Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Zero Length Stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 11:38 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The one place where a zero length stem would have an issue, is trying to ride with no hands.
One of the self-steering mechanisms on the bicycle, is that when the bike starts falling to one side, the handlebar will also flop to the same side because of the weight of the bar at the end of the stem. This helps arrest the fall. (there are other effects to help self-steering too. Namely gyroscopic precession and tire camber). This effect is especially pronounced at low speed. If the stem is zero length, the weight of the handlebar will not cause the fork to turn, hence less self steering. If the stem is pointing backwards, it's even worse- it's working at cross purpose now.
If you are running a zero length stem, you could attach a lead weight to a stick that attaches to the bars or stem. A front reflector holder for example. This will help replace this self steering effect lost by going to zero length stem.
Some interesting assertions. I can't square them with what I see here, with riders on bikes with zero-reach stems, etc.

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-24-23, 11:56 AM
Trakhak

One more.

Old 08-24-23, 06:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I see a number of people want to disagree with me, without giving any reasons..
I wrote three paragraphs, but I guess since I didn’t directly address the magical thinking of the effect of from reflector brackets on self-steering, none of it counts. I’m also not going to go out to the garage and tip my bikes over to see which side the handle bars flop to.

Here’s a data point for you:
I have two similar bikes: a Cannondale F-1000 and a Klein Pinnacle, both aluminum frame, 26” wheel MTBs with ~700mm wide bars.
The Cannondale has a 140mm stem and is nearly impossible to ride no-hands; only if you’re going fast, straight, and you hold really still.
The Klein, OTOH, will go for blocks; you can pedal, get a drink, take pictures, go around curves; I’ve never had a bike that stable.
It has a 50mm BMX stem.

It’s not the stem length.
Old 08-24-23, 06:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This thread is about stems and not about drivetrains. I am not sure why you would even bring up something so irrelevant. I just don't understand why there is so much butthurt because of OPs desire to try something different...and BTW zero length stems is nothing new, they have been around for as long as the bicycle itself.
I was talking to you and directing my comment at yours. Re-read my post and then make a comment don't just reply without reading and understanding. You frequently post useless stuff that goes nowhere yet you are complaining about a similar thing here even though you are guilty of it yourself.

There is no butthurt, My butt is quite unhurt, I am in one of those AeroChairs quite comfortable and has lasted a really long time and still looks kinda new. People are giving good advice and you and the OP are taking it like we are just attacking him and we are just a holes because we aren't just being an echo chamber for the OP.
Old 08-24-23, 08:37 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Some interesting assertions. I can't square them with what I see here, with riders on bikes with zero-reach stems, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3qTVg3hhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AccKQYgZk
^ This.

Have a bike with just a coaster brake? You can even ride with the whole front end spun around.

It’s awkward, but no it’s not going to be incredibly unstable and make you magically fall over.
Old 08-24-23, 09:45 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
I see a number of people want to disagree with me, without giving any reasons. It's an easy experiment to do for anyone who has a fixed gear bike. loosen the stem and turn the stem /bars around 180 degree. And then tilt the bike to the left or right. See if the fork steers into the turn or steers away from the turn.
BTW I''ve never done this experiment myself so I'd be interested in the outcome too.
I read what you wrote again and now I think I understand what you are trying to say. Let me try to explain it another way and let me know if it is the same...

​​​​​In motorcycle class, you are taught that if you want to turn right, you push the right handlebar forward. That's counter steering, which precipitates a shift of the tire's contact patch from the centerline of the tire towards the edge and the familiar lean. In a way, it's kind of a controlled fall to the right counteracted by the forward momentum of the motorcycle. That's precession.

The same thing happens on a bicycle. When you push the right bar forward (you may not think of steering in those terms but that is what is happening) the bicycle begins to lean, countersteer, and precess. The force required to initiate the turn and the sensitivity and stability whilst turning depends upon a number of things, including rake, trail, tire circumference, etc...

Now imagine riding no hands and the bike starts to lean to the right. Without touching the handlebar (imagine flat bars for easier visualization), the right handlebar has pivoted forward (with the steering axis as the point of rotation). Since the head tube is not vertical but rather raked, the tip of the right handlebar is now vertically higher than the neutral position. Not a lot - millimeters perhaps - but is is higher. And the because of gravity, the tip of the right handlebar wants to return to it's lower position thanks to gravity, so it exerts a "corrective" force that helps bring the bike back to vertical.

To make this idea clearer, imagine a really relaxed head tube angle - say 45 degrees - and a comically long stem - say 1 foot. As the bike starts leaning and falling to the right, the tip of the right handlebar will rise considerably and gravity will pull it back towards center. Now imagine the same head tube ange but a 0 extension stem; the tip of the bar will rise but not nearly as high.

(to model it more precisely, you really need to be looking at the center of gravity of the handlebar plus stem and how that CoG relates to the steering axis. The CoG is likely near the juncture of the stem and bar, and it rises if the bike falls to the right.)

This kind of makes sense. A longer stem will push the CoG further away from the steering axis thus creating a greater "corrective" moment force upon that axis. Imagine, for example, 2 lb weights at the end of the handlebars. A longer stem will exert a stronger "corrective" moment upon the steering axis vs a smaller or 0 extension stem.

With all of this said, whether a bike with 0 stem extension can be ridden no hands or not likely depends upon front end geometry and tire profile as much as anything. Also note that a rearward facing stem will exhibit the same behavior as a forward facing stem in this no hands example.

Is this what you were suggesting?
Old 08-24-23, 10:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
I still maintain the type of bike and the type of fork and the type of handlebars and the use of the bicycle = best determine optimal placement of hands for a given handlebar/stem combo. Can it be ridden in any other configuration? = absolutely.. Is it worth trying? = why not for people so inclined?

Consider the differences: commuting within Amsterdam, maybe loaded. As opposed to motorpaced Stayer bike riding.

Love the paint with coordinated rims and the lock not my style of riding

nice patina, bit 'o history, not my style of riding
Old 08-24-23, 11:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I believe those bikes have different geometry as well, and trail is probably a key factor in the handling of the bike. But the more I read these responses, the more I realize that I was indeed (as someone here put it) only thinking of drop bar road bikes and not one of the many other types of bikes, some of which are designed to have shorter stems.
Old 08-25-23, 04:00 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Yep, I believe you can't find them because they would make your bike dangerously difficult to handle.
No it won't.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-25-23, 05:35 AM
Trakhak

I believe those bikes have different geometry as well, and trail is probably a key factor in the handling of the bike. But the more I read these responses, the more I realize that I was indeed (as someone here put it) only thinking of drop bar road bikes and not one of the many other types of bikes, some of which are designed to have shorter stems.
Post 82, just above your post, shows a stayer bike - drop bars, fork turned around to ensure that the bike can get maximum draft from a motorcycle. Motorpacing is fast. It's obvious from a glance at that bike that trail was not a "key factor" in its design.

The bikes used for artistic cycling violate all the rules that people in this thread have put forth. In fact, over many years of attempts to design an unrideable bike, the only version that seems to qualify is one where the wheel and handle bar move in opposite directions. Do a search for "unrideable bicycle," and you'll see a bike with sprockets between the handlebar and the headset to accomplish that.

Bicycles are astonishingly forgiving of variations in stem length, fork geometry, handlebar configuration, etc. If nothing else, people can learn from this thread that some of their fundamental beliefs concerning bike design were mistaken.
Old 08-25-23, 05:46 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by john m flores
​​​​​In motorcycle class, you are taught that if you want to turn right, you push the right handlebar forward. That's counter steering, which precipitates a shift of the tire's contact patch from the centerline of the tire towards the edge and the familiar lean. In a way, it's kind of a controlled fall to the right counteracted by the forward momentum of the motorcycle. That's precession.
One thing I've learned from reading Bike Forums threads over the years - every bicycle rider who has taken motorcycle classes believes fervently that bicycles cannot be ridden without counter-steering, whereas most bicycle riders who haven't taken motorcycle classes find that hard to believe.

The simple fact that a bicycle can be steered easily from the saddle while riding no hands, both in a straight line and around corners, would seem to obviate the assertion that bikes can't be steered without counter-steering as described in the quote above, and yet . . .

Yes, bicycles can be counter-steered, but doing so is not essential.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-25-23, 06:38 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
And all the OP wanted was some links to zero length stems, LOL

If nothing else, people can learn from this thread ...
Not a chance
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-25-23, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
One thing I've learned from reading Bike Forums threads over the years - every bicycle rider who has taken motorcycle classes believes fervently that bicycles cannot be ridden without counter-steering, whereas most bicycle riders who haven't taken motorcycle classes find that hard to believe.

The simple fact that a bicycle can be steered easily from the saddle while riding no hands, both in a straight line and around corners, would seem to obviate the assertion that bikes can't be steered without counter-steering as described in the quote above, and yet . . .

Well there was this experiment showing what happens when you deliberately prevent any counter-steering.

When you ride no handed I think counter steering happens automatically. Try riding a bike with a very stiff headset no-handed. It makes it almost impossible.

The above video also addresses some of the other common misconceptions about bike stability and their interesting research into it.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-25-23 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-25-23, 07:25 AM
john m flores 

Motorcycles can be ridden without counter-steering too, at parking lot speeds or when navigating slowly through technical terrain. I once tested a three-wheeled leaning scooter. One of the features was a lockout of the leaning function at traffic lights so that you did not have to put your foot down when stopped. When the light turned green, if you accelerated very slowly, the scooter would crawl forward perfectly vertical, and if your wheel was pointed slightly to the right, the scooter would move in that direction. In other words, not countersteering. Once you hit 5mph or so, the lockout stopped and the bike was free to lean again and from that point on it was countersteering.

Bicycles behave similarly. When you're on a mountain bike picking the best line through a field of softball sized rocks, you're not countersteering. When you've taken that first half pedal stroke, you're not countersteering. When you're slowing to a stop and aiming the bike towards a bike rack, you're not countersteering. But once you've achieved a speed above walking pace, whether you realize it not, you're countersteering.
Old 08-25-23, 07:28 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Post 82, just above your post, shows a stayer bike - drop bars, fork turned around to ensure that the bike can get maximum draft from a motorcycle. Motorpacing is fast. It's obvious from a glance at that bike that trail was not a "key factor" in its design.
That would increase trail, increasing the stability of the bike.

Do a search for "unrideable bicycle," and you'll see a bike with sprockets between the handlebar and the headset to accomplish that..
Ah yes, I found that video a year or two ago and was amused and amazed. I would have thought one could train themselves to make their movements opposite, but that did not seem to be the case.
Old 08-25-23, 07:30 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by phughes
No it won't.
A little late to the party, but thanks for your thorough input.
Old 08-25-23, 07:39 AM
phughes

A little late to the party, but thanks for your thorough input.
Yes, well I have been traveling out of the country, and Ave been at sea so I just saw the thread, and your horrible hyperbole deserved another response.
Old 08-25-23, 10:17 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Yes, well I have been traveling out of the country, and Ave been at sea so I just saw the thread, and your horrible hyperbole deserved another response.
I acknowledge that I’m not always right, and I don’t mind being corrected. However, disagreeing without providing some sort of information or support is weak and pointless. Then when you consider that multiple people have already corrected me with said information days before you joined in? Silly.
Old 08-25-23, 10:30 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Ya'll right, I'm wrong. (for the young guys that need that sort of thing, I may even have some trophies here somewhere).
With all the talking over each other, pseudo science v. pixie dust arguments, we're missing the point. Length of stem does not change the steering characteristics of a bike, but it certainly appears to, because it magnifies or diminishes the lever, making an equal input (deliberate or inadvertent) have a different magnitude. And yes, one certainly counter steers when steering with one's butt, it;s a lean and pivot of the hips.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-25-23, 10:42 AM
phughes

I acknowledge that I’m not always right, and I don’t mind being corrected. However, disagreeing without providing some sort of information or support is weak and pointless. Then when you consider that multiple people have already corrected me with said information days before you joined in? Silly.
I'm so sorry you are so bothered that I read a thread, without seeing the date of your post, then replied in a manner that is displeasing to you. Had I realized the thread was old, I would not have responded. Yeah, I responded to you before I read the entire thread. It happens.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-25-23, 11:15 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Motorcycles can be ridden without counter-steering too, at parking lot speeds or when navigating slowly through technical terrain. I once tested a three-wheeled leaning scooter. One of the features was a lockout of the leaning function at traffic lights so that you did not have to put your foot down when stopped. When the light turned green, if you accelerated very slowly, the scooter would crawl forward perfectly vertical, and if your wheel was pointed slightly to the right, the scooter would move in that direction. In other words, not countersteering. Once you hit 5mph or so, the lockout stopped and the bike was free to lean again and from that point on it was countersteering.

Bicycles behave similarly. When you're on a mountain bike picking the best line through a field of softball sized rocks, you're not countersteering. When you've taken that first half pedal stroke, you're not countersteering. When you're slowing to a stop and aiming the bike towards a bike rack, you're not countersteering. But once you've achieved a speed above walking pace, whether you realize it not, you're countersteering.
IOW, a trike that was forced to steer as a car, steered as a car.
As soon as it was allowed to steer with lean, it did.

You know… bikes with training wheels don’t need to be counter steered. Bikes with training wheels don’t steer like bikes.

”I can make a 3 wheel vehicle steer like a car.”

Not applicable to bikes.
Old 08-25-23, 11:26 AM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
IOW, a trike that was forced to steer as a car, steered as a car.
As soon as it was allowed to steer with lean, it did.

You know… bikes with training wheels don’t need to be counter steered. Bikes with training wheels don’t steer like bikes.

”I can make a 3 wheel vehicle steer like a car.”

Not applicable to bikes.
May you did not understand. This was no normal trike. A trike or a bicycle with training wheels does not lean or countersteer in order to turn.

Old 08-25-23, 11:56 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I'm so sorry you are so bothered that I read a thread, without seeing the date of your post, then replied in a manner that is displeasing to you. Had I realized the thread was old, I would not have responded. Yeah, I responded to you before I read the entire thread. It happens.
I can’t tell if that apology is sarcastic or genuine, but I’ll take it either way, and I admit I chuckled that you responded to me simply because of my sarcasm. The only thing that really bothers me is when someone says “you’re wrong” without backing it up with supporting facts or evidence. I’ve been guilty of not reading a whole thread before.
Old 08-25-23, 02:01 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

May you did not understand. This was no normal trike. A trike or a bicycle with training wheels does not lean or countersteer in order to turn.

It doesn’t matter.

A bike or motorcycle has one gyro in front and one in back. The one in front is roughly in line with the steering axis. These gyroscopes are also the wheels and tires that contact the ground.

Any machine that matches the above description for wheel arrangement will steer the same way, initiating a turn with counter steering.

The machine you posted has three three contact patches. In geometry how many points make a plane? How many points make a line? The machine you posted is irrelevant to bicycles.

^ The above motorcycle probably also does not lean or counter steer to turn at very low speeds. I’ll let you think about why.
Old 08-25-23, 02:11 PM
john m flores 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
It doesn’t matter.

A bike or motorcycle has one gyro in front and one in back. The one in front is roughly in line with the steering axis. These gyroscopes are also the wheels and tires that contact the ground.

Any machine that matches the above description for wheel arrangement will steer the same way, initiating a turn with counter steering.

The machine you posted has three three contact patches. In geometry how many points make a plane? How many points make a line? The machine you posted is irrelevant to bicycles.

^ The above motorcycle probably also does not lean or counter steer to turn at very low speeds. I’ll let you think about why.
I'm no longer sure what your argument is - that motorcycle and bicycles don't use the same physics? Or that they do? Or that the only way that two wheeled vehicles steer is via counter steering?
​​​​​​
To be clear, I'll restate my position - at slow speeds, two wheeled vehicles can sometimes steer by turning in the direction of travel but beyond walking speeds steering is accomplished via counter steering.

​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.