Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I cut my own Steerer tube...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-16-16, 05:11 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday, while staying home with a sick kid, I took the nap time opportunity to cut down my carbon steerer all by myself with a hack saw. Now I don't have a giant chest-impaler sticking up over my stem.

I believe I did a decent job, wore gloves and a mask, and cleaned up the cut with a file and sandpaper.

I put everything back together, and it all seems fine...bit if I never post here again, it's probably because I messed something up, and my steerer asploded on some steep descent...

That's all.. :-)
Old 12-16-16, 05:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Yesterday, while staying home with a sick kid, I took the nap time opportunity to cut down my carbon steerer all by myself with a hack saw. Now I don't have a giant chest-impaler sticking up over my stem.

I believe I did a decent job, wore gloves and a mask, and cleaned up the cut with a file and sandpaper.

I put everything back together, and it all seems fine...bit if I never post here again, it's probably because I messed something up, and my steerer asploded on some steep descent...

That's all.. :-)
Oh my god! You're gonna die!!!!!!!

(Someday, obviously. Probably not from this, though.)
Old 12-16-16, 05:26 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I built my last bike, I did everything but put the little star inside the tube. That scares me and I didn't want to buy the tool.
Old 12-18-16, 11:20 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Using a hose clamp for a guide it's almost impossible to screw up if you measure twice.
Old 12-18-16, 11:29 AM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Using a hose clamp for a guide it's almost impossible to screw up if you measure twice.
Actually, I measured once, and cut twice... :-)

(It was on purpose...I made a first test cut higher than I really wanted it to test out the cutting quality)
Old 12-18-16, 12:34 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I overcut my kids 1st carbon steer tube and had to look hard for low profile headset for it. Now my wife rides that bike. She likes putting he hands on the forearm rests so it worked out OK. I left mine with 2 cm of material. I was glad I did as I just raised the bars about 1 cm to get more aero and glad that was there. So now about 1cm sticking out the top - which is what I aim for on all the bikes now.
Old 12-18-16, 02:56 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You could've done this so much easier with this $15 (with discount) tool: Nashbar - Welcome!
Old 12-18-16, 02:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Kudos for your accomplishment. But seriously, why would this even be remarkable. It is one of the easiest tasks you will ever undertake with the bike. I always do mine. I only say this to encourage folks to not be afraid of this really simple job.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-18-16, 03:01 PM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Kudos for your accomplishment. But seriously, why would this even be remarkable. It is one of the easiest tasks you will ever undertake with the bike. I always do mine. I only say this to encourage folks to not be afraid of this really simple job.
True, as with other jobs, once you do it, you realize it's not a big deal...I used to feel the same way about truing wheels, greeting hubs, running cables/housing, etc...it sounded intimidating until I tried it. This was new to me, and I still don't feel like I understand the uniqueness of carbon, but it seemed straightforward enough.
Old 12-18-16, 03:03 PM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you mess up you may have ruined your fork, and that's definitively nerve racking. So it may be an easy job, a no-brainer in fact, but the first time you do it yourself is a water divider.
Old 12-18-16, 03:03 PM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
You could've done this so much easier with this $15 (with discount) tool: Nashbar - Welcome!
How do you get "so much easier" than marking a line and cutting it?

:-)

Actually, I realize this is a skill that takes practice, but my other hobby is woodworking, and I've been cutting dovetail joints by hand for a few years now, so I'm comfortable sawing without a guide.
Old 12-18-16, 03:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by 12strings
How do you get "so much easier" than marking a line and cutting it?

:-)

Actually, I realize this is a skill that takes practice, but my other hobby is woodworking, and I've been cutting dovetail joints by hand for a few years now, so I'm comfortable sawing without a guide.
Depending upon how anal retentive one is, a guide isn't really all that important for two reasons. First the cut surface doesn't support any stress; it has to clear the screw-on top cap so that pre-load can be applied to the bearings. Second, the cut surface is completely hidden, so aesthetics aren't an issue...unless you are Superman or just incredibly obsessive-compulsive. Sure a nice, straight, even cut is better than a crappy, wavy one, but it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference as long as the irregularities aren't comparable in size to the required clearance between the steerer and the cap.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-18-16, 03:50 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Depending upon how anal retentive one is, a guide isn't really all that important for two reasons. First the cut surface doesn't support any stress; it has to clear the screw-on top cap so that pre-load can be applied to the bearings. Second, the cut surface is completely hidden, so aesthetics aren't an issue...unless you are Superman or just incredibly obsessive-compulsive. Sure a nice, straight, even cut is better than a crappy, wavy one, but it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference as long as the irregularities aren't comparable in size to the required clearance between the steerer and the cap.
And better yet, nothing a spacer or two can't hide, so it really doesn't matter how nice or clean you cut it. But I am anal retentive, so it would bug the hell out of me even KNOWING the thing under the stem is cut like crap.
Old 12-18-16, 03:57 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
1 1/8" split shaft collar. Ebay. Two for $10.

(I personally have a couple 1 1/4collars. can stack rubber bands under them to get them to clamp enough to guide a hacksaw.)
Old 12-18-16, 07:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

And better yet, nothing a spacer or two can't hide, so it really doesn't matter how nice or clean you cut it. But I am anal retentive, so it would bug the hell out of me even KNOWING the thing under the stem is cut like crap.
Sure, I don't disagree. BTW though, the cut is hidden no matter whether you use spacers or not. By design the top of the steerer must be lower (inside) than the top of the closed column defined either by the stem opening or the spacers.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-19-16, 09:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
When I built my last bike, I did everything but put the little star inside the tube. That scares me and I didn't want to buy the tool.

Well it should if you have CF steerer. You don't want to use a star nut on a CF steerer.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-19-16, 09:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
not exactly text book, but I just use an old spacer. Set the bike up with the stem the height I want it, remove a spacer beneath the stem, replace that with an old spacer of the same height above the stem, plus a 2.5mm to 5mm spacer if you're going to run that height spacer above the stem, and cut against the old spacer as a template.

Comes out the length you want and you don't even have to take the fork off the bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-19-16, 10:01 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I'd love to watch some people here when they get a box of tubes, and need to cut the stays down to size.

Old 12-19-16, 11:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
not exactly text book, but I just use an old spacer. Set the bike up with the stem the height I want it, remove a spacer beneath the stem, replace that with an old spacer of the same height above the stem, plus a 2.5mm to 5mm spacer if you're going to run that height spacer above the stem, and cut against the old spacer as a template.

Comes out the length you want and you don't even have to take the fork off the bike.
I have also done it that way, but I do worry about the carbon dust gettting into the bearings. Heck, maybe that would be good, lubrication and all. But really, it isn't graphite and is probably better not in there. So I usually remove the fork. I do use a spare stem shielded by a spacer as the guide. And BTW I really like a Dremel tool with a cutter blade as the cutting tool. Beats a hacksaw all to hell.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-19-16, 12:24 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Well it should if you have CF steerer. You don't want to use a star nut on a CF steerer.
Not the OP so we don't know if it was CF since he doesn't say...
Old 12-21-16, 02:36 PM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Not the OP so we don't know if it was CF since he doesn't say...
1. It is a Carbon Steerer. So no star nut, just a compression plug...easy to work with.

2. Also, I DID cut it without removing it from the bike. I taped an old t-shirt around below the cut to shield the headset and rest of the bike from fall-out. I also plugged the steerer with a wad of sticky-side-out tape to catch what fell into the steerer. It worked well. I vacuumed up the debris, including inside the steerer, wiped it all down, and removed the tape wad.

3. Here's a pic. It's not completely slammed, but looks much better than it did before (I cut off about 1.5 inches).

cut steerer.jpg
Old 12-21-16, 03:08 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use a sharpie and recip saw - just remove the stem and cut.

Goes through carbon like hot butter.

Old 12-21-16, 03:19 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Hot butter goes through crabon easily? Good to know.
Old 12-21-16, 03:52 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Hot butter goes through crabon easily? Good to know.
This is why Paula Dean is always all "Steel is Real!!!" - she can't ride carbon, too much butter dripping on the top tube and the next thing you know, it assplodes.

Old 12-21-16, 04:21 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'd love to watch some people here when they get a box of tubes, and need to cut the stays down to size.

I've done that with steel tubes, back in the day.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.