Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot PKN-10 I think. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 07:54 PM
Arobint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot PKN-10 I think. . . .

Not really interested in what it's worth, cause I bet its not worth much, though I only paid $30, so probably more than that. more interested to know what year it is and if it's french or english bearings and bottom bracket, etc. Not included in the pics are the original wheels, which are Mavic Championnat du Monde glue-ons, with Spidel hubs. Any way to find tires for these? Are they practical in any way to use as riding tires? It is an 18 speed, which I have yet to find evidence of on the net. Any info much appreciated. The seat and handlebar tape is my touch.

https://s1132.photobucket.com/user/ar...ibrary/peugeot

Thanks for any suggestions or info!!
Old 05-19-13, 08:20 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
30 bucks = big bargain for that classic (Early 80's) Peugeot that looks to be in very good condition! Heck!, even the old Reynolds tubing decals look intact. Looks like its just a bit dirty and should clean up great.. Maybe 200/250 bucks IMO, in most hot markets with buyers looking for a classic tourer from the continent.
The French components on the bike definitely places it at mid-level market, but then that's what most of what the French made was.
Only thing to watch out for are the Simplex components with Delrin plastic parts. They look a bit dried out in the pics (especially the Delrin retrofriction shifters) and might be just a few miles away from cracking apart. The bike is worth modding up to all metal Simplex components, so that should be an expected expense with this bike to keep it on the road for many more years.
The modern saddle looks definitely out of place on the bike, but if it works, it works!
Old 05-19-13, 08:28 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Nice find, worth 10 times what you paid.

1980 catalog.

https://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/s...5&title=PKN10E
Old 05-19-13, 08:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very nice bike; I used to own one. Reynolds 531 main triangle; the triple was not original but it is a stronglight crank. The parts should be mainly french but I dunno about the BB (I think higher end peugeot BBs were usu. Swiss). Also be careful before trying to pull off that crank as the french cranks take odd pullers (you'll have to ask around to figure out what sort of puller it takes). The wheels are tubies; yes you can find tubulars if you feel like gluing on fresh tires. I don't think they are all that practical to use since if you flat you have to replace the entire tubular (patching them is no fun) but others might feel differently.
Old 05-20-13, 07:54 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Decal style indicates very late 1970s to very early 1980s. The serial number will tell us the exact year. As to the model, I suspect it may be foreign, given the tubular wheelset in conjunction with what appears to be a Stronglight 99 BIS crankset. For instance the Canadian market offered two models based around the PKN10. The PK12 had a tubular wheelset while the PK13 had the Stronglight 99 BIS crankset. It could be a modified verion of either or even a different foreign model.

As noted, the Stronglight cranksets of this era require a dedicated puller. Tubulars tires are a matter of personal preference. Many prefer the lighter weight and more compliant ride, while others detest the typically higher cost, greater susceptibility to flats and greater installation and repair difficulty. Any LBS should be able to order the tires, while higher end LBS should have them in stock.

Edit: Canadian models of this era often have a decal or paper sticker with the model number on the chain stay. It looks like the model name is on the top tube.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-20-13 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 09:11 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
That's an amazing score at $30. The Stronglight triple is really cool, even if not original. Some people still ride tubulars (myself included) but they are definitely not for everyone. It's your choice. I'd at least get some fresh tires and glue them on for when you want to go fast
Old 05-27-13, 09:19 PM
Arobint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Decal style indicates very late 1970s to very early 1980s. The serial number will tell us the exact year. As to the model, I suspect it may be foreign, given the tubular wheelset in conjunction with what appears to be a Stronglight 99 BIS crankset. For instance the Canadian market offered two models based around the PKN10. The PK12 had a tubular wheelset while the PK13 had the Stronglight 99 BIS crankset. It could be a modified verion of either or even a different foreign model.

As noted, the Stronglight cranksets of this era require a dedicated puller. Tubulars tires are a matter of personal preference. Many prefer the lighter weight and more compliant ride, while others detest the typically higher cost, greater susceptibility to flats and greater installation and repair difficulty. Any LBS should be able to order the tires, while higher end LBS should have them in stock.

Edit: Canadian models of this era often have a decal or paper sticker with the model number on the chain stay. It looks like the model name is on the top tube.
I checked for the paper decal, no sign of one. And the serial number is partially hidden by the plastic gear shifter router underneath the bb. I can only make out '83' or 'B3', not sure which. Does that plastic bit come off easily? I have a set of clinchers that are not original, so I've bought some tubulars to go on the original rims, and I'm gonna try them out!
Thanks for all the tips and info!
Old 05-28-13, 05:43 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Stronglight cranks may or may not require a dedicated puller. Around that time, they switched over to the more standard 22 by 1 puller. The cranks are labeled Peugeot, so they prolly take a standard puller.

Looks like your downtube shifters are retrofrictions. Worth the price of the bike alone.

As to threading, you're just gonna have to open it up and find out; it's in one of those transitional periods. Headset should be French with that decal scheme. Bottom bracket is either Swiss or French.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 05-28-13, 05:45 AM
T-Mar

You don't have to go any further. That's enough to tell me that it made in 1983. While a 1984 model built in late 1983 is also a possibility, it is unlikely as 1984 is the year Peugeot replaced Reynolds 531 with Reynolds 501 on their mid-range models in most, if not all, markets. BY the way, we never did find out if you were located in the USA, Canada or some other, foreign market?
Old 06-03-13, 05:48 AM
Arobint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
You don't have to go any further. That's enough to tell me that it made in 1983. While a 1984 model built in late 1983 is also a possibility, it is unlikely as 1984 is the year Peugeot replaced Reynolds 531 with Reynolds 501 on their mid-range models in most, if not all, markets. BY the way, we never did find out if you were located in the USA, Canada or some other, foreign market?
Hi All, and thanks again. I am located in Canada.

Also someone mentioned the downtube shifters. One of them is cracked and will no longer shift, any idea where to get that original part? I replaced it with a shifter from another peugeot, which isn't nearly as nice.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-13, 06:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Arobint
...I am located in Canada...
Well, that settles it, it is a PK13 that has had the OEM wheelset swapped out or rebuilt to tubular.