Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 04-22-19, 07:08 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by revivalist
Bought a carbon sirrus with tons of accessories and a mechanics bike stand for $600. Not sure where the "extra grand" comes from.
sorry i thought these were 2 grand new
Old 04-22-19, 09:20 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
They often are. New carbon Sirrus are in the $1400-$2700 range, alloy $700-$1200. The previously-mentioned $600 figure for a carbon bike (with acc) is presumably a used bike.

- Mark
Old 04-23-19, 08:09 AM
revivalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
They often are. New carbon Sirrus are in the $1400-$2700 range, alloy $700-$1200. The previously-mentioned $600 figure for a carbon bike (with acc) is presumably a used bike.

- Mark
Yup, looked at new for a while then kept on CL for the longest waiting for the right bike. Really happy with the purchase.
Old 04-23-19, 09:28 AM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I just got a 2012 Sirrus - used from a bike shop. It is fun to ride again. The flat bars were not working so they got changed out for some Velo Orange Crazy bars. I am considering converting to drop bars and going for a more gravel/adventure bike. Unfortunately I do not have enough posts to put up a picture. I will when I get a chance.
Old 04-24-19, 03:02 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
2015 with 38" Compass Kool-aid tires:
Exactly which wheels do you have?
Old 04-24-19, 04:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Exactly which wheels do you have?
The rims say Axis and they came with the bike. That's all I know about them.

The tires are Compass Barlow Pass. (38mm x 700c).
Old 04-24-19, 04:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Seems silly to pay a grand extra for a light bike and then clamp cheap heavy racks on it
Depends whether you need a rack. You could make a similar argument for a water bottle, a Brooks saddle, etc.

My wife's Sirrus Carbon Comp weights about the same as my (lightish) steel bike (within a pound). It is not really a "light bike" to begin with.
Old 04-24-19, 05:46 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Well, you can always make an argument about extremes. In the car world, it's often bemused that hybrid drivers who drive fast don't get good gas mileage. Well, they probably get better mileage than if they were driving a regular car fast. I guess you can make the same corollary with bikes and weight, right? A light bike is heavier with bolt-ons. But it's lighter than a heavy bike with bolt-ons.
Old 04-26-19, 10:49 AM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Saw this at the turn yesterday.

That's a carbon sirrus with Roval CL64s I am guessing. Sweet.
Old 04-26-19, 11:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Saw this at the turn yesterday.

That's a carbon sirrus with Roval CL64s I am guessing. Sweet.
Where's the rack for his golf clubs??
Old 04-26-19, 12:05 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Derekve
Been searching online for a compatable rear rack (besides a Specialized brand one) for my v-brake Sirrus. Curious to see what others out there have on their bikes and what should work on mine. One on amazon I'm interested in is the Planet Bike Eco bike rack.
what did you go with?
Old 04-26-19, 08:52 PM
hijklr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden about 90 miles on my Sirrus X Comp Carbon (on my 8 week old hip replacement).
It's a fantastically fun and comfortable machine. My only gripe is the 18 point of engagement rear hub.
Old 04-27-19, 05:18 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what did you go with?
The Planet Bike Eco Rack. It is smaller than I thought, but it's not a major issue for me. Overall I like it. No issue fitting it Planet Bike fenders.
Old 04-28-19, 03:06 PM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
The Planet Bike Eco Rack. It is smaller than I thought, but it's not a major issue for me. Overall I like it. No issue fitting it Planet Bike fenders.
Thanks, any chance we can get a pic?
Old 04-28-19, 05:33 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, any chance we can get a pic?

Old 04-29-19, 09:06 AM
revivalist

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks!

I am really torn on which fenders to get .
Old 04-29-19, 10:45 AM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I am really torn on which fenders to get .
You're welcome!

I have the basic Planet Bike Full fenders. They are pretty basic and easy to mount (on my bike anways). What other fenders are you considering?
Old 04-29-19, 08:29 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
2016 Sirrus Elite, not a scratch on it and made from E5 aluminum, which they no longer offer. What a great bike. Love the fluorescent red decals underneath the clearcoat on the brushed aluminum. Hard to capture in pictures just how fluorescent red the decals are. I've recently swapped the old Specialized Wedgie bag for the smaller Mini Wedgie (shown) and the Specialized Espoir Sport reflect tires have been swapped for the identical non-reflective version. Also recently got rid of the plastic spoke protector/dork disk behind the cassette. This week both of the Specialized Stix Comp head/tail lights will be replaced with the newer Stix Elite models.

Likes For puma1552:
Old 04-30-19, 05:51 AM
hokiefyd 

That raw aluminum is a cool look.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-30-19, 02:10 PM
Jakespaar

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus X Comp Carbon & 1990's Diamondback Sorrento

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 Sirrus Carbon Comp X in purple

Originally Posted by markjenn
Here's my new 2019 Sirrus Carbon Comp X in purple
markjenn: That's a beautiful bike. I test road one on Saturday, and really liked it. Do you have any pics that show off the purple color any better? I can't tell the difference between the Black and the Purple on Specialized website, and this pic looks very black as well.
Old 04-30-19, 10:24 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakespaar
markjenn: That's a beautiful bike. I test road one on Saturday, and really liked it. Do you have any pics that show off the purple color any better? I can't tell the difference between the Black and the Purple on Specialized website, and this pic looks very black as well.
Sorry, I have a few more pictures but bike still looks black in them. You notice the purple only in direct sunlight and when the bike is really clean, otherwise it looks black.

Loving the bike but even after the shop refitted a new FS cover, I’m still getting odd clunking noises from the front end. Going to take it in and have them look at it.

- Mark
Old 05-01-19, 04:44 AM
hijklr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving the bike but even after the shop refitted a new FS cover, I’m still getting odd clunking noises from the front end. Going to take it in and have them look at it.

Mark,
There was a safety recall on the steerer tube collar which I believe was replaced after our bikes were originally assembled. Getting things back together correctly and removing play from the steering system requires an orderly and careful process which can't be rushed. I found the official instructions, per the recall, on how to reassemble the front end. It is somewhat tricky to remove the play in the steerer tube as there are two opposing preload screws which need to be unlocked and then tightened down in small alternating steps. Excess play could certainly be causing your "clunking". Also, there was no top spring installed in my future shock which made it feel mushy. After trying both the medium black, and light blue, I kept the blue installed and it feels nice. My future shock is working great and my front end feels solid with no clunking or looseness.
Kevin
Old 05-01-19, 11:38 AM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markjenn: I guess I'll just have to order one in purple to see how it looks.

I hope that you get that clunking noise fixed soon. Did you end up changing out the front sprocket, like you mentioned earlier? I had the same initial reaction when I saw that it had a 42 up front, but (if I end up purchasing an X Comp) I'll probably ride it first to see how I feel about the gearing.

I'm a little conflicted about what size to order, since these bikes tend to have a higher than usual standover height for their sizes. I seem to fit on a Medium about like kergin fits on a Large (see page 27 in this thread). Mediums are normally the correct size for me. I'm 5' 8", and I believe my legs are a little short proportionally (although I don't know how I'd verify that). On the Medium X Comp, however, I have no clearance between by body and the top tube. However, the rest of the fit feels correct. The shop doesn't have one in small, for comparison purposes, and I'm worried that I'd feel cramped riding a small. Since I can't order one just to check the fit, I'm leaning towards getting the Medium.

Last edited by Jakespaar; 05-06-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 12:48 PM
Jakespaar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kergin
Question for the thread: I'm gonna get a Sirrus Carbon Comp for commuting, but I'm unsure of what size I should take. I'm 5'10", which puts me on an L frame; however, the standover on that size is pretty bad (crotch hits the top tube). I tried a medium, but it felt kinda cramped while riding. Should I just do the medium and go with a longer stem?
I've got a similar quandary. I'm 5'8" and Medium's usually fit me. However, there is no clearance between me and the downtube on the Medium X Comp Carbon. But, the rest of the fit feels correct (thus the quandary). What size did you end up getting, and are you happy with that choice?
Old 05-01-19, 05:57 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
it seems like the sirrus runs a little big for it's size. if the top tube being up in your business is too uncomfortable, i'd go with the next size down. you can adjust the stem/replace with longer/shorter, and otherwise adjust the components to fit whichever frame size you get.

i have an older sirrus, a 2011 elite disc, and i'm 5'11 - i have a medium and probably wouldn't have rather a large. i don't mind getting friendly with the top tube, but the reach is kinda long on this bike as it is.

then again, i've converted mine to a drop bar bike, so that's going to mess with the fitment when it comes to reach and whatnot, so ymmv.

my elite disc was stock and super high mileage when i got it, so i've been slowly replacing/upgrading components as i'm able. i have a few more things in the works (higher volume tires, better calipers, shorter stem with more rise), but i'm pretty happy with this $150 craigslist rig!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.