Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many patches before you trash the tube?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many patches before you trash the tube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 03:49 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
It saves time if you patch a few tubes at once. I get a few flats a year and patch them all at once during the winter. Then I have my supply of spares for the next year.
I do exactly the same thing. I have about 6 tubes waiting to be patched at the moment. I also always keep a new tube (as in never patched) in my seat pouch to ensure I have a good tube if I catch a puncture while out riding.
Old 08-06-19, 08:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
It saves time if you patch a few tubes at once. I get a few flats a year and patch them all at once during the winter. Then I have my supply of spares for the next year.
It also saves time if you throw the tube with a hole in it in the garbage. Then you save time by not having to patch a bunch of tubes during the winter.

Winter is fat biking season.

In any case...tires are moving in the tubeless direction. It's already a thing on mountain bikes and fat bikes...no need to have tubes on those bikes anymore. Road bikes are slowly getting there and tubes will be a thing of the past and then we won't have to have these discussions. Much like rim brakes will be a thing of the past since road bikes are now moving to disc brakes.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/press/...ts-on-tubeless

https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/21/fir...-500-tl-tires/
Old 08-06-19, 08:28 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I tend to patch a tube once. Tubes are cheap.
Old 08-06-19, 02:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
In any case...tires are moving in the tubeless direction. It's already a thing on mountain bikes and fat bikes...no need to have tubes on those bikes anymore. Road bikes are slowly getting there and tubes will be a thing of the past and then we won't have to have these discussions. Much like rim brakes will be a thing of the past since road bikes are now moving to disc brakes.
Yep, bicycle equipment is slowly but surely evolving to accommodate those who lack the skills or willingness to deal with things like quick releases, tubes, analog shifting, rim brakes, adjustable bearings, multiple chainrings, etc. Amazing that Presta valves have hung on this long!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-06-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 02:03 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Are you lost? You do realize that this is the C&V forum, right?
Likes For davester: