Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB hardtail vs rear shock (department store price range)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-13-21, 11:21 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I used to have department store (Target) MTB that i used for 2 years until it got stolen, i used to ride casually in the city no complaints as of reliability.

Want to buy same because we have very bad roads here where i live and i am tired of going over bumps on the city bicycle.

Where i live its tough to find used MTB with built in rear shock, would i get equivalent suspension if i buy hard tail MTB and upgrade to seat post with shock compared with bicycle on picture?

Last edited by PimpMan; 05-13-21 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 02:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Bikes like that really don't have any good suspension it is designed to look cool and perform like a rotted potato. If you are finding rougher roads you probably want to add a Kinekt seatpost and get a bike made of quality materials and design and good reliable parts. Unless I am mountain biking or on some serious gravel or traveling quite fast like say on an E-bike I really don't want suspension front or rear. It will slow me down quite a bit bobbing up and down and a steel or titanium bike will give me enough comfort generally and if I need more Kinekt would add enough comfort for me or I could do a suspension stem instead or go with something from Specialized with FutureShock.
Old 05-14-21, 07:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Bikes like that really don't have any good suspension it is designed to look cool and perform like a rotted potato.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-14-21, 10:39 AM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I used to have department store (Target) MTB that i used for 2 years until it got stolen, i used to ride casually in the city no complaints as of reliability.

Want to buy same because we have very bad roads here where i live and i am tired of going over bumps on the city bicycle.

Where i live its tough to find used MTB with built in rear shock, would i get equivalent suspension if i buy hard tail MTB and upgrade to seat post with shock compared with bicycle on picture?
even the most entry level hardtail (even like a Cannondale trail 8)will feel better than that. The suspension on that bike is purely for looks. However, if you are just riding on the roads, I would really recommend a road bike. It is going to be a lot faster. Maybe just get out of the saddle a bit on the bumpy parts.
Old 05-14-21, 04:15 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Check out the Kevcentral channel on YouTube. He gives reviews on big box store bikes:
https://www.youtube.com/c/KevCentral/videos
Old 05-20-21, 02:48 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
In a department store bike you want the fewest moving parts possible. No suspension at all. Either no gears or just rear gears.
Old 05-21-21, 08:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
In a department store bike you want the fewest moving parts possible. No suspension at all. Either no gears or just rear gears.
Department store bikes make a good boat anchor.
Likes For prj71: