Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for help researching routes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Looking for help researching routes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 07:33 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
You could be right in your suspicions, but least these guys aren't reopening years old threads in order to post a link to some business with link that had only a tenuous relations ship to touring if any at all. So I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they start opening old threads to post links to yoga mat sellers or something. If it is a troll on their part it is a harmless (and pretty pointless) one so far.
yebbut....sure.....i know. just that over the years we've seen hundreds of threads where some new guy opens with some interesting problem, then waits a few days before coming back with the "solution", just $199.99+shipping! then there are the guys that log on to say "hey, lookit my tour/packing/gear video" with a link to his monetized youtuber channel, with embedded ads, links to sponsors, and of course a request to buy his t-shirt.

this guy could be for real, but, ummm.......hiring some dude to research warm showers hosts in northern pakistan? ....'cause he ain't got enough time during the covid lockdown to do it hisself? sure, why not, like anybody's gonna be flying off to the 'stans for holidays anytime in the near future.

has it really come to this? i miss squiggy.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 04-26-21, 07:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
yebbut....sure.....i know. just that over the years we've seen hundreds of threads where some new guy opens with some interesting problem, then waits a few days before coming back with the "solution", just $199.99+shipping! then there are the guys that log on to say "hey, lookit my tour/packing/gear video" with a link to his monetized youtuber channel, with embedded ads, links to sponsors, and of course a request to buy his t-shirt.

this guy could be for real, but, ummm.......hiring some dude to research warm showers hosts in northern pakistan? ....'cause he ain't got enough time during the covid lockdown to do it hisself? sure, why not, like anybody's gonna be flying off to the 'stans for holidays anytime in the near future.

has it really come to this? i miss squiggy.
I guess we will see. You are probably right. On the other hand I remember a few guys in years past who seemed like VERY obvious trolls who wound up actually going out and finishing long tours. I met a couple of them in person and actually hosted one. They raised way more red flags than these guys and at least one of them made it across the US and another made it half way carrying literally hundreds of pounds of god knows what on a complete POS bike before I lost track of him.
Old 04-26-21, 12:02 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
newguy with first post: hey, i wanna hire somebody.

newguy with five posts: hey, i know somebody. it's a secret but....

oldfart: what, me suspicious? i've heard google pays $9075 the first month, and i can get a new landrover......
I find a reply like this to be beyond ironic on a "Touring" forum. I ride my bike in strange and foreign places, something beyond the comprehension of most. I benefit greatly from meeting people who are open minded enough to be hospitable and friendly, even if they can't comprehend what I'm doing or why I'm doing it.

Touring with a "suspicious" mindset on the part of the local or a traveller would be a very different proposition.
Old 05-12-21, 06:23 PM
Turkey222

Bikes: Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sometimes seek highways for their better grade and to avoid the scarcity of businesses. Its also easier to navigate allowing me to avoid using my phone or pulling out maps.
Old 05-30-21, 07:58 AM
Dima Kozhanovsk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helo! i am going to make tour across all Europe! i am needing in some advices ! i am from Belarus and can help everyone with trips across Russia Belarus and Ukraine !