Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike for 9 year old girl?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike for 9 year old girl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
^ Non-aero brakes with suicide levers added in? You dont see that on new bikes very often. Certainly addresses the individuality of cycling.
If it fits, it could do well enough to be a placeholder for a couple years.

I would probably spend $25 and buy some Tektro brake levers and replace what comes stock. The handlebar top shifter that are on the bike are lower end, but they shift well enough if you push in the proper place. Just an FYI in case shifting is tough for smaller hands.
Old 03-15-21, 11:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Reviving this thread to ask your thoughts on this bike for my 10 year old. I’d get the 26” version. This seems to be a good bike to hold him until he’s ready for a full size bike at a higher price point.
Save Up to 60% Off Bike Shop Quality Cruiser Bikes for Lil' Riders
​​​​​​​A bike for just a couple years use. I suppose it's decent. I was a little surprised to see the turkey legs too. (suicide levers). But better to have those than not, since likely the bike will be a tad big and they won't be in the proper position to use an STI. Plus decent STI's would add considerably to the price.

If you can't find a bike locally at a LBS or big box discount store then go for it.

And don't be afraid to start new threads. A lot of the old discussion just confuses who we answering. Many might miss the fact you ask a question and rekindle an old I said you said feud.
Old 03-15-21, 12:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Reviving this thread to ask your thoughts on this bike for my 10 year old. I’d get the 26” version. This seems to be a good bike to hold him until he’s ready for a full size bike at a higher price point.
Save Up to 60% Off Bike Shop Quality Cruiser Bikes for Lil' Riders
I think you'd be a lot happier with something like this. More modern technology, easier to adjust and maintain, and it will be worth something when your child grows out of it and you want to sell and upgrade.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized...AAAOSwAcdgTmdf

This one too, although the price is rather steep after you add in shipping. It's been on for a while, so maybe the seller will take a low offer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boys-Jamis-...0AAOSwgU5fs89d
Old 03-15-21, 01:24 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I like the Specialized. Not sure he can handle the STI shifter throw at his age. Is this a potential issue?
Old 03-15-21, 01:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I like the Specialized. Not sure he can handle the STI shifter throw at his age. Is this a potential issue?
Its a big issue due to hand size and strength. The right rear shifter is easier for young kids to adjust since the lever throw doesnt require as much strength.
I converted my youngest's road bike to flat bar as a result. Trigger shifters are way easier and she has the same ones on her mountainbike. 9sp trigger shifters and a flat bar are cheap too.
Old 03-15-21, 02:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Good point. My son doesn't like shifting STI or grip shifters, and just learned to suck it up when we started riding real hills. He still avoids shifting as much as possible though, which is funny because I'm probably too picky on my cadence and he notices that when riding on the tandem.

I suppose trigger shifters would be ideal, but then you might as well get a mountain bike and slap some skinny slicks on it.