Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any reason NOT to tour in roadie kit?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 05:04 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I mean I already have the jerseys and bib shorts. I've already ridden in them for over 4,300 miles this year including much further distances in a day than I'll do on this tour.

Weather permitting, is there any reason not to wear the same cycling clothing on a 4-day, self-supported ~250 mile tour on a loaded touring bike?
Old 11-03-15, 05:11 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You definitely need some type of cycling short to ride that distance comfortably. And you also need something to change into so that you can walk around afterwards, and occasionally rinse out/wash your riding gear. So why buy something else?
Old 11-03-15, 05:13 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesRL
So why buy something else?
That's what I was thinking. Why invest in tour specific riding gear if I already have road kits?
Old 11-03-15, 05:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When I tour, I wear cycling shorts ... black, padded, spandex "roadie" (I guess) cycling shorts. I do carry something else with me like basketball shorts or capris to wear over them for when I stop at a café or something.

I used to wear jerseys too, but can't be bothered with them. A set of wicking Ts suits me better.

But there's nothing wrong with wearing roadie kit, and I'm not quite sure what "tour specific riding gear" would be.
Old 11-03-15, 05:21 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can think of one reason not to...so that you don't look like a tool because you shelled out $80+ to wear someone else's advertising. Shouldn't they be paying YOU to wear it?
Old 11-03-15, 05:23 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
is there any reason not to wear the same cycling clothing on a 4-day, self-supported ~250 mile tour on a loaded touring bike?
The "same" kit?
Other than saddle sores and a powerful reek?
Clean shorts/jersey at least daily, this is easy to do w/ two pair. A dry/clean pair should packed in case of rain anyway.

-Bandera
Old 11-03-15, 05:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by urbanescapee
I can think of one reason not to...so that you don't look like a tool because you shelled out $80+ to wear someone else's advertising. Shouldn't they be paying YOU to wear it?
Not all roadie kit has "advertising" ... in fact, most doesn't.
Old 11-03-15, 05:26 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of my roadie gear has advertising on it, unless you count the manufacturer's name.

But seriously why would you care about someone else's personal choices if it does you no harm?
Old 11-03-15, 05:27 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not quite sure what "tour specific riding gear" would be.
https://www.adventurecycling.org/cycl...store/apparel/
Old 11-03-15, 05:29 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesRL
None of my roadie gear has advertising on it, unless you count the manufacturer's name.
Neither does most of mine. Unless it is a cause or company I don't mind being associated with.
Old 11-03-15, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
I tour in road kits (vintage team jerseys dating back 20+ years minimum -- personal taste). I prefer this for easy washing and fast drying, and can't find any reason for NOT wearing them. However, pack a change so you can be more civilized when eating, or visiting places where lycra might be inappropriate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-03-15, 05:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like wearing a pair of black nylon shorts with pockets over my bike shorts when touring. Pockets are useful when walking around and you have a pair of regular shorts on when walking into a store, diner, etc. That's not a big deal but I like it. I also ditch the jerseys and use cool max t shirts. I own a bunch of them that I use as base layers in colder weather but they're pretty good for just general riding. It's a lot more efficient clothing wise to starting with a t shirt since you can layer with it more efficiently than you can with a jersey. What would you rather have as a base layer? Again not a huge deal but I like all my clothes to do double/triple duty so I carry as little clothing as possible.
Old 11-03-15, 05:33 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't really care, personally. I just think it's funny when I walk into a bike shop and see all those ridiculously expensive, heavily branded jerseys. I wonder to myself who the heck would wear that crap, and at that price. And then I go for a ride and I see answer to my wondering... The OP asked for opinions, I just gave mine.
Old 11-03-15, 05:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Pretty much none of that appeals to me .... except maybe the mesh backed gloves. If I could find a pair of those in blue, I'd be delighted!

I meant ... gel cycling shorts? No way! How uncomfortable. And a tight pink dress? I don't think so. The T-shirts are also 100% cotton which does not appeal at all.

Personally, this is the sort of thing I wear on tour.

Old 11-03-15, 05:42 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's basically what I'm wearing as well except a blank blue or gray jersey on top.

I do have a couple and other clothes to wear off the bike.

That's a good looking blue bike. I like blue touring bikes

I just didn't want to make investment in that Cyclosource type stuff just for the days that I have some extra bags on my bike.
Old 11-03-15, 05:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

That's basically what I'm wearing as well except a blank blue or gray jersey on top.

I do have a couple and other clothes to wear off the bike.

That's a good looking blue bike. I like blue touring bikes

I just didn't want to make investment in that Cyclosource type stuff just for the days that I have some extra bags on my bike.
Nice bike! I'm partial to blue too.

And I figure ... go with what you've got.
Old 11-03-15, 06:13 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is my cycling "kit". I like the plain white jersey in summer. However, I often ride in brightly colored T-shirts, but I really like having those 3 pockets. Wear what you have, no one will care, and you will be more visible.

Old 11-03-15, 06:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Around home I use bike shorts that do not have any pockets in them. But for touring, I prefer bike shorts and pants with pockets. I have both shorts and convertible long pants from Zoic. The convertible long pants were great on cool mornings, usually unzipped the legs around 10am.
Ether Shorts - New colors now available! | ZOIC Clothing
Black Market Convertible Cycling Pants | ZOIC Clothing

My complaints about the long pants - I had to take my shoes off to get the pant legs off, they did not have a zipper on the bottom to make it easier to get the pant legs off. Instead of using their button at the bottom to keep the leg out of the chain, I used a velcro strap and preferred that. But, other than that I am very happy with them. I had no complaints on their shorts - I use the shorts on trips in warmer weather.

I have a bunch of jerseys, usually bring a short sleeve one and maybe also a long sleeve one on a tour for the pockets. High visibility color, no text or advertising. For riding around home, I usually use high visibility tee shirts (cotton) that are sold to construction workers, I paid $5 each for the tee shirts.

And I carry a high visibility windbreaker for cycling.

I also carry some non-biking clothing, a yellow down vest, a bright orange polartec vest and a thin stocking cap that I can wear under a helmet.

My rain gear is not cycling specific, it is breathable camping rain gear. Except the helmet rain cover, that is cycling specific.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 11-04-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
What is the difference between tour specific gear and standard kit? I wear standard cycling gear most of the time and the only reason I tend not to wear bibs touring is for ease of relieving myself but aside from that cycling shorts, a jersey and a cycling cap are standard for me. I do tend to wear pocketed shorts over my cycling kit when touring but I might not do that all the time if I am not doing all road cycling.

As far as advertising on cycling gear, the only piece of have that does that is my Conti Bib shorts and that was because I worked at a Conti dealer, love Conti tires and got them for a decent price for some high quality bib shorts. Sure I wish they had paid me to wear them but honestly I got them cheaper than I would a Gore or Pearl Izumi kit and they are quite comfortable.
Old 11-04-15, 12:29 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I was sort of thinking of going with knickers and a cardigan next trip.
Old 11-04-15, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
smh. Seriously?
Old 11-04-15, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
So if ACA sells something that makes it "tour specific" and not meant for non-touring? What makes something like the Canari women's shorts or the Rudy project helmet "tour specific?" (Those are rhetorical questions.)

Just keep in mind that there are some people who think that you will not be a real touring cyclist unless you have duct tape holding your 30 y.o. panniers together and are wearing a Bell V-I Pro helmet from the 70s, plain, cotton t-shirt, baggy shorts and white, cotton tube socks. These same people believe that a having long beard and eating peanut butter and bananas is mandatory if you want to be the real McCoy. Anything else and you are nothing but a member of the establishment whose mind is controlled by your marketing puppet masters.
Old 11-04-15, 06:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Most of my bike clothes are in plain colors, but they are also my "roadie kit". I don't feel often the need to change clothes to eat in a restaurant, visit an attraction, or shop in a store. I might feel differently if I went into fancier restaurants in the evening more often. I tend to more often eat in restaurants mid day than in the evening and tend to more often choose diners, barbecue joints, taco joints, or sometimes bars, none of which I mind going to in my bike clothes. I generally find that I am pretty well accepted even in fairly nice places especially once they realize that I am on a multi week or multi month long distance bicycle tour.
Old 11-04-15, 06:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
This always cracks me up. it used to be a tiny "Levis" tag was the only brand-specific social cachet marker which was acceptable---now people pay big bucks to wear clothes with brand names in bigger-than-billboard fonts.

I don't think they look like tools, but I absolutely agree that if you want me to advertise your company, you need to pay me.

But then, I know I am sort of a dork, and no amount of currently "cool" clothing will hide that fact. I guess some folks really think that wearing big logos makes them "cool." In my case ... hopeless so why bother?

But really it's all just fads and fashion. Means nothing and people should wear whatever they want.

Brilliant marketing, though ... making customers pay to advertise.

And ... pretty much regardless of what I wear, once I enter any enclosed space after a long day in the hot sun on a bike ... I could wear a tuxedo; people would still probably find me objectionable. At least if I am in biking shorts people understand that it is exercise, not general bad hygiene.
Old 11-04-15, 06:52 AM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Black wool shorts, retro looking merino jersey, wool socks, merino sweater, cashmere tee shirt.

Wool takes a long time to develop stinky odors and is warm when wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.