Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

700x40 vs. 700x32

Old 07-11-13, 04:53 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
700x40 vs. 700x32

I know this should probably go in the Bike Mechanics forum (or the Hybrid forum), but I'm a Clyde and I wanted to give my friends here first shot at this.

My primary bike is a 2012 Diamondback Edgewood. It's a great bike and I guess the only thing I'd change is the frame size. It's just a weeeeee bit too big for me, but that's not what I'm posting about.

The bike came with Kenda 700x40 Komfort tires (see HERE for description). They're not bad tires, but I'd like to get something with a little less tread. Was looking at Performance Bike's online ad earlier and saw THESE.

They look just like what I'm looking for, but the size is 700x32. Would that size fit / work okay with my bike? I'll admit that when it comes to tires (except for fixing a flat), I'm completely clueless, especially sizing.

And help, tips and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 07-17-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-11-13, 05:08 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The bike shouldn't care. No clearance issues since you're going narrower, and you're not changing wheel diameter so your brake positions should be fine. The only question would be if the existing rims are a compatible width. The people at Performance should be able to tell you if you give them some info about the rims.
Old 07-11-13, 05:49 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
It'll be fine. There are only about 3 models of 700c rim that are too wide for a 32mm tire, they are very difficult to find and don't come stock on any bikes except for the Surly Krampus.
Old 07-11-13, 06:33 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by CraigB
The bike shouldn't care. No clearance issues since you're going narrower, and you're not changing wheel diameter so your brake positions should be fine. The only question would be if the existing rims are a compatible width. The people at Performance should be able to tell you if you give them some info about the rims.
The following is all Greek to me, but according to the Diamondback website, the rims are...."32h SSW700 Double Tunnel Alloy." I'll take this info along when I go to Performance in case they need it. Thanks for the input Craig, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
It'll be fine. There are only about 3 models of 700c rim that are too wide for a 32mm tire, they are very difficult to find and don't come stock on any bikes except for the Surly Krampus.
Well, that is encouraging information. Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Old 07-12-13, 11:23 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
They will probably fit OK; however something in a 700x35 might work better. At around the same price, Performance has Vittoria Randonneur Cross Tire tires on sale in 700x35. They look pretty smooth compared to the Kendas. Look for item Item #50-7430 .
Old 07-12-13, 12:23 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a point, the 40 vs 32 is the width and also the height is part of it too. The 32's will be narrower and likely a bit shorter and likely make the bike feel nimbler and a bit harsher riding compared to the 40's. Shouldn't be too drastic though. They should fit fine with that bike's rims.
Old 07-12-13, 06:17 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
32mm will be just fine on pretty much any rim/bike that will take a 40mm. You may notice a slight improvement in weight and rolling resistance (more due to the tread than the size) and slightly more road vibration. You may want to run your pressures a bit higher than you did with your 40s, but the ride should still be quite comfortable. Another tire you should look at is the Schwalbe Smart Sam. I have them on my multi-surface trail bike and really like them on pavement, gravel, and any relatively packed surface. They don't have what it takes for deep sand or mud though.
Old 07-17-13, 04:17 PM
Cyclist0084

Well, I decided to go with the Forte Metro-K (Forte Metro-K) 700x35c tires. I've only done one ride on them so far, but they seem like like nice tires. Pretty much just as smooth as as my 700x40c Komfort tires. Don't know about any speed increase due to lower rolling resistance because I ws just riding around the neighborhood to get a feel for them, so I wasn't tracking the ride in any way.

Probably do a good ride in the morning. That should give me an idea if there's any speed increase and/or how comfortable/uncomfortable my rides will now be with these new tires.

Old 07-22-13, 07:26 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Well, I decided to go with the Forte Metro-K (Forte Metro-K) 700x35c tires. I've only done one ride on them so far, but they seem like like nice tires. Pretty much just as smooth as as my 700x40c Komfort tires. Don't know about any speed increase due to lower rolling resistance because I ws just riding around the neighborhood to get a feel for them, so I wasn't tracking the ride in any way.

Probably do a good ride in the morning. That should give me an idea if there's any speed increase and/or how comfortable/uncomfortable my rides will now be with these new tires.

Well, I don't think these tires are making me any faster, but my ride is definitely more quiet. I'm really glad I went with these tires. I should have gone and got me another set yesterday while Performance had their 20% off of everything but bikes sale going on. Oh well, I'm sure they will be on sale again at some future time.

Old 07-22-13, 07:41 AM
Hairy Hands

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your looking for faster rolling tires the width is not the issue, its more to do with the sidewall casing and tread compound the manufacturer chooses. Vittoria Rando Hypers are one of the faster rolling tires in a 35mm, but the fastest I've found is the Grand Bois Extra Léger Tires in 32mm. These are in clincher not tubular and of course tread or no tread does not affect rolling resistance unless its a cross type tire.

Depending on how big a Clyde you are will determine how wide a tire you need. You can probably ride a 23 pumped up to 200psi but the wider 42mm tire will be much more comfortable at 35 psi. And again width vs a fast tire are different issues. One is for comfort and one is for speed. You need to find a good comprise between the two.
Old 07-22-13, 06:41 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
I know this should probably go in the Bike Mechanics forum (or the Hybrid forum), but I'm a Clyde and I wanted to give my friends here first shot at this. My primary bike is a 2012 Diamondback Edgewood. It's a great bike and I guess the only thing I'd change is the frame size. It's just a weeeeee bit too big for me, but that's not what I'm posting about. The bike came with Kenda 700x40 Komfort tires (see HERE for description). They're not bad tires, but I'd like to get something with a little less tread. Was looking at Performance Bike's online ad earlier and saw THESE. They look just like what I'm looking for, but the size is 700x32. Would that size fit / work okay with my bike? I'll admit that when it comes to tires (except for fixing a flat), I'm completely clueless, especially sizing.

And help, tips and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On same site, try the 700C x 35's. Here are two, both of which look right for your needs:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...5343%2C1069778

/k
Old 07-22-13, 07:51 PM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy Hands
If your looking for faster rolling tires the width is not the issue, its more to do with the sidewall casing and tread compound the manufacturer chooses. Vittoria Rando Hypers are one of the faster rolling tires in a 35mm, but the fastest I've found is the Grand Bois Extra Léger Tires in 32mm. These are in clincher not tubular and of course tread or no tread does not affect rolling resistance unless its a cross type tire.

Depending on how big a Clyde you are will determine how wide a tire you need. You can probably ride a 23 pumped up to 200psi but the wider 42mm tire will be much more comfortable at 35 psi. And again width vs a fast tire are different issues. One is for comfort and one is for speed. You need to find a good comprise between the two.
I weigh 400 lbs and I alternate between 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Hypers (Now have a different name...Voyager?) and 40mm Schwalbe Duremes. I run the Vittorias at the full rated pressure of 90psi and the Duremes at 65/70 (front/back) where the max is 80psi. The Duremes are far more cushy and comfortable but the Hypers are way faster and sportier. If you are wanting a faster, sportier tire with less tread then I highly recommend the Vittorias. They come in 32mm, 35mm and 38mm sizes so there are options.
Old 07-22-13, 08:52 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went from 38c kenda kross tires to some 32c panaracer pasela's and I LOVE them... i'm still playing with pressure but they seem to be a much faster tire and at $40 for the set they are a great deal... we'll see how longevity is but so far the only flats I've had are because of my stupidity and letting the rim tape slip... so no punctures
Old 07-23-13, 08:18 PM
pwomble

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX4, Cannondale Trail SL-2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I changed from 700x35 Kenda Happy Medium's my bike came with to 700x32 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's. I am very happy with the performance/speed increase and ride quality did not change really at all. I am 320 lbs and run the Marathon's at 85psi (95 max).