Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need flat handlebar advice

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need flat handlebar advice

Old 04-28-19, 06:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Hmm, time for a new pump! My Park floor pump has no problem with either valve type.

The diameter of a drop handlebar where brake levers mount is 23.8mm. The diameter of flat bars is 22.2. Your cyclocross inline levers probably have a 23.8mm clamp for drop bars, too big for the 22.2 of flat bars.

As far as cable pull, there are two kinds:

-Short pull: works with cantis, sidepulls, centerpulls, u-brakes, roller-cams, and "road"-labeled disc brakes.

-Long pull (aka "linear pull" or "direct pull"): works with V-brakes and "mtb"-labeled disc brakes.

Modern Campagnolo integrated brake/shift levers are short pull but have a slightly different cable pull ratio. They will work with any short pull brake but they will work better with Campagnolo-specific brakes. For example, Paul Components short pull disc brake is offered in a regular-short pull or Campagnolo-short pull version.
Will Sram 10s brifters pull the cantis appropriately? I'm guessing yes but want to confirm.
Old 04-28-19, 06:22 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Will Sram 10s brifters pull the cantis appropriately? I'm guessing yes but want to confirm.
Yep. All drop bar levers, unless they are explicitly labeled otherwise, are short pull and will work with cantis. The few exceptions are the long pull drop bar levers made by Cane Creek and Tektro, which were created for the cyclocross market when some cross racers started using long pull V brakes instead of short pull cantis.
Old 04-28-19, 07:12 PM
shoota 

Yep. All drop bar levers, unless they are explicitly labeled otherwise, are short pull and will work with cantis. The few exceptions are the long pull drop bar levers made by Cane Creek and Tektro, which were created for the cyclocross market when some cross racers started using long pull V brakes instead of short pull cantis.
Thanks!

In regards to BianchiGirl above, correct me if I'm wrong but don't flat bars significantly reduce the reach for a given stem length compared to drop bar levers? Nevermind the fact that flat bar brakes are also higher compared to old school drop bar levers that sit considerably below level with the tops of a drop bar. And don't also flat bar levers provide quite a bit more leverage/squeezing power than drop levers?
Old 04-28-19, 07:16 PM
TenGrainBread 

Flat bars do reduce the reach compared to a drop bar but the wider the flat bar, the longer the effective reach, because you are splaying your arms out further to reach the grips. Most good flat bars have at least a little sweep back which helps negate this effect. Either way you'd have to get really wide to make up for the 70-130mm of reach that most drop bars have.
Old 04-28-19, 07:52 PM
shoota 

Flat bars do reduce the reach compared to a drop bar but the wider the flat bar, the longer the effective reach, because you are splaying your arms out further to reach the grips. Most good flat bars have at least a little sweep back which helps negate this effect. Either way you'd have to get really wide to make up for the 70-130mm of reach that most drop bars have.
Agreed. What about increased pull strength. Cantis aren't exactly known for being good at stopping.
Old 04-28-19, 07:59 PM
TenGrainBread 

Agreed. What about increased pull strength. Cantis aren't exactly known for being good at stopping.
All things being equal, a flat bar lever should be no different from a drop bar lever. Any difference in leverage will mostly be in the ergonomics of the hand position.

If pulling drop bar levers from the hoods, you don't have that much leverage because you're moving the lever from near its pivot point. It's like using a long wrench but grabbing it near the jaws. Pulling the levers from the drops, on the other hand, gives you tons of leverage. On a flat bar, you are grabbing the whole length of the lever so you have good leverage.

Cantis can be very powerful if set up correctly. Some are easier to set up than others. There are more variables to adjust with a canti because you have the straddle cable position to consider. V brakes and sidepulls are usually easier to set up.
Old 04-28-19, 11:51 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Why not a swept back bar? Velo Orange and Soma have great options.
Old 04-29-19, 07:21 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jade408
Why not a swept back bar? Velo Orange and Soma have great options.
I'm not sure either of us want to sit that upright tbh.
Old 04-29-19, 08:38 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not sure either of us want to sit that upright tbh.
Level of uprightness is more of a function of where the bar is, and rise. You don’t have to mount the bar really high. The sweep is effective for shortening the top tube. Unless you have a small distance to deal with.

Sample new bike with swept back bars lower than seat: https://www.bikeconnection.net/produ...c-308259-1.htm
Old 04-29-19, 08:45 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
???

Cantilever brakes have more stopping power than anything except V brakes (which are cantilevers).

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-29-19, 08:48 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by jade408
Level of uprightness is more of a function of where the bar is, and rise. You don’t have to mount the bar really high. The sweep is effective for shortening the top tube. Unless you have a small distance to deal with.

Sample new bike with swept back bars lower than seat: https://www.bikeconnection.net/produ...c-308259-1.htm
I see uprightness as a function of reach. The top tube of this bike is short enough that I don't think a big sweep back is necessary.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
???

Cantilever brakes have more stopping power than anything except V brakes (which are cantilevers).
Not in my experience, or anyone that I've ever talked to about cantis... hmm.
Old 04-29-19, 09:41 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Not in my experience, or anyone that I've ever talked to about cantis... hmm.
Then they’re set up incorrectly.

Just thinking about it for a moment- why are bikes that are designed with a need for great stopping power (tandems and tourers) were/are generally designed with cantilevers?

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-29-19, 09:44 AM
shoota 

Then they’re set up incorrectly.

Just thinking about it for a moment- why are bikes that are designed with a need for great stopping power (tandems and tourers) were/are generally designed with cantilevers?
I've always wondered that. I figured fender clearance was a consideration.

Have you tried hydro discs? I can't imagine anything having better stopping power than those.
Old 04-29-19, 09:59 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I've always wondered that. I figured fender clearance was a consideration.

Have you tried hydro discs? I can't imagine anything having better stopping power than those.

I didn’t realize discs were a part of this conversation.

Point is cantilever brakes have better/more stopping power than than any single pivot sidepull, only dual pivot side pull and center pull brakes have nearly the same power.

If your cantilever brakes don’t stop better than your sidepull brakes, there’s something wrong with them.

Old 04-29-19, 10:00 AM
shoota 

I didn’t realize discs were a part of this conversation.

Point is cantilever brakes have better/more stopping power than than any single pivot sidepull, only dual pivot side pull and center pull brakes have nearly the same power.

If your cantilever brakes don’t stop better than your sidepull brakes, there’s something wrong with them.
Sorry, didn't mean to overstep my bounds. Once I get new brake pads I'll have a much better idea of stopping power on this bike.
Old 04-29-19, 10:14 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
IMHO and IME

Flat bars are good for mountain bikes, not that good for any thing else......the hand position is not natural anatomically. and they kill my wrists YMMV

I suggest going to some thing like the velo orrange tourist....it will give a more rearward rearch, tektro levers, and simply the shifting with thumb shifters ( all at velo orange)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-29-19, 10:37 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
IMHO and IME

Flat bars are good for mountain bikes, not that good for any thing else......the hand position is not natural anatomically. and they kill my wrists YMMV

I suggest going to some thing like the velo orrange tourist....it will give a more rearward rearch, tektro levers, and simply the shifting with thumb shifters ( all at velo orange)

My inclement-weather bike has a swept-back bar with nearly parallel grip sections, which is set a little below the saddle. It gives me a very comfortable hand position, with an overall riding position that's still mostly upright, but gives better weight distribution and more ability to stand on the pedals than a fully-upright bike
Old 04-29-19, 11:24 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
^^^^^^ Shows how widely human anatomy / physiology varies person to person. I've always found that in a further aft position, I have much LESS ability to stand on the pedals.
Old 04-29-19, 12:17 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^ Shows how widely human anatomy / physiology varies person to person. I've always found that in a further aft position, I have much LESS ability to stand on the pedals.
Yes, I agree with you. I was referring to the handlebar position. On a super-upright bike with very shallow angles and handlebar at-or-above saddle height, like my ANT or Raleigh Tourist, I find it extremely difficult to stand on the pedals, where on the bike pictured above, it's quite easy.

Old 04-29-19, 11:32 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Awesome thanks! I'll let you know.

Yeah she already mentioned her hesitation to use dt shifters and it's not even ridable yet...
I have used the Falcon friction thumb shifters in the past. I took off the rubber tips because they had a slight oder, but they are stupidly cheap and work well. Cables included! If they can fit with your cross brake levers then she never has to use the drops.

I also have a couple of steel cruiser style hanblebars. They have a bit more sweep to them than the one pictured above. Pm me if you are interested.
Old 04-29-19, 11:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Swept bars don't need to be upright. With the right stem length and height swept bars can offer a variety of hand positions, and a comfortable upright position or more aggressive aero position when needed. Flip the bars and try the path racer setup if you prefer a lower position. I did that last year for a couple of weeks but returned to the upright bar position.

Last year I switched my Univega hybrid to albatross bars and bar-end shifters. Best incarnation yet for that bike. It came with flat bars and thumb shifters. The flat bars were uncomfortable on longer rides and the thumb shifters broke. I switched to riser bars with a slight sweep and friction shifters, which were fine for a couple of years. But the Nitto albatross and bar-end shifters are keepers.

For standing to pedal, yup, it took a little practice. The balance is different if I'm holding the bar end grips, but my bike's top tube is fairly long and I added a 130mm horizontal road bike stem, which solved any minor balance problem.

To get more aero I lean into the forward curves of the albatross bar. And putting my hands over the brake clamps while standing to pedal feels pretty much like using my road bike hoods while standing to pedal -- no balance problems.
Old 04-30-19, 08:46 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I put an Origin 8 Space Bar Off Road 2 with Ergon grips on my Ogre and really like them. I'm not sure if they make them in anything but 31.8 clamp diameter though.
Old 04-30-19, 10:11 AM
merida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not understand this urge by some to try to make a race/road bike into a comfort cruiser. I find that a 130mm stem with a slight rise from a nineties mtb put a straight bar in a good position on a road bike. It will put the at bars about saddle hight or slightly over if the bike is of the correct size. Putting a short stem with a swept back bar on a short top tube road bike make no sense to me.