Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Inside Edition tonight ~ "Are Bikers out of Control'

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Inside Edition tonight ~ "Are Bikers out of Control'

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 02:39 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VTBike
Do you mean taking over a portion of the road, are do you mean that some roads entirely will be given over - or something else?
both and in between: bike lane/cycletrack/separated path/bikestreet/car-light mixed areas/pedestrian-only areas etc.
Old 10-03-14, 02:47 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Her comment was that if we really want cars to be conditioned to look out for bicycles on the road, building bike lanes is a great way to do it.
Ironically, most of the criticism of bike lanes in Portland comes from advocates of separated infrastructure, not VCers. In fact, every self-described VCer I know is in favor of DZ-free bike lanes.
Old 10-03-14, 03:06 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dru_
Occupying a lane 'because you can' is selfish and disrespectful, especially when another alternative exists.
I completely disagree. I am more than capable of riding at or near the speed limit on most of my commute so I simply ride in the lane regardless of the presence or absence of a bike facility. Despite riding in the lane ~90% of the time, I almost never experience conflict with motorists. If I am riding slower than prevailing speeds I generally use a bike facility or move over to the right (as is courteous). If it's unsafe to ride on the right I control the lane by riding on the left side (or right side of a one way). When I ride with my better half or with friends I gladly use bike facilities and when there is a facility that accommodates faster cycling I gladly use it.
Old 10-03-14, 03:10 PM
dru_

Bikes: Fuji Absolute, Cannondale CAAD10, Orbea Ordu m-30, Cannondale Jeckyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I completely disagree. I am more than capable of riding at or near the speed limit on most of my commute so I simply ride in the lane regardless of the presence or absence of a bike facility. Despite riding in the lane ~90% of the time, I almost never experience conflict with motorists. If I am riding slower than prevailing speeds I generally use a bike facility or move over to the right (as is courteous). If it's unsafe to ride on the right I control the lane by riding on the left side (or right side of a one way). When I ride with my better half or with friends I gladly use bike facilities and when there is a facility that accommodates faster cycling I gladly use it.
I would opinion that you are in fact being respectful, as you are not impeding traffic, and when you need to you do get out of the way.
Old 10-03-14, 03:10 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Huh? Unless you used a really small font, I'm trying to see where the letters "safe" were not cut by you.
(Click to make full size to see what I am referring to.)
Please examine the quote and note that it was not attributed to kickstart.

Also read this:

FTFY
Acronym for "fixed that for you."
Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone.
Old 10-03-14, 03:15 PM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So which is it?

one of the many reasons i generally cycle in lane is because i want to make travel by single occupancy motor vehicle inconvenient. its bad for our society, bad for human health, and bad for the planet as a whole
If I am riding slower than prevailing speeds I generally use a bike facility or move over to the right (as is courteous).
Old 10-03-14, 03:31 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So which is it?
i don't know how it is where you live but riding a bike in the main traffic lane is definitely considered to be "inconvenient" by many motorists. for example, many motorists feel the need to pass me even when i am riding at or above the speed limit. because i live in a city where motorists are accustomed to cyclists riding in lane they almost always pass safely...but it's still quite obvious that i am "inconvenient".
Old 10-03-14, 03:52 PM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i don't know how it is where you live but riding a bike in the main traffic lane is definitely considered to be "inconvenient" by many motorists. for example, many motorists feel the need to pass me even when i am riding at or above the speed limit. because i live in a city where motorists are accustomed to cyclists riding in lane they almost always pass safely...but it's still quite obvious that i am "inconvenient".
Right...
Old 10-03-14, 04:05 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
i thought you were referring to my quote of kickstart, not my ironic "fixed it for you" comment. the huge period was meant to communicate that cycling advocates should focus on cycling *PERIOD*. (as a cycling advocate i really don't spend much time thinking about how to make our roads more efficient for motorists.)
Well since safety and efficiency go hand in hand in the real world, and you believe that the majority of people don't deserve safe efficient roads, I don't see how you can expect any positive changes at all.....or if you actually want them.
Old 10-03-14, 04:09 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Well since safety and efficiency go hand in hand in the real world, and you believe that the majority of people don't deserve safe efficient roads, I don't see how you can expect any positive changes at all.....or if you actually want them.
slower speeds and road diets are both safer and less efficient.
just sayin'
Old 10-03-14, 04:24 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
slower speeds and road diets are both safer and less efficient.
just sayin'
Not necessarily. Road diets with added traffic circles, even with lower speed limits, tend to move more traffic volume than the same road at a higher speed limit with stop lights and stop signs that cause a start and stop flow, vice a smooth flow. The average speed of traffic goes up, instead of the race and squeal from stop to stop.
Old 10-03-14, 04:35 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Not necessarily. Road diets with added traffic circles, even with lower speed limits, tend to move more traffic volume than the same road at a higher speed limit with stop lights and stop signs that cause a start and stop flow, vice a smooth flow. The average speed of traffic goes up, instead of the race and squeal from stop to stop.
yeah...should have said "can be". lane reduction+turn lane also sometimes increases vehicle flow. still many, if not most, road diets modestly increase travel time during peak hours.
Old 10-03-14, 05:11 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
yeah...should have said "can be". lane reduction+turn lane also sometimes increases vehicle flow. still many, if not most, road diets modestly increase travel time during peak hours.
There's nothing wrong with those things where appropriate, but much of their effectiveness relies on displacing traffic elsewhere. In short, they don't make "roads" safer, they make a particular road safer.
Old 10-04-14, 09:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This subject needs some common sense and logic injected into both drivers and cyclist. Drivers need to realize that they need to share the road with cyclist. And that is especially true of cyclist that are commuting to work. Drivers should be thankful that some cyclist commute, since that frees up parking spaces. Cyclist OTOH need to be reasonable and logical about where the ride. If there is a MUP next to an heavy use arterial, they should be on the MUP. During early morning commutes, I doubt they will encounter that many walkers that slow them down much. Logic in this case says it is better to be a little slower on a MUP than being hit by a hot head driver. But again drivers need to understant that cyclist that commute may have no other alternate route to ride to work.

Cant we all just get along?
Old 10-04-14, 09:22 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
T If there is a MUP next to an heavy use arterial, they should be on the MUP. During early morning commutes, I doubt they will encounter that many walkers that slow them down much. Logic in this case says it is better to be a little slower on a MUP than being hit by a hot head driver. But again drivers need to understant that cyclist that commute may have no other alternate route to ride to work.

I avoid my local MUPs like the plague, I can deal with hot head motorists far better than the chaotic nature of peds and other cyclists on a MUP.
Old 10-04-14, 12:38 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This subject needs some common sense and logic injected into both drivers and cyclist. Drivers need to realize that they need to share the road with cyclist. And that is especially true of cyclist that are commuting to work. Drivers should be thankful that some cyclist commute, since that frees up parking spaces. Cyclist OTOH need to be reasonable and logical about where the ride. If there is a MUP next to an heavy use arterial, they should be on the MUP. During early morning commutes, I doubt they will encounter that many walkers that slow them down much. Logic in this case says it is better to be a little slower on a MUP than being hit by a hot head driver. But again drivers need to understant that cyclist that commute may have no other alternate route to ride to work.

That's it right there,

Give a little when you can, take a little when you must.
Old 10-04-14, 01:01 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I avoid my local MUPs like the plague, I can deal with hot head motorists far better than the chaotic nature of peds and other cyclists on a MUP.

You're perfectly capable of dealing with those peds and cyclists on MUTs, but you get frustrated with having to deal with their less than thoughtful behavior?
Motorists sometimes may feel the same about cyclists on public roads.....depending on their biases.....and actual cyclist behavior.
Old 10-04-14, 02:52 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If there is a MUP next to an heavy use arterial, they should be on the MUP. During early morning commutes, I doubt they will encounter that many walkers that slow them down much.
1. My cruising speed is far too fast for a MUP.
2. MUPs in PDX are major commute routes for people who walk or run to work. (More people commute to work by foot than by bike in PDX.)
3. The most direct and efficient routes are often arterials.
4. I think it's important for cyclists (who are willing) to ride on arterials because motorists need to understand that no urban road is off limits for cyclists.
5. The law in OR (and many other states) indicates that cyclists who ride at the "normal speed of traffic" are permitted to use the full vehicle lane.

Note: I am not arguing that cyclists who ride more slowly and/or cautiously shouldn’t use MUPs.

Logic in this case says it is better to be a little slower on a MUP than being hit by a hot head driver.
FUD. I have close to two hundred thousands miles riding in dense urban traffic and have never been injured by a "hot head driver".

Can't we all treat cycling as a legitimate form of transportation?

Last edited by spare_wheel; 10-04-14 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 03:57 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
1. My cruising speed is far too fast for a MUP.
2. MUPs in PDX are major commute routes for people who walk or run to work. (More people commute to work by foot than by bike in PDX.)
3. The most direct and efficient routes are often arterials.
4. I think it's important for cyclists (who are willing) to ride on arterials because motorists need to understand that no urban road is off limits for cyclists.
5. The law in OR (and many other states) indicates that cyclists who ride at the "normal speed of traffic" are permitted to use the full vehicle lane.

Note: I am not arguing that cyclists who ride more slowly and/or cautiously shouldn’t use MUPs.

FUD. I have close to two hundred thousands miles riding in dense urban traffic and have never been injured by a "hot head driver".

Can't we all treat cycling as a legitimate form of transportation?
Sure, we can, can everyone else?
Old 10-04-14, 04:10 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are you willing to give to get?
Old 10-04-14, 04:35 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Everything you stated in your post is perfectly reasonable and rational except for #4 which is ridicules.

Most of my commute is on arterials, but I make a conscious effort to minimize my negative impact on other road users whenever possible. A public road isn't the appropriate place to play games or make political statements, its simply irresponsible to do any less than our best.

Legitimacy can be won or lost through our actions, and the people we encounter when commuting are likely to be encountered by us on a regular basis.
Old 10-04-14, 04:46 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Legitimacy can be won or lost through our actions, and the people we encounter when commuting are likely to be encountered by us on a regular basis.
I have experienced this in a few places. With al positive results except in Vermont, where the same white caddy would buzz me every morning on Rt 4.
Here in Louisville, I have established a rapport with my morning commuters and they are all very decent to me. I use a very unique tail-light too, which I think helps let them know who is up ahead and are familiar with how Im going to behave in our stretch of road together. Theres lots to be said for consistency and familiarity.
Old 10-04-14, 05:22 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Everything you stated in your post is perfectly reasonable and rational except for #4 which is ridicules.

Most of my commute is on arterials, but I make a conscious effort to minimize my negative impact on other road users whenever possible. A public road isn't the appropriate place to play games or make political statements, its simply irresponsible to do any less than our best.

When I ride on arterials I typically ride at or near the speed limit (25 mph for most arterials) so how is my presence negative or irresponsible?

There is broad support for safer cycling infrastructure in Portland:

Portlanders disagree on bike infrastructure much less than you think - BikePortland.org
Old 10-04-14, 05:32 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Sure, we can, can everyone else?
And in Portland pretty much everyone else does. I'm shouted at at most every 2-3 years. I get close passed a few times a year. This is not an exaggeration -- almost every driver moves fully into the neighboring lane to pass. I've never had something thrown at me in Portland in 14 years of daily riding (mostly on arterials).
Old 10-04-14, 06:03 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
You're perfectly capable of dealing with those peds and cyclists on MUTs, but you get frustrated with having to deal with their less than thoughtful behavior?
Motorists sometimes may feel the same about cyclists on public roads.....depending on their biases.....and actual cyclist behavior.
I've rode on MUPs and on the roadway, as bad as some motorists are, there is more of a resemblance of order in their nature than with peds and cyclists on a MUP. On a MUP, peds and cyclists have even less situational awareness and randomness about them than motorists, even with all the distractions motorists have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.