Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket Chinese disk brake adapters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 12:03 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Is it worth buying any of aftermarket adapters found on Amazon such as this one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B089M8NHQH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Previously bought one from Hong Kong on Amazon and never had any problems.
In the rewievs for red 203 mm version someone was complaining about stripped threads. That might be user error only.
Hard to find any convincing reviews about brake adapters in general.
There was a fast shipping for 203 mm Shimano SMRT 76 rotor from Amazon so I thought the most logical thing to do is to get the adapter at the same time since only rear Shimano adapters were available on Amazon at the time.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-02-23 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-02-23, 08:00 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
From what I have seen, many of the Amazon/No-Name/Mainland China parts are decent but some have poor quality control such as bad threads and fit is off, etc. Odds are not too bad you'll get a good one but if it's no good you'll probably have to wait awhile to get a replacement which may be just as bad. Personally I would buy a known reliable brand from a shop/online with established reputations and shop around as you may be able to get a good deal.
Old 09-02-23, 08:10 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Little things like that really should come from a LBS.

It'll cost dollars more, you'll get the right part, and get right on to enjoy cycling now.

Prime delivery is *great* for a lot of things, yes you save time and possible vehicle feul, but when it comes to automotive parts and bike parts, I make an effort with the local businesses that I have a relationship with.

I follow up with people I personally know and people I recently met.

The local shops supply a lot for the things I resell and would be nice that they not go out of business My retail prices are strong enough so it's ok that I pay $15 for a $8 mail order part.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 09-02-23, 09:52 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by soyabean

It'll cost dollars more, you'll get the right part, and get right on to enjoy cycling now.

Prime delivery is *great* for a lot of things, yes you save time and possible vehicle feul, but when it comes to automotive parts and bike parts, I make an effort with the local businesses that I have a relationship with.

I follow up with people I personally know and people I recently met.

The local shops supply a lot for the things I resell and would be nice that they not go out of business My retail prices are strong enough so it's ok that I pay $15 for a $8 mail order part.
Nowadays LBS around here are only interested in selling whole bikes and always reply with a: "Why don't you look for parts online we don't have any".

Last edited by sysrq; 09-02-23 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For sysrq:
Old 09-02-23, 10:02 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
If they service bikes, then they surely have everything in stock.

They are telling walk-ins that because they don't want their time wasted.

The Costco/Amazon era has evolved a new species of buyers who see anything above a web price, they think the local store is ripping them off.

Even if I weren't reselling bikes, I would still pay premium for parts because my time is vaulable, I like my bikes fixed asap so I can go biking while others are waiting for their potentioally wrong part to arrive.

Bike shops like money, and that's the same kind of regular clients they cater to.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 09-02-23, 10:13 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
From what I have seen, many of the Amazon/No-Name/Mainland China parts are decent but some have poor quality control such as bad threads and fit is off, etc. Odds are not too bad you'll get a good one but if it's no good you'll probably have to wait awhile to get a replacement which may be just as bad. Personally I would buy a known reliable brand from a shop/online with established reputations and shop around as you may be able to get a good deal.
Always looking for whatever is available with fastest delivery time since I never know when I will be required to commute to work.
Since I don't know the quality of the aluminium used then there is no other choice but to look for Shimano adapter from local companies on Monday and recieve it around Friday.
The only difference is Chinese 203 mm adapter looks rough around the edges at close up compared to 160 mm adapter from Hong Kong which is smooth.
Old 09-02-23, 10:26 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
It’s Amazon. Buy it and try it out. If it strips you can return it for a full refund. No-brainer.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 09-02-23 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-02-23, 11:43 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It’s Amazon. Buy it and try it out. If it strips you can return it for a full refund. No-brained.
Suddenly found Shimano SM-MA-F203PS sold directly by Amazon with next day delivery which should be delivered together with ESI grips. Hopefully it will not be counterfeit since there is only one meaningless review.
Seems like bigger adapter needs to be made with higher manufacturing quality despite the fact that bigger rotor reduces load on the fork while increasing the load on the spokes for less brake lever force.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-02-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-02-23, 02:46 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
sysrq By all means let us know if this works ! And what problem you think was solved.

would sure like to understand what you mean by "higher manufacturing quality". It's pretty much all spewed out by factories in China or Taiwan now.

I am not in agreement with your assertion that "higher manufacturing quality" but whatever works for you.

/markp
Old 09-02-23, 03:23 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I used to think like you but quickly discovered that local bike shops don't carry much of anything in the way of repair parts. I got the impression they order stuff from Amazon same as everyone else. I've even been lectured and told what I was asking for wasn't what I wanted. In fact, whenever a LBS has come through for me has usually been one of the mechanics selling, or flat out giving me, a part out of his personal parts bin stash.

I don't blame or even fault the LBS, just the nature of the beast these days.

REI is far and away the best parts supplier in my area.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 09-02-23, 05:44 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I used to think like you but quickly discovered that local bike shops don't carry much of anything in the way of repair parts. I got the impression they order stuff from Amazon same as everyone else. I've even been lectured and told what I was asking for wasn't what I wanted. In fact, whenever a LBS has come through for me has usually been one of the mechanics selling, or flat out giving me, a part out of his personal parts bin stash.

I don't blame or even fault the LBS, just the nature of the beast these days.

REI is far and away the best parts supplier in my area.
Same experience here. So far all the LBS have parts in stock for Tourney level stuff only or for latest Ultegra level weekend racing applications only. Typically no specific parts for medium level touring and commuting applications. Touring bikes are usually mashup of MTB and Road components anyway.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-02-23 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-03-23, 05:08 PM
sysrq

Turns out the Shimano adapter doesn't place the TRP hy/rd caliper far enough to clear the caliper slot. Looks like Chinese adapter moves the caliper bit too much outboard. Not sure yet.
Never stumbled upon any information about max rotor size for calipers. Quick search doesn't bring up anything about max rotor size for calipers in general and TRP also doesn't say anything.
Old 09-03-23, 05:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
In the end if you are a regular commuter you need to have and use a second bike and keep one bike maintained at all times. If you are relying on cheap-o no-name parts from wherever from whomever then you are going to be in trouble. Get a good reliable bike as your main bike and have a good reliable spare bike and go down to your local shop and get spares as needed or just bring them the bike when it is having problems and ride the spare or vice verse and you will be fine.

There are some places that may not have everything you need because there is so much to carry and limited space. However if you do as I have suggested above you will be fine.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-03-23, 05:55 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by veganbikes
In the end if you are a regular commuter you need to have and use a second bike and keep one bike maintained at all times. If you are relying on cheap-o no-name parts from wherever from whomever then you are going to be in trouble. Get a good reliable bike as your main bike and have a good reliable spare bike and go down to your local shop and get spares as needed or just bring them the bike when it is having problems and ride the spare or vice verse and you will be fine.

There are some places that may not have everything you need because there is so much to carry and limited space. However if you do as I have suggested above you will be fine.
Looks like there is a need for 1,5-2 mm spacers between the caliper and adapter.
It has been said that it's normal for these adapters requiring some tweaking since every fork and caliper is different.

It too expensive to select all the parts for long distance commuting (100 mile round trip) to make two bikes with the same comfort level.

Last edited by sysrq; 09-03-23 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-04-23, 10:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Looks like there is a need for 1,5-2 mm spacers between the caliper and adapter.
It has been said that it's normal for these adapters requiring some tweaking since every fork and caliper is different.

It too expensive to select all the parts for long distance commuting (100 mile round trip) to make two bikes with the same comfort level.
Not suggesting you have the exact same bike as back up just FYI. I am suggesting you have a back up bike that is functional and can be ridden should the need arise so you can ride one and have one repaired so you are never stuck. A 50 mile commute is rather long hopefully this job is paying you well.