Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A little drunk but mystified....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A little drunk but mystified....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 01:45 PM
highlyselassie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrom
Maybe the ladies want to give you a ride somewhere so that you could give them a ride
They made the assumption he owns a tandem?
Old 02-03-06, 01:45 PM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My love for cycling was once compared to "Hard core vegitarians, and hard core evangilst". He continued on with how they are always forcing their thoughts upon people. I replied with "When is the last time I road over to your house early on a Saturday morning, only to start telling you the good news of eating only Gu packs and riding bike?" All I got was "ummmmmmmmm".
Old 02-03-06, 01:57 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a current A&S thread (about a dooring scene from the new Pink Panther movie), someone quotes someone else defining as humor as a situation or story where the ending is completely counter to expectations. Your story does kind of fit this definition. These girls had met a male friend of a friend at the bar, and he seemed all nice and normal, but then when they all left, he got on a bike. Maybe not funny by itself, but combined with society's stereotypes about cyclists (not helped at all by a certain recent movie, no doubt), it just struck them as funny. Unfortunate, yes. Hurt your feelings, maybe. But I wouldn't take it personally. It could have happened to any of us. (Hey, if they thought you were cool up until that point, you're probably doing better than I would have! )

Last night, an SUV of young women passed me and cat-called. Then I passed them while they were waiting in a left-turn lane to get on the interstate, and one of them called out "You're so sexy!" I just yelled back "So are you!" (Best I could think of at the time.)
Old 02-03-06, 02:25 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
But I KNOW that someone out there feels my pain....please advise.
So let me see, you are complaining about three women offering you a ride**********

Excuse me, but perhaps there are worse problems in the world.

If they are cute, take them up on it. You never know what might come of it.

If you are not interested. Thank them for the offer and climb on your bike.

Yes, most car drivers can't imagine that it might be nicer to bike home. It's not in their world. So accept it for what it is, a kind gesture and deal with it.
Old 02-03-06, 02:27 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you might have missed out on a little sumpin sumpin'....
Old 02-03-06, 02:32 PM
highlyselassie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Stumpjumpers
Old 02-03-06, 03:14 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol indeedy
Old 02-03-06, 04:42 PM
lxpatterson

Bikes: Bianchi SL2 centuar custom, 85 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My girlfriend is completely behind the biking and coworkers have a similar respect for my daily rides. It was the girls at the bar I wanted to strangle, why are they so snobbish about cars?
well if they all had "fat asses that they complain about" as you put it, what do you care? cycling just saved you from a potential mistake with some swamp donkeys!
Old 02-03-06, 05:33 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
I have to agree. After a few drinks, it might have been prudent to ask who was going to be making breakfast for you.

That said, on a hot summer night I can't think of anything better than jumping on my trusty steed and weaving home at 2 a.m. It helps to burn some of the booze out of you. I get flack from my wife for riding home in the middle of the night, but that's it. There isn't much stigma around here for riding bikes. Calgary is the most physically active city in Canada, according to a variety of polls, and bike racks outside of bars are testament to that. There is a massive stigma surrounding drunk driving. You just can't do that ****. Drunk drivers are villified, outcast and generally not worth the time of day.
Old 02-03-06, 05:42 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having been nailed by one in Mtl, I concur. Hey do you still have that luge track in Calgary....I wanna try that ****.

What's the line?

"I hope you have a big trunk, cuz I'm puttin' my bike in there"
Old 02-03-06, 05:46 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
My girlfriend is completely behind the biking and coworkers have a similar respect for my daily rides. It was the girls at the bar I wanted to strangle, why are they so snobbish about cars?
Since they are not your girlfriend, they have no idea of the benefits she enjoys due to your regular workouts on the bike.

Plus they probably just saw "40 Year Old Virgin" and had a quick snicker wondering...
Old 02-03-06, 06:05 PM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Since they are not your girlfriend, they have no idea of the benefits she enjoys due to your regular workouts on the bike.

Plus they probably just saw "40 Year Old Virgin" and had a quick snicker wondering...
So maybe a good answer the next time an attractive woman laughs when she sees you're cycling: "I know what you're thinking, and no -- and I'm not anywhere close to 40 yet, either...."
Old 02-03-06, 06:28 PM
super-douper