Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Moral Dilemma (Pic Heavy)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Moral Dilemma (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 10:38 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Put the stem down first so he doesn't kill himself !
Another C&V expert.

The stem is inserted almost 3 cm beyond the minimum insertion mark.
Old 09-09-09, 10:45 AM
red_hook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
because that is the rule around here
Understand the rule. I was suggesting that if we hadn't already crossed that line we were getting really close… the spirit if not the letter.

Not trying to be harsh and perfectly willing to be wrong. No offense intended.

I think it'd be a shame if the bike got parted but it'll make more as parts. I think that if its a hobby that generates some cash, OFG would take what I imagine is still a pretty substantial profit and leave the thing intact, see an extra value in that. If its a side business and maximizing profit is more important then it makes more sense to part it. Certainly a reasonable thing to do.
Old 09-09-09, 10:50 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by red_hook
Understand the rule. I was suggesting that if we hadn't already crossed that line we were getting really close… the spirit if not the letter.
I understand what you're saying, but...

We try to give the "benefit of the doubt", as this is a relatively collegial group, so under most circumstances, we observe the letter of the law. Also, it's real easy to read into practically any posting (any time anyone finds a neat bike for cheap) that the OP is fishing for a sale. Until we can crawl inside peoples' heads and know what their true motivation is, I'd rather avoid that.
Old 09-09-09, 11:04 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Red Hook,

No problem.
we are one of the more congenial forums here, were the 1st to have a dedicated for trade and WTB thread as well as the 1st to have a for sale subforum.
We try to keep it between the lines to avoid the wrath of the powers that be (me?).
Went to HS not far from you, up off Dekalb ave by Ft. Greene Park.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-09-09, 11:17 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Just to be perfectly clear...

The bike will be sold at some point, if someone here wants it, they know how to ask.

My intention in posting was multi-fold:

1) It's a pretty cool bike, even if not 'top of the line' and one usually doesn't see something over 30 years old in this sort of condition, so I guess I was showing off a pretty neat bike.

2) I was trying to make the point that sometimes, actually quite often, in the vintage bike world with production bikes, the parts have more value than the entire, complete bike. I believe that is the case in this example. For instance, I had never seen a Jubilee long cage derailleur before. Here's a short cage that I don't think is as nice:

https://cgi.ebay.com/HURET-JUBILEE-Re...d=p3286.c0.m14

3) I was trying to subtly let forum members know that it would soon be available. I have not advertised it for sale anywhere yet, nor posted pictures anywhere but here. I've had the bike for a few weeks. I have a regular customer who is looking for a bike for his GF, this may fit the bill. He is coming by later this week.

4) If I was trying to maximize profit, it would have been on the Bob List or in pieces by now. I flip bikes as a hobby in a college town. I'm retired with not much real income. Flipping pays the taxes and buys steel De Rosa's and Merckx's. Obviously, I would like to see the bike remain whole, but I'm not a tax deductible charity organization, either.

I'd also like to point out that I sell many dozens of bikes a year, and I don't think I've ever tried to hawk one here. I don't have a problem locally, and you guys & gals are mostly just as cheap as I am.

If folks are offended, let me know, and I'll have the thread deleted.

Last edited by Old Fat Guy; 09-09-09 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 09-09-09, 11:49 AM
red_hook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It felt a little grouchy even while I was posting it. Was chiming in on some of the back and forth from 27 to 35 or so. If it came across as too harsh, sorry 'bout that.

On the benefit of the doubt side, I tried to give an honest answer to what I assumed (and still assume) was an honest question. I'm sort of opposed to deleting anything and its mostly a good thread. Nice to see the bike, worth keeping it just for that.

I bid on a (much bigger) Jubile last year and watch the derailleurs go by with interest. Its worth more as parts. Can't say how much more, but I'd guess a couple hundred. But since that's the case, at some point they'll all just be parts. Parts and parts of parts.
Old 09-09-09, 11:56 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Originally Posted by miamijim
Hey, I'm just posting numbers I've read in this thread........and I've been updating my post as new info becomes available.

At the moment my parted out tallys at $620 excluding the crankset, brakes, BB and headset. In general I price f&F w/ headsets and BB's. The big question is can you get $620 for it as a complete bike? I'b throw in on Ebay with a 'Buy Now' fixed price format of $700. (you'll lose 10-13% in fees)
That seems more in the ballpark, Thanks Jim.
Old 09-09-09, 12:50 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Let's most certainly keep the thread. Very informative.

And, in this case, the question of whether to part out or not part out is a very good problem to have.
Old 09-09-09, 02:01 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
For the same reason you don't fart in church
I did eight years in a Catholic school (grades 1-8), and believe me- one of the funniest, amusing, and most satisfying things you could do as a juvenile miscreant was to float a SBD while being forced to sit still in church.

The more pews (no pun intended) you affected, the better.

You were lionized by your peers if you fired off a squeaker and the nuns couldn't track you down. That road was fraught with peril, though - the penguins played for keeps and the punishment was at once immediate and terrible.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 09-09-09 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 02:13 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That seems more in the ballpark, Thanks Jim.
I'll have to take your word for it on the value of the individual components, but I don't think a GJ can command that kind of price. If it did, I would be extremely surprised, even with the rise in prices we've seen over the past year. Sad, because I fall into the "keep it complete camp."

On the other hand, I have the same frameset in my size, just waiting to be built, and that RD is very intriguing.

Moral dilemmas indeed....
Old 09-09-09, 02:21 PM
lbear
just going for a ride...

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mistake when I posted. I took the thread title at face value. I really thought you had a "Moral Dilemma" not a "Financial Dilemma".
Old 09-09-09, 02:30 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I'll have to take your word for it on the value of the individual components, but I don't think a GJ can command that kind of price. If it did, I would be extremely surprised, even with the rise in prices we've seen over the past year

Prices are based on averages of Ebay completed listings and some of my recent experiences. Anyone with first hand pricing is more than welcome to correct my figures and fill in the ones I'm missing.
Old 09-09-09, 02:47 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Prices are based on averages of Ebay completed listings and some of my recent experiences. Anyone with first hand pricing is more than welcome to correct my figures and fill in the ones I'm missing.
I'm taking your word for it because I know you're familiar with these prices, and I'm not. I'm not really disputing the prices, I just don't know.

When it comes to the complete bike, my sense is a GJ would typically bring somewhere around $300. Anything above $400 would be surprising, and a price near the sum total of a parted bike just isn't realistic.

Another one bites the dust.
Old 09-09-09, 02:57 PM
m750rider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a month ago I sold a Ducati Monster that I had owned for many years for probably $500 - 800 less than I could have gotten had I parted it out. The bike was in perfect shape, it had some aftermarket mods that made it even that much better a bike (upgraded suspension, brakes, seat, etc), but not necessarily valued by everyone. I was very tempted to sell it in pieces but fortunately someone came along that appreciated what it was and I decided to sell. It did take some time to find the right buyer, and I even turned one down because it wasn't the right bike for that guy. Fortunately like you, I didn't "need" the money and was able to wait.

The reason I didn't want to part it out was the bike had a personality and a soul. Some things are designed and built to be strictly functional, some are designed to be a piece of art and built to be functional. The machines that combine great functionality and timeless design should be kept together if possible. I hate to see them disappear by being split apart. The Ducati was one of those (in fact it was in the MoMA show "The Art of the Motorcycle".)

If the bike you had were a wreck, rusted and in need of lots of work, it's a no brainer. Part it out.

I know very little about this model, but looking at the pictures, it looks great. I would really have a hard time selling it in pieces.
Old 09-09-09, 03:08 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I were in OFG's position, I would swap out that Brooks for an Ideale, sell (or use) the Brooks, put the correct red bar tape on it, and look for a buyer who appreciates the bike, with the caveat that OFG gets first right of refusal if/when the bike is sold again. That way, it doesn't just get sold on down the line to a flipper who would profit off OFG's decision not to strip and flip.
Old 09-09-09, 03:31 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I'm taking your word for it because I know you're familiar with these prices, and I'm not. I'm not really disputing the prices, I just don't know.

When it comes to the complete bike, my sense is a GJ would typically bring somewhere around $300. Anything above $400 would be surprising, and a price near the sum total of a parted bike just isn't realistic.
I agree with you. In this particular instance I'd say the parted out price will greatly exceed the complete bike price. There's only 1 way to find out!!!
Old 09-09-09, 09:20 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Its French, part it out and make sure you do it on Ebay with worldwide shipping option. The Japanese buyers love French stuff and a 52cm would probably fit one of them nicely. PART IT OUT. Well except for the Brooks Professional. I can find a nice home for that!

I looked at it in the flesh yesterday, and even though it is French this bike is gorgeous in person.
Old 09-10-09, 07:40 AM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm just really glad it's Not 58-59cm.

I'd have to hold up a gas station or something.
Old 09-10-09, 10:06 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by redneckwes
I'm just really glad it's Not 58-59cm.

I'd have to hold up a gas station or something.
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I can hear it now...what can I sell, what can I sell....
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-10-09, 10:18 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I don't know? Is it me or does the fork look bent? (no one loose their minds! it's just a joke! )
Beautiful bike, although I'd hate to see it parted it's not mine, you do what you please with it.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 09-10-09, 01:49 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Well, In spite of the passionate pleas of 'Keep it whole', the vast majority said strip it and make some real cash.

I'm a bit surprised.

I still have a local coming by this weekend to look at it. I made him an offer considerably under miamijim's realistic BIN price. If it doesn't sell locally, I will probably wait until Spring and give it one shot on eBay before it gets stripped. It should make a good fixie.
Old 09-10-09, 02:16 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
powder coat it.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-10-09, 02:21 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made him an offer considerably under miamijim's realistic BIN price.
I knew it!

You pretend to be all about the dollars, but in the end you just like bikes.

Jared

PS: And in my view, if you fight to get every penny out of every bike, it just becomes work. And you might as well get a real job.

OTOH, if when you find a special bike-- you sell it for a decent price to someone who appreciates it, then you make some good money, the buyer gets a nice bike, and everyone is happy.
Old 09-10-09, 02:37 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Is it too late to add a poll option to this thread that allows picking more than one option?

1. Keep it whole
2. Part it out
3. Offer it whole here first
4. Offer the parts here first
5. Decide to just keep it and then secretely offer it to me with free shipping and have that Michigan guy drop it off on his way home and say you'll trade for something I have even up.

You might have to edit that option #5 a bit though.

My vote would be to sell it whole if you are comfortable with what you can get for it, along with some reasonable assurance that the buyer won't strip it down and have the parts posted up for sale before you've gotten 3 miles down the road from dropping it off.

But if your funds are tight and you need some Masi money then I have no huge issue with it being parted out.

And with that I'll go back and read the rest of the replies between the third one and this one. 8-)

It really does look like a nice bike, and probably isn't my size anyway.
Old 09-10-09, 02:40 PM
red_hook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know that the majority was vast, but probably a majority anyway.

Seems like you're doing your best to keep it whole, can't ask for more than that.

When I was looking at these last year (in the 60+ size) seems to me they were running around $450-$500 on ebay. Never looked at the little ones. I was also figuring it'd be at least $650 as parts, maybe more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.