Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Bike Time - Would Like Input From The Collective Mind

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-17-19, 06:46 PM
Franc Franclin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Background: Late 50s male, 6'1” 200lbs, total knee replacement in December of 2017, always been active (tennis mostly, but that's off the table for now) and got back into cycling about 4-5 years ago. My bikes are both hybrids (we have a house in two states) – one is a '15 Trek FX 7.3, the other is a '16 or '17 Bianchi Torino. Both bikes have flats (as will my new bike), one has a 3x9 drivetrain the other is 3x8. Both have bar ends (what can I say, I like them).

I am ready to get something that's a little more comfortable for some longer distances mostly on patchy asphalt and the occasional gravel/dirt road or Rail Trail. The terrain where I will use this bike is not overly hilly. I realize I'm probably going to buy a dropbar bike.

I want to go through my LBS for my purchase. Here's what I am thinking about...

Bianchi Volpe

Breezer Doppler Team

Surly Midnight Special

***I'm not allowed to post URLs until I have 10 posts. Otherwise, there'd be links***

Any thoughts from the collective mind of BF are greatly appreciated. Anybody ride the Volpe? Right now that's the early favorite...

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-19, 06:22 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with bikes like the midnight special. Anything in the adventure road dropbar segment will give you a good balance of comfort and efficiency and versatility for mixed surfaces. As long as you look for tire clearances that support up to 50c, high stack heights, longish wheelbase,and triple gearing to handle hills, you will have a comfortable bike you can ride all day anywhere.
Old 04-18-19, 08:51 AM
Franc Franclin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-18-19, 08:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
It's hard to go wrong with bikes like the midnight special. Anything in the adventure road dropbar segment will give you a good balance of comfort and efficiency and versatility for mixed surfaces. As long as you look for tire clearances that support up to 50c, high stack heights, longish wheelbase,and triple gearing to handle hills, you will have a comfortable bike you can ride all day anywhere.
Agree with all of the above, though 50mm tires are pretty big -- Probably don't need tire clearance for more than 42mm or so, but that's a judgment call, really. Though wider tires will (at appropriately low pressures) be slightly more comfy.

Midnight Special in the right size would probably satisfy you, but you should have no illusions about speed - that's a relatively heavy bike. But hey, I spend a lot of time on an All City Space Horse (which you might also consider), which is heavy, and I love riding it!

Good luck with the process and decision.
Old 04-18-19, 09:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Volpe | Bianchi USA

https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/a...pler-team-plus

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/midnight_special
Old 04-18-19, 10:13 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Hard to argue with the Midnight Special. It's a well designed and practical bike. I'd likely just get that.

Lots of other options here for steel allroad bikes, depending on what your LBS carries.
Salsa Journeyman
Norco Search
Bombtrack Hook EXT
All-City Gorilla Monsoon

Note that these are all 650B bikes, so very on trend right now.
Old 04-18-19, 11:31 AM
Franc Franclin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the links, Maelochs... someday I'll have 10 posts and be all grown up!!! ( I can't even quote the links you provided)
Old 04-18-19, 11:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
All three seem well equipped for what you describe. They're at different ends of the same price point, with Surly at the top and Bianchi at the bottom. How much better is the performance for your use? Disc brakes are nice, but do you need them? Ride in the rain much? Or in muddy conditions? That might drive me away from rim brakes.

It appears that all three have mid-fork mounts for a front rack. That's a nice feature if you decide to do some touring or utility riding. Any would support fenders, although the Breezer supplies them. An easy add for the Volpe. Clearance might be tighter for the Surly, but I can't tell.

I'd ride any of the three. My daughter has a Volpe and it has worked well for her. It's a bit long in the top tube, which fits her well. Can you try them out before deciding? That might help you decide...
Old 04-18-19, 12:18 PM
Franc Franclin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
All three seem well equipped for what you describe. They're at different ends of the same price point, with Surly at the top and Bianchi at the bottom. How much better is the performance for your use? Disc brakes are nice, but do you need them? Ride in the rain much? Or in muddy conditions? That might drive me away from rim brakes.

It appears that all three have mid-fork mounts for a front rack. That's a nice feature if you decide to do some touring or utility riding. Any would support fenders, although the Breezer supplies them. An easy add for the Volpe. Clearance might be tighter for the Surly, but I can't tell.

I'd ride any of the three. My daughter has a Volpe and it has worked well for her. It's a bit long in the top tube, which fits her well. Can you try them out before deciding? That might help you decide...
You make a good point concerning the brakes. I don't ride much in foul weather so discs are not a priority, especially hydraulic discs. I am happy with the rim brakes on both my hybrids.

The LBS does not have any of these bikes in stock, so a test ride seems out of the question. I think I'm leaning towards the Volpe with possible upgrades to rims and tires.
Old 04-24-19, 05:59 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Franc Franclin

Breezer Doppler Team

!
I just bought one a couple of months ago and love it. I'm also 6'1" but have 20 more lbs than you. I've also have a few more years on you.

It's the first bike that I've owned with disk brakes and really like that they are fully hydraulic on the Team. I've already ridden it on a few gravel roads with mud where I would have walked my road bike or just turned around.

The 650bx47 tires are overkill; however, it will be easy enough to go to narrower tires when the originals wear out.

I appreciate the fenders although they do buzz a bit. I'd fitted my touring bike with plastic fenders and it made a difference on wet or dusty days. In fact the Doppler having fenders was one of the first things that caught my eye.

There is also the Breezer Doppler Pro for less money; however, I think the better components make the Team worth the extra money.

I don't have any experience with the other bikes that you mentioned, but I bet they are great bikes also.
Old 04-24-19, 07:52 PM
Franc Franclin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I just bought one a couple of months ago and love it. I'm also 6'1" but have 20 more lbs than you. I've also have a few more years on you.

It's the first bike that I've owned with disk brakes and really like that they are fully hydraulic on the Team. I've already ridden it on a few gravel roads with mud where I would have walked my road bike or just turned around.

The 650bx47 tires are overkill; however, it will be easy enough to go to narrower tires when the originals wear out.

I appreciate the fenders although they do buzz a bit. I'd fitted my touring bike with plastic fenders and it made a difference on wet or dusty days. In fact the Doppler having fenders was one of the first things that caught my eye.

There is also the Breezer Doppler Pro for less money; however, I think the better components make the Team worth the extra money.

I don't have any experience with the other bikes that you mentioned, but I bet they are great bikes also.

Thank you so much for your review of the Breezer. One of the first things that interested me about the Doppler Team was the WTB Horizon tires (same tire comes standard on the Midnight Special as well). Interesting that you say they are overkill.

What kind of pedals do you use? I've started using the Pedaling Innovations giant platform pedal and I have some overlap because of the way the foot sits on the pedal. If I go the Doppler route I'd probably have to go with another platform.
Old 04-25-19, 05:48 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Franc Franclin
Thank you so much for your review of the Breezer. One of the first things that interested me about the Doppler Team was the WTB Horizon tires (same tire comes standard on the Midnight Special as well). Interesting that you say they are overkill.

What kind of pedals do you use? I've started using the Pedaling Innovations giant platform pedal and I have some overlap because of the way the foot sits on the pedal. If I go the Doppler route I'd probably have to go with another platform.
The tires are just a little too big for what I usually ride on which is the relatively smooth Katy Trail in Missouri. I think something like 650b x 41 would fit my needs.

I use Crank Brothers Candy pedals. I have them on my touring bike also. I like that they are easy to clip in from either side of the pedal. Also the cleats work well in shoes that take recessed cleats such as touring or MTB shoes.
Old 04-25-19, 06:33 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Wait I got this one: buy exactly what I have, it is obviously the best!

But in all seriousness, just take each of them on a ride, and pick the one that feels the best to YOU. Equipment wise, I'd prefer the Volpe, but I like triples and don't have a love affair with 650.
Old 04-25-19, 07:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For what you are describing 42mm tires are easily all I think you will need or want, so I would not worry about a bike clearing more than that. I use 38s for exactly what you are describing. My bike (Soma Fog Cutter) will clear 42s, but unless I was going to be riding strictly dirt roads and some double track, I would not bother with anything over 38.

Of course, a lot of frames that clear up to 700cx42 also clear 650bx47.

There are a ton of “gravel” bikes out there which will fit the bill. All City Space horse is one that I like a lot (a good friend of mine got one).

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-25-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 05:26 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Have fun with your choice. I like all 3. Bianchi's are great bikes and it's the lowest price of the 3. Tiagra is a good groupset. That Doppler is really cool. Shimano 105 is a very good groupset. I guess the Surly would be my last choice. But that's just me. The downfall for you is none of the bikes are available to ride before you buy. THAT is not cool. Do your homework. Fit is everything.!!

If there is a Specialized dealer near by.?? They might have a Diverge in stock that you could ride before you buy. Lots of great bikes out there. Visit as many shops as you can. But even I would have a hard time setting that Doppler aside. Sweet bike. Put some 38c tires on it and be happy.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 04-26-19 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-19, 07:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
What is the max tire clearance on the Bianchi Volpe frame? It looks like it comes with 32s. Personally I would want bigger tires than that.
Old 04-27-19, 09:49 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Does your LBS sell Specialized?

If so, I'd buy a Diverge and call it a day.
Old 04-27-19, 11:56 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Volpe and get some top end tires to mount on it from beginning. Compass or Panracer Gravel King.
Simpler brakes are better.

You can't lose with any of your original choices.
Old 04-27-19, 03:55 PM
Franc Franclin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What is the max tire clearance on the Bianchi Volpe frame? It looks like it comes with 32s. Personally I would want bigger tires than that.
Bianchi website says there's clearance for 42's. It comes with 35mm tires.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Volpe and get some top end tires to mount on it from beginning. Compass or Panracer Gravel King.
Simpler brakes are better.

You can't lose with any of your original choices.
I was thinking of doing just that. I will not be riding on extreme gravel, mostly it's on bad, patchy asphalt. So I'm thinking about Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 40mm.