Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Antifreeze oil??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Antifreeze oil??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 04:00 PM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Antifreeze oil??

How can I keep my chain and other parts like the derailleurs from freezing. Actually my chain hasn't frozen but the derailleur has.
Old 12-12-16, 04:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
What is freezing?
Do you bring your bike inside?

The answer will be lighter weight oils and greases. Your derailleur jockey wheels can probably be run dry, but you could also use a basic oil on them.

The chain should only freeze if wet. So... keep it lubed. I often lube my chain every day or two during the winter, but we get a lot more rain and less snow.
Old 12-12-16, 04:11 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Fully synthetic motor oil, a lighter one (0w30), is not expensive for a lifetime bike lubing amount of one litre. Or get a small oil bottle filled at a local car shop from their leftovers of new engine oil. Good for freezing temps.

Also, teflon based lubes (and greases for hubs) are good for deep sub zero temps.
Old 12-12-16, 04:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Having run a shop in Cleveland when the bike messenger craze was on the rise I saw a lot of frozen things (ice or rust). Frequent cleaning, keeping lube current, minimizing the temperature swings the bike sees were all vital. That last one few seem to talk about. But the more above and below freezing temp swings the bike goes through the more moisture will be drawn into the bike's internals. Frozen water (snow/ice, often laden with salt) melts and gets sucked in the parts (and frame) as they melt down. Andy.
Old 12-12-16, 09:54 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnn
How can I keep my chain and other parts like the derailleurs from freezing. Actually my chain hasn't frozen but the derailleur has.
Just shift a lot. Even when you don't need to, shift.
Old 12-13-16, 04:18 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Never heard of a chain freezing bad enough to cause a problem. The design and the forces involved makes them basically self-cleaning.
It's quite rare for a derailer to freeze, unless it gets seriously caked in ice.
Which can happen to the cassette too.
In which case lube won't help.
Derailer cables OTOH can freeze.
The trick here is to avoid build-up of ANYTHING in the housings.
Water is a given.
Doesn't take much to freeze a cable solid inside the housing.
Lube isn't much better.
Many lubes get stiffer/stickier in cold, and it doesn't take more than a few inches of engagement to overcome the force of the return springs.
Or the force a rider is comfortable putting into the shifter.

Rear derailers can usually be run full-length housings needing nothing more than a new cable set and some zip ties.
Or there are various "sealed" sets you can buy that work OK.
Front derailers tend to be less likely to freeze.

The pawls in the freewheel/hub can refuse to engage when it's cold.
Particularly if the unit has been somewhat enthusiastically greased at one time or another.
Some people flush and then dribble some light oil into it instead.
Some disassemble, clean, use grease on the bearings and either only a thin sheen on the pawls.
Or use a drop of (light) oil on the pawls.

Either way, when its below freezing, I do make a point of always leaving my bike in a reasonably generally rideable gear whenever I park it.
Old 12-13-16, 09:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The most common freezing issue I saw, when in Cleveland, with winter bikes was the freewheel locking up solid so the ability to coast was lost (as in the freewheel became a fixed gear). My shop was the closest one to the downtown area and I had a number of bike messengers that would stop in mid afternoon with a frozen freewheel. I had a classic steam radiator up front next to the door. It acted as a bike rack for narrow tired bikes. I would always suggest the rider park their bike either "in" the radiator or against it. the rider would come up to the counter and we'd talk about his problem ("can't coast"). I purposely was slow in my reply and verbal assessment and in a few minutes ask if I could look at their bike. Of course by then the heat from the radiator had melted the frozen water that had gotten inside the freewheel and the bike was "fixed".

The real solution was to remove the freewheel, flush out the insides with compressed air and solvent then lube it up. We had a Stein Grease Injector which we used frequently, during the winter Phil Ten. oil was used.

So we found that a lack of lube in the freewheel would sooner allow water to enter and in time freeze. Andy.
Old 12-13-16, 09:50 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'd guess you need less moisture in the derailer pivots and cables, more oil on the derailer, or maybe a lighter oil on the derailer. If you don't want to try a scattergun approach, you pretty much have to figure out what was causing the problem you observed before you can figure out how to fix it.
Old 12-13-16, 10:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Having run a shop in Cleveland when the bike messenger craze was on the rise I saw a lot of frozen things (ice or rust). Frequent cleaning, keeping lube current, minimizing the temperature swings the bike sees were all vital. That last one few seem to talk about. But the more above and below freezing temp swings the bike goes through the more moisture will be drawn into the bike's internals. Frozen water (snow/ice, often laden with salt) melts and gets sucked in the parts (and frame) as they melt down. Andy.
This ^^^

I ride temps down to -20F, I've had my freehub freeze up on me (not a lot of fun walking 3 miles). If we are talking strictly about freezing from cold: keep the bike in a cold place, or if it comes inside it needs to be inside long enough to thaw and dry before going back outside. Flush and re-grease hubs and BB in the fall - there are specialty greases, however fresh grease has worked for me. For the chain, I use T-9 (wax based lube, never had an issue freezing). For the derailleurs, I removed them on my old winter commuter - SS saves a lot of issues, if you have a dedicated winter bike... and if the derailleur freeze up while riding, enjoy the SS bike. My current winter bike is a Pugsley and the derailleurs on that bike have no issues with cold/snow/ice... I can shift no matter how much is built up on them.

IMG_20160408_101758035.jpg

IMG_20150121_075824_823-2.jpg
Old 12-13-16, 02:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@Andrew R Stewart, what is the bike messenger industry like in Cleveland and Rochester now? It's still big here in NYC. It has been since before I was born (in 1961).

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-13-16, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Tom- I can't talk about Cleveland as I've not lived there since 2000. But at that time it has retracted from the number of riders compared to a few years before. Currently in Rochester there are none that I now of. The shop, Full Moon Vista, was the closest to downtown till a couple of years ago (and was in downtown till 6 years ago) yet we never see messengers seeking service or saying hello. There is no talk among the urban hip that do shop with us (or that the young wrenches know) about messengering.

My understanding is that in today's world of email, fax and general agreement of accepting approvals electronically the need to proof and sign off on most docs is mostly gone. If a town has a lot of advertising or legal business this need still survives in the professional circles. If a town has a lot of small product delivery (think food) then messengering survives.

Although I have heard that many NYC messengers are no longer using human power only. The E bike has taken over. This is some of why some NY officials are so against the E Bike, they see the worst examples of use daily. Andy.
Old 12-13-16, 07:07 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Silicone lubes........ Water repelling.
Old 12-15-16, 03:07 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seldom freezes here, north of Seattle but it was the cables that froze in place. Maybe if I squirt pure alcohol in the housing that is facing upwards. I originally put Triflow in the housing, does it have oil as well as the PTFE? Or just distillate?

I used a torch to warm them up yesterday. I can't bring the bike inside, too small of a living space. The sun usually works by mid day.

I saw a video of some one cycling across the arctic and they had some kind of antifreeze in the chain oil, said the narrator. Possible every where. But I can't help but think that it would ruin the bike.
Old 12-15-16, 08:51 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnn
It seldom freezes here, north of Seattle but it was the cables that froze in place. Maybe if I squirt pure alcohol in the housing that is facing upwards. I originally put Triflow in the housing, does it have oil as well as the PTFE? Or just distillate?

I used a torch to warm them up yesterday. I can't bring the bike inside, too small of a living space. The sun usually works by mid day.

I saw a video of some one cycling across the arctic and they had some kind of antifreeze in the chain oil, said the narrator. Possible every where. But I can't help but think that it would ruin the bike.
Buy a bottle of lock de-icer from NAPA, et. al. Works quickly, and is not messy to store in a bag for use as you are going around.
Old 12-15-16, 10:43 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Buy a bottle of lock de-icer from NAPA, et. al. Works quickly, and is not messy to store in a bag for use as you are going around.
Is this a recommendation from experience?
Old 12-15-16, 11:24 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Is this a recommendation from experience?
Yes. By and large, it does the same thing for a lock that it would do for a cable, for the same reason(s).
Old 12-16-16, 11:34 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
FYI, bringing a cold bike into a warm room will allow condensation to form, which will freeze if you go back outside before it has had a chance to dry off...
Old 12-16-16, 12:51 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks that is a good idea

Originally Posted by wschruba
Old 12-18-16, 07:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@Andrew R Stewart, we have zillions of bike couriers in Manhattan. Most are still pedaling, but e-bikes are increasing in number. They are illegal, and I think the law is dumb. I suspect that few couriers carry documents now. Mostly, it's food. Some will pick up anything you want purchased for you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.