Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rivet Saddle Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rivet Saddle Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 01:49 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Rivet Saddle Question

Anyone own a Rivet leather saddle, more specifically a black one? The reason I ask is because I'm replacing my Brooks B17 which is almost the most comfortable saddle that I've found, at least for me that's the case. That is until I got a Berthoud which slightly beats out the Brooks in the comfort department. Have any of you Rivet owners experienced any bleeding of the saddle onto you cloths?

Over the winter months I was breaking in the Berthoud (black color) on a stationary bike I keep for maintaining some semblance of being fit during those winter months. The Berthoud has thicker leather and took/takes a longer time to break in but, for me, it ended up being more comfortable, particularly so after that break in time, compared to the Brooks. The Berthoud has one flaw I have never experienced with the Brooks. The black leather bleeds/rubs off on my clothes. If not for that I'd be replacing the Brooks with the Berthoud. Yeah, I guess I could wear black shorts or put some sort of cover over the Berthoud but I'd rather not. Also the only product I've used on the Berthoud (Brooks too for that matter) was Brooks Proofide back when I first got it. With the above in mind, I'm on a quest to find another leather saddle that maybe beats out the Berthoud for comfort or at least equals it.

Last edited by LesG; 08-13-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 08:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I use Brooks Professional Saddles and never had any problems with stains or anything. I have some old ones and one new B17 and no problem. I am not familiar with the Berthoud that you mention. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 08-14-19, 09:14 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
@LesG, have you contacted Rivet? I'm certain this is something they would want to know.
Old 08-14-19, 10:13 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I LOVE MY RIVETS!!!!!
I have a black Rivet Imogene on Effie which is my main bikepacking bike. I even run one on my road bike and my play mountain bike.
Once the tension is set right, it is good for several 100 mile days. I did make the mistake last year of increasing the tension just a bit and got a blister after 110 miles.
I cannot give any advice on the black dye coming out of it though as I wear black mountain biking "Baggy" shorts.
But as for the saddles, I've loved every one of them that I've had.

Now, my wife and I have Brooks B-17 Imperials on our mountain and road tandem bikes. To me, they are not quite as comfortable as the Rivets but I bought them out of Germany when the exchange rate was fantastic. My wife and I are getting ready to go to ride the Tour Divide in a couple of weeks and the Rivet Imogene will be put on the mountain tandem.

Debra with Rivet is great too.
Old 08-14-19, 11:17 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
@LesG, have you contacted Rivet? I'm certain this is something they would want to know.
Not having a Rivet I don't know if their black bleeds/rubs off or not although I guess I could contact them about any feedback/experience they might have about that... but I'd rather hear from actual consumers that own one. All I know is my Brooks never has bled and the Berthoud does. It's a darn shame about the Berthoud because, although the Brooks is comfortable, the Berthoud slightly beats it out in the comfort department. The reason (for me) that the Berthoud is a bit more comfortable is the Berthoud is pretty much flat from the nose to the back of the saddle but the Brooks has a rise where your sit bones are

bakerjw, I've read nothing but good about Rivet so your post further confirms that. You said you wear black shorts with your black Rivet so didn't know if it bled or not. Over the winter when I was breaking in the Berthoud, I had either very dark gray or black sweatpants on so didn't notice any bleeding. Then a few weeks ago, I hadn't been on my bike for a couple of days and it was raining so on the stationary bike I got (with the Berthoud on board). I was wearing light tan/beige shorts and after pedaling I had the two nicest black stripes located just off to the left and right of the "crack". My wife mused that I was getting so old I couldn't control myself anymore!
Old 08-14-19, 11:39 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Whoops, sorry @LesG, got confused; thought Berthoud was a Rivet model.

Have you contacted the mfr.?
Old 08-14-19, 01:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Yes, Korina, I was going to jump in on this point.

As far as Berthoud go, they make black saddles, brown saddles, and a black-brown mix, maybe called cork? Berthoud is in France and has a commercial website that is far more accessible now than it was several years ago.

Rivet is run out of California, and I'm sure the Head Rivetress Debra would know if her saddles tend to bleed color, and what problems the users have encountered. She's a very avid long-distance rider and certainly brings that experience into her products.

I'm curious about the reformulated Ideale saddle company in France, and how their products perform. I don't want to spend $400 for a saddle without some good feedback. But I'm predisposed, since one of my best saddles now is a 35+ year old Ideale 92.
Old 08-14-19, 10:17 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LesG
Anyone own a Rivet leather saddle, more specifically a black one?
Mine is about a year old. No bleeding noticed, but I don't typically wear white or tan shorts. The leather is thicker than a Brooks, takes a longer to break in. High quality imho.