-12-23, 05:18 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
When I rode from Kansas to Utah on my eBike I ended up replacing my chain with a BMX chain. I was having trouble with the e original chain breaking on a steep grade to the west of Pueblo CO. Yes, I later found that pining a chain back together, without a quick link, is not a recommended practice.

That said, I had no trouble with the BMX chain other than I needed to adjust one guide tube for the chain (remember, I was on a recumbent trike). I will add that I had an internal geared hub (actually a NuVinci). Because of that, there were no shifter issues to deal with.
Old 08-13-23, 06:28 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
What I'm looking for is better materials, longer wearing materials, and frankly a wider pin and roller assembly to spread wear over a greater surface area. 7 speed chain is wider that 10 speed chain and this width is in pin and roller length, both of which are the wear areas of a chain.
It is my understanding the between the pin width doesn't really vary. I purposely selected an 8 speed cassette on my mid drive conversion for the cheaper and reportedly stronger chains.

Bike chains explained: structure, speeds, compatibility, chain length and more - BikeRadar

It’s worth noting that the roller widths of derailleur chains for different numbers of speeds are almost the same: 2.38mm for 5- to 8-speed chains and 2.18mm for 9-speed and above. What changes is the width of the side plates.
Likes For Pop N Wood: