Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you spend your money? Questions on cycling spending

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you spend your money? Questions on cycling spending

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 11:30 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnyrider56
I wonder if it's just that--increasing happiness. I understand that's important and it's important to me too. But there's a competing interest in not wasting thousands of dollars, if it's possible to avoid. Maybe it's irreconcilable..."can't take it with you on the way out" mentality versus minimalism and making do with the least amount of kit.

I'm feeling choice paralysis, and it's extremely upsetting.
IMO, no, you don't need to spend that kind of money on a frame. From my point of view, $2,000 plus money for a few accessories gets anyone into a quality bike that will put a smile on your face every time you ride it. And you will ride it. It's that good. You mentioned travel.... Spend 2 grand on the bike and 2 grand on traveling with your new bicycle and report back. I bet it will be a positive report.
Old 08-31-19, 11:47 PM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnyrider56
I'm feeling choice paralysis . . .
Between the extremes lies the path.
Old 09-01-19, 12:00 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
makes you happy, gives you joy whenever you ride it or just look at it
That's my definition of investment.....
Old 09-01-19, 06:51 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
That's my definition of investment.....
This sounds EXACTLY like how I feel when I look at my BH G7. Man I love that bike. Best investment I made, short of asking my wife to marry me.
Old 09-01-19, 07:39 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Granted I have a short commute, but I use a 1973 Schwinn Le Tour with a few upgraded components that I haven't spent more than $150 on. I'm not one worried about miles per gallon, but the smiles per gallon I get out of the bike is infinity.
Old 09-01-19, 07:47 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The most I ever spent on a manual bike was 325 quid, and that was in 1989 when that was a lot of money. But I didn't care. I was in love with it. I had my first part time job, so I could save up, and had never been allowed a bike like that before.

Since, well I don't think I've spent more than two day's wages - until my first e-bike.

I was smashed-up from a brutal car crash and it was my only hope of getting back on a bike. Within two miles I was in love again, and haven't looked back.

Now im back to full fitness but I still ride an e-bike. I spent over 2,000 pounds to build this to the state it's in now. It's the best thing I've ever owned, so it doesn't feel like it's cost me. It's certainly paid for itself since it allowed me to be car-free. Well, it provoked me to be..

So there's my insight into values.
Old 09-02-19, 09:32 AM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
For 4,000 I would buy 2 bikes.
One 25-28 mm wide tire carbon road bike (giant tcr) and one 35-45 mm wide tire carbon gravel bike (giant revolt or tcx).
A 2019 TCR and TCX can be had for under 4k with tax.
If I only wanted one bike I would buy the Revolt advanced 2 and a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels and 25 mm tires.
Likes For hefeweizen:
Old 09-05-19, 05:12 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Race entries for the next couple of years.
Old 09-05-19, 07:42 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
For 4,000 I would buy 2 bikes.
One 25-28 mm wide tire carbon road bike (giant tcr) and one 35-45 mm wide tire carbon gravel bike (giant revolt or tcx).
A 2019 TCR and TCX can be had for under 4k with tax.
If I only wanted one bike I would buy the Revolt advanced 2 and a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels and 25 mm tires.
For $4000 I could buy 30 - 40 vintage steel bikes off Craigslist which are my favorites aesthetically and more than I need performance wise and it would be an awesome variety for the remainder of my life.
Old 09-05-19, 09:38 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
We cyclists tend to be frugal. Often that means we feel the need to justify owning a 4- or 5-figure bike. We really don’t need to justify it — not to ourselves, our friends, co-workers, or strangers at the coffee shop. If the bike makes you happy, you’re getting your money’s worth.
However, being on a limited budget for cycling stuff, it’s necessary to have priorities. Start with a proper professional fit for the style of riding you like best. Buy shoes, saddles, and bibs that are seriously comfortable. Budget for a few sets of tires and consumables. Budget for your favorite local events.
After those necessities, you can spend the rest on whatever will make you happy. Weeklong tours, high end frame, travel races, fancy wheels, snazzy kits, and super light components are luxuries. If the luxury you’re drawn to most is a bespoke frame, get one. Email or call the various builders you’re considering to make sure that they understand your vision of the perfect bike. I know that I enjoy my fully custom bike more than my build-to-order bike. And I enjoy that one more than the “custom builds” on production frames. And I enjoy those more than my stock bikes. If it was in my budget, I’d replace all my bikes with fully custom ones.
Old 09-05-19, 09:52 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
The two upgrades that made the most noticeable difference in the ride were upgrading to cartridge bearing wheels and replacing the bottom bracket with a Phil Wood unit.
Tighter and more accurate bearings in the drivetrain really changed the feel of the bike. bk
Old 09-06-19, 03:37 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Most of my cycling expenses go into fuel - i.e. food and beer.
Old 09-06-19, 04:08 AM
Rajavel
Cycles in Coimbatore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cycling expenditure will not waste time and money

Cycling is genuinely the most important piece of product and good, low-impact workout that can be enjoyed by individuals of all ages, from young kids to older adults. Cycling is really the most important product piece and a good, low-impact workout that individuals of all ages, from young kids to older adults, can enjoy. It's a wonderful environmentally friendly way to enjoy
fun, fitness and the fresh air as well. Therefore, cycling expenditure will not waste time. Additionally buying quality cycles will last longer and no maintenance charge to spend, Therefore, cycling expenditure will not waste the time
Old 09-06-19, 09:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
1st full year of commuting, it was on tires & clothing
Old 09-07-19, 01:39 PM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I buy at my local bike coop; they have low prices, and I find them to be trustworthy.
Old 09-07-19, 01:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Take 3 or 4 weeks off. Fly to France or Italy or Spain or Tasmania, wherever suits your level of adventure. Buy or rent a bike. Ride from town to town, village to village. Eat great food, drink coffee and wine, stay in small places. Come home, ride what you have. Money well spent, no worries about obsolescence.

Stuff doesn't matter one bit.

But again that's what makes me happy. YMMV.
Old 09-07-19, 07:01 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Take 3 or 4 weeks off. Fly to France or Italy or Spain or Tasmania, wherever suits your level of adventure. Buy or rent a bike. Ride from town to town, village to village. Eat great food, drink coffee and wine, stay in small places. Come home, ride what you have. Money well spent, no worries about obsolescence.

Stuff doesn't matter one bit.

But again that's what makes me happy. YMMV.
Must be a bummer when you wake up.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-08-19, 07:49 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Tools. I spent more on tools than on any of the individual bikes I've had. Borne of a 1st and last experience trying to get a repair done at my LBS. Fleeced and cheated.
Old 09-08-19, 07:58 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I like wheels.
Old 09-08-19, 10:11 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Must be a bummer when you wake up.
Not sure what you're saying. I have woken up in some strange places, I suppose.

I could have a number of now obsolete high end bikes on the money I've spent on rides around the world. Instead I have slightly more obsolete bikes, and a number of unforgettable life changing experiences. That's what I suggest the OP consider doing with his thousands of dollars. But again, YMMV. Some people like stuff more than experiences.
Old 09-08-19, 12:34 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Not sure what you're saying. I have woken up in some strange places, I suppose.

I could have a number of now obsolete high end bikes on the money I've spent on rides around the world. Instead I have slightly more obsolete bikes, and a number of unforgettable life changing experiences. That's what I suggest the OP consider doing with his thousands of dollars. But again, YMMV. Some people like stuff more than experiences.
Basicly, the description you gave is a dream for many people.
Old 08-04-20, 01:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ the Dive Bar, 1 block from the Bike Shop, on Cold Beers ..

Old 08-04-20, 01:36 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm guessing that an IP address search by the Mods will identify this poster as a sock of the now infamous @DreamRider85. This particular troll posting is among his most ingenious. Kudos. Really...

NOTE: Now, of course, the Mods will delete my post, and tally more Faber College "double secret probation" points for my pointing that out. Copy it quickly. It's okay, though. Maybe I'll get banished...
Old 08-04-20, 01:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Sunnyrider56 : If you really "needed" a new custom frame, or anything else, you'd probably know it already - and you wouldn't ask for our advice on spending your money.
Old 08-04-20, 01:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So long as budget allows,

want > need

We don't need any of this. None of it. But satisfying wants is often where happiness comes from.
I'm not sure one can distinguish between "wants" and "needs." But to the extent anyone can do that, we should acknowledge that, here in the incredibly affluent 21st-century Western world, we satisfy those "needs" through socially-conditioned preferences and habits. And the very first of those socially-conditioned habits is that we tend to always spend more, on more stuff - whether or not we actually have the money. Hence my comment, in my post above this one: if you have to ask someone what you should buy next, then you really are just spending money for the sake of spending money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.