Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Fat tire wheel chair + brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 07:33 AM
WC53

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat tire wheel chair + brakes

Trying to build a fat tire chair for my brother’s. He likes nature, can still roll himself in moderate conditions, but his current sport chair doesn’t cut it. He has a spare frame I can work with. He has become a bit of a shut in and try to help. Trying to design for a 26x4-5

The hub options I see are the woods and Sturmey-Archer. Better brakes would be a plus. If we could afford a lever conversion we would, he is looking at insurance options Woods are still made I believe, I can’t get an answer on the SA X-SD series. I did see some wheel set options from England, but without brakes.

Would a lefty hub or even a Hope pro 4 fat could work?? Any thoughts for reasonable rims and tires with an eye towards flotation? Sand, soft turf and to cushion the ride a bit.

Tryin to keep the chair as compact as possible. He is unsure on electric assist due to weight concerns.

I appreciate any expert thoughts on this,
Old 07-23-23, 08:03 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Interesting. Have you seen this web site?

https://www.invictusactive.com/fat-w...my-wheelchair/
Old 07-27-23, 07:30 AM
WC53

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did see those wheels. Not presently available, but the price was reasonable.

He is asking for some type of hand propulsion now….. so that is driving the hub choices and figuring out the freewheels. He tested a hand pedal trike and did not care for it. Looking at lever designs now. There are a few used levers, broken chairs on ebay, but parts seem unavailable for those designs and I am not sure I care for the brake design.

building the levers is straightforward, but the freewheel has me stumped other than putting them in levers rather than wheels. I am probably over thinking the coasting part and having the chain spinning.
Old 07-28-23, 08:29 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ferential.html

Found thread from 2017 talking about your problem especially differentials.
Likes For awac:
Old 07-28-23, 08:31 AM
awac

SAMAGAGA
Old 07-29-23, 10:47 AM
WC53

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, clearly my search skills need work.

I have found threads in other forums, but that is the first thread I have seen talking about differential usage and the different turning characteristics. I was thinking that dual freewheels would allow that. I have seen the CCW BMX freewheels from ACS, but the bmx config seemed to make everything more difficult, but it might end up being the easiest path.

I will read up on the differential vs freewheels more to better grasp the difference.

also found ths https://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11619751.html

But this appears to be apples and oranges to lever design.

Last edited by WC53; 07-29-23 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Add clarity
Likes For WC53: