Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero Bar Recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero Bar Recommendations

Old 08-07-19, 08:49 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Aero Bar Recommendations

I own a 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc. I will be doing my first century at the beginning of September in Delaware, the Amish Country Bike Tour. The course is ridiculously flat; the 100-mile course has 937 feet of elevation change of its length as you can see here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/97652...bike-tour-2019.

I would like to buy a set of aero bars and buying them for this ride seems like a good enough excuse. I don't think I need anything fancy or expensive.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good, basic set of aero bars? I can get the basic Bontrager set at my Trek store where I got my bike: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black. Are there any aero bars you've particularly liked or that you would recommend that would also fit my bike?
Old 08-08-19, 06:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Maybe try something like the Zipp 70 or 110.

If you've never ridden with skis before, straight bars like the Bontrager ones you posted can be kind of hard to get used to - you kind of have to wrench your wrists to grip the bars. Getting something that angles up, like the Zipp, can be much easier to grip.

Also, make sure the event allows aerobars. Some events do not allow it for safety reasons.
Old 08-08-19, 07:20 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have never used aero bars before either, but was interested in giving it a try for long-distance rides, same as you. After doing some research, I ended up getting these Profile Design Supersonic Ergo 35c bars. They have a lot of adjustability and a bend that ultra-distance riders seem to prefer. I haven't even installed them yet, so I have no idea if I like them or not. Everything I have heard or read suggests that you won't like them if you can't get them adjusted for your fit preferences, and the less expensive ones don't seem to be as adjustable.
Old 08-08-19, 07:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I will second the recommendation for the Profile Supersonic Ergo, or something similar. Everyone is different, but I found the L-bend bars significantly more comfortable than the S-bend.

My setup is the bases and rests from a set of Shimano PRO Synop, with the alloy L-bend skis from Redshift-- almost identical bend to the Profile, just cheaper.

Redshift's new handlebar clamps are quick-release, so you just leave the bases on all the time and can use the bars only when you feel like it. If I were buying today, it would be these.

Old 08-08-19, 08:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Redshift's new handlebar clamps are quick-release, so you just leave the bases on all the time and can use the bars only when you feel like it. If I were buying today, it would be these.
Funny, I almost got the Redshifts, but ultimately decided that I didn't need the QR, the PD's have a little more setback & quite a bit more stack in the adjustable range, and they ended up being a little cheaper because I was already ordering some stuff from Rose.
Old 08-08-19, 08:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Which reminds me-- OP, you're gonna wanna get a set of bars ASAP if you intend to use them in less than a month. I would honestly say it took me 3 months to be able to get in the bars for more than 10 minutes at a time, and those 3 months were almost constant tweaking of bar angle, extension, saddle tilt, etc. It was basically like starting my bike fit from scratch.

When I impulse-bought my Synops on eBay, I didn't even take things like rest height or setback into consideration-- I just thought, "I'd like to try some aerobars" and placed a bid. The Synop are pretty much a pure race setup: the pads sit about an inch above the handlebar, the rests are carbon fiber, and the "pads" are basically synthetic leather with velcro on one side. So I got used to riding on that. Sure, it took several months to get used to both the position, and the different muscles recruited, but it's kinda second nature now. Sometimes it's just nice to have an extra place to put my hands.

All other things being equal, it's good for about 1.5mph. Don't work as hard but go faster? What's not to like?
Old 08-08-19, 09:09 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

It was basically like starting my bike fit from scratch.
Holy smokes, that saddle-to-bar drop! Talk about aero. I'd only be good for 30-40 miles on a setup like that. The bars are almost level with the saddle on my long-distance bikes.
Old 08-08-19, 07:47 PM
guachi

Thanks for the recommendations and tips. I'm not sure if the event allows aero bars but with the course so flat it seemed like the best scenario to use them, if allowed.

I have enough choices recommended without drowning in options.
Old 08-09-19, 01:10 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I own a 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc. I will be doing my first century at the beginning of September in Delaware, the Amish Country Bike Tour. The course is ridiculously flat; the 100-mile course has 937 feet of elevation change of its length as you can see here: https://ridewithgps.com/events/97652...bike-tour-2019.

I would like to buy a set of aero bars and buying them for this ride seems like a good enough excuse. I don't think I need anything fancy or expensive.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good, basic set of aero bars? bike?
Aren't aero bars generally discouraged if not outright banned in the typical group ride?
Old 08-09-19, 02:33 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Aren't aero bars generally discouraged if not outright banned in the typical group ride?
Yes
Old 08-09-19, 03:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Never seen an aero bar banned from an organized ride.

I’ve always liked the Profile AirStryke. The pads are spring loaded and flip up and out of the way when not in use.

Problem with aero bars is no brake and shifting ability while on the bar. So then your going to want to upgrade to Di2 to get the little shift buttons out on the bar ends. That’s a grand alone for Di2. Plus the aero bar.
Old 08-10-19, 12:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations and tips. I'm not sure if the event allows aero bars but with the course so flat it seemed like the best scenario to use them, if allowed.

I have enough choices recommended without drowning in options.
I don't think it's common for them to be banned in century rides. But smart to check. And some riders will avoid you because of them. It's just harder to control the bike in that position, making them a bad choice in a pack.
Old 08-10-19, 12:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Which reminds me-- OP, you're gonna wanna get a set of bars ASAP if you intend to use them in less than a month. I would honestly say it took me 3 months to be able to get in the bars for more than 10 minutes at a time, and those 3 months were almost constant tweaking of bar angle, extension, saddle tilt, etc. It was basically like starting my bike fit from scratch.

When I impulse-bought my Synops on eBay, I didn't even take things like rest height or setback into consideration-- I just thought, "I'd like to try some aerobars" and placed a bid. The Synop are pretty much a pure race setup: the pads sit about an inch above the handlebar, the rests are carbon fiber, and the "pads" are basically synthetic leather with velcro on one side. So I got used to riding on that. Sure, it took several months to get used to both the position, and the different muscles recruited, but it's kinda second nature now. Sometimes it's just nice to have an extra place to put my hands.

All other things being equal, it's good for about 1.5mph. Don't work as hard but go faster? What's not to like?
Those wheels look great on that bike. Not just how they match the frame and crank, they're exactly the right depth (visually) to complement the bike as a whole.
Old 08-10-19, 05:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Depends on the type of event. Eg. the GFNY series, they're disallowed. Something like RAGBRAI, they're allowed. Sometimes they should be banned.. think of rides with 5000+ riders (and as a social type of ride, very mixed bike skill sets) crammed together and the general safety issue.
Old 08-10-19, 06:21 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have a set of Profile Design Legacy ii aero bars. Fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to fit. I used them for my double century (handy for an extra position when needed), as well as local TTs. If you have narrow handlebars, they do have a bridge attachment, which is handy for lights if you're likely to be riding when lights are needed.
Old 08-10-19, 06:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
It took me one 10 mile ride to get used to them. Didn't need to adjust my saddle.

The "hard to control the bike" concern is overstated. It's not like when you install them you are automatically required to ride on them constantly. It's pretty simple: when you're in a group, stay off them.

I hope the Di2 comment was a joke. Again, if you're riding somewhere where you need to brake and shift a lot, probably don't need to be on them. For long flat stretches where you can see ahead, they're good.
Old 08-10-19, 07:25 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
https://www.tourdescottsdale.net/

Are tri-bikes and aerobars allowed?Aero-type and other similar auxiliary handlebars are prohibited; this includes tri-bikes with otherwise unremovable aerobars. Only bikes equipped with drop bars or flat bars will be allowed to ride in the event. This is for the safety of all riders.
Old 08-10-19, 07:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
https://www.tourdescottsdale.net/

Are tri-bikes and aerobars allowed?Aero-type and other similar auxiliary handlebars are prohibited; this includes tri-bikes with otherwise unremovable aerobars. Only bikes equipped with drop bars or flat bars will be allowed to ride in the event. This is for the safety of all riders.
Thought I'd take a look at the Tour de Tucson page since I'll be doing in November.. same thing. fwiw.. no e-assist bikes either.
Old 08-11-19, 10:15 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I tried my new aero bars today on a 60 mile ride. I spent a lot of time on the bars and my avg. speed on the bike was in the normal range for a solo ride of that distance, so they didn't make me a lot faster like I was hoping. They are nice for taking some weight off the hands and butt. Perhaps with more practice or longer rides I'll notice some speed increase. I spent some time fiddling with the set-up in the shop and didn't need to make any mid-ride adjustments. I've never used any other aero bars, so I don't have any basis for comparison, but I'm happy with the purchase so far. Very easy to set up and adjust, and they seem to be easy to remove when I need pack the bike for travel. I was expecting to have to put some risers on the bar, but I don't think I'll need to because the bars are already pretty high. My bike is set up for randonneuring, so the bars are pretty much level with the saddle. We'll see how it feels on a longer ride.
Old 08-13-19, 05:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I.

I hope the Di2 comment was a joke. d.
Oh, absolutely tongue in cheek.
Old 08-13-19, 06:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good, basic set of aero bars? I can get the basic Bontrager set at my Trek store where I got my bike: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black. Are there any aero bars you've particularly liked or that you would recommend that would also fit my bike?
I just hope you are planning on doing the ride solo, rather than in a pace line. In general, aero bars in a pace line make me very uneasy. A rider inexperienced with aero bars on a pace line? Seems like a very bad idea.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-13-19, 08:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Seldom banned, but often discouraged for good reasons.

Not really off-topic: Earlier in the summer I was riding an organized century . Probably there were a thousand or 1500 riders, and at the outset I went fast to make sure I would find myself away from the crowds and in a strong group. Sure enough, a group of a dozen soon coalesced and we were making excellent time. Up front was a guy, "Ted", who I've encountered before on other rides. He's a beast and he was doing all the pulling. Some guys behind him were talking about how "Ted" had pulled them for 97 miles of a fast century earlier in the year. But I didn't want to just to sit on somebody else's wheel for 100 miles, so I moved up front to contribute some pulls, and every time I did, "Ted" eased off and I ended up off the front. After doing this a couple of times, I asked him what was going on. He said, "I've got aero bars. I don't mind pulling, but it's not safe for me to draft. Either I'll pull or I'll ride alone."

I respected that. At some point later, I left that group and rode with some others who were willing to trade pulls.

My point (and I do have one) is this guy "Ted" is a very experienced rider and an ex-racer. He was not comfortable drafting with aero bars. A novice shouldn't try it.
Old 08-13-19, 08:26 PM
guachi

There's no indication this ride is some kind of race or even pretends to be a race. There are no timed segments or any indication there are pace lines of any kind.

In one picture from the event there is someone with aero bars in the picture.

Also, since you can leave when you want in the first hour you can do so without being stuck in a group.

So I'm hopeful I can use aero bars (though I'll have to check to be sure)
Old 08-13-19, 09:26 PM
MinnMan

There's no indication this ride is some kind of race or even pretends to be a race. There are no timed segments or any indication there are pace lines of any kind.

In one picture from the event there is someone with aero bars in the picture.

Also, since you can leave when you want in the first hour you can do so without being stuck in a group.

So I'm hopeful I can use aero bars (though I'll have to check to be sure)
That's good. I hope you have a good ride. However, I guarantee you that there will be pace lines, even though it is not a race. That's how people ride in groups because it greatly reduces the required effort.

Pace lines and tight groups of riders develop in these large events and you may have to actively avoid them. That's true whether there is a mass start or, as you describe, a staggered start. You catch up to a group or a group catches up to you, and you have to make the decision to separate yourself. That can be hard when sticking with the group makes the going easier.

Also, if your goal with the aero bars is increased speed, you may consider that being in a pace line without aero bars would almost certainly result in a faster century than going alone with them.

But if you don't have experience in pace lines, doing it in a disorganized group of strangers is not a good way to start.

Finally, as a general rule, doing something new and different on a long ride (changing your bike, changing your position, changing your kit, changing your nutrition, etc.) is usually a bad idea. Make sure that you get in some practice rides with your new setup before you go for the long ride.
Old 08-13-19, 09:43 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thought I'd take a look at the Tour de Tucson page since I'll be doing in November..
See you there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.